470     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 669     1 

TDSB Ponders Black-Focused Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you think about it, isn't the whole world afrocentric?

Migration_map4.png

Do you feel that segregated schools are good or bad?
If you feel they are bad, then you are wrong and are required to reevaluate your cultural intelligence....according to the authority on all things cultural.

The fact that we all crawled out of Africa seems to have flown way over his head.

You have not stated how this vague curriculum recommendation will help anyone; you have just assumed that it will.

I believe I have, in many ways, throughout the course of this thread. Agreed we can't please everyone but this initiative will please more diverse perspectives than the TDSB currently does. Even those who don't get represented will now have a platform to express their discontent in ways the current regime never could afford. Dealing with the special concerns of 40 or so black nationalities, cultures, histories is easier to do within a smaller environment than in a system catering to all ethnicities.

It's not racial diviseness as much as an extra push for underachievers to believe in something greater than themselves. To feel apart of a common history and culture that isn't related to 6 o'clock-headline-black-suspects-sought or MTV/BET dominated representations. Ask yourself, if negative stereotyping is all blacks see of themselves then where is the drive to accomplish any goals in life? This is an esteem-booster.

No one saying blacks are more important than other groups, if anything it's somewhat disabling to blacks who have made it to be under that cloud. Alot of drop-outs from other groups have a less publicized safety net to prevent a hardknock existence from reaching them. Most Blacks cannot economically compete with that, which is why the black community's asked for help.

My next post will demonstrate the number of black organizations that have rallied around the notion of black-focused schools, such that it's not a case of white elites dictating how blacks should be schooled but rather an outcry for social justice and equitable treatment from these communities themselves.

Black-focused school endorsed Community representatives say they're `united'

Black-focused school endorsed
Community representatives say they're `united' on controversial plan

Feb 08, 2008 04:30 AM
Louise Brown
Education Reporter
Toronto Star

A dozen groups have thrown their support behind an alternative Africentric school, stressing it would not be segregation, as Premier Dalton McGuinty has charged, but a way to "re-integrate" disengaged kids back into public schooling.

Students, teachers, activists and professors held a news conference yesterday at Queen's Park to support the controversial proposal adopted last week by the Toronto District School Board. They stressed that the school will not be exclusively for black students and teachers, and will enrich, not bypass, the Ontario curriculum.

"We understand the premier has an opinion, but we're excited about this school," said Grace-Edward Galabuzi, assistant professor of politics and public administration at Ryerson University. "It's a way of trying to re-integrate those young people who are disengaged back into public education."

Among the groups who hailed the alternative Africentric school yesterday are the Jane-Finch Concerned Citizens, the Jamaican-Canadian Association, the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists, African Canadian Heritage Association, the Canadian Alliance of Black Educators, the Ontario Parents of Black Children, the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants, the Ontario Federation of Labour, the Black Action Defence League and the Canadian Arab Federation.

"Our community is not strongly divided on this issue – our community is united," Galabuzi added, "although there are some who disagree, but that's not unlike any other community."

McGuinty has said he is disappointed Toronto trustees have chosen to launch an Africentric alternative school as a way to battle a 40 per cent dropout rate among black students.

He says he favours keeping students of all backgrounds together in public schools.

But Galabuzi noted Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code allow programs to be offered to specific groups, including racial groups, if they are meant to help compensate for a disadvantage.

"Equal treatment does not mean same treatment. Sometimes you have to do things differently for some groups to ensure equitable outcomes," said Galabuzi.

Krystle Skeete, 24, who has just graduated from York University in sociology, says she supports the idea because she remembers being inspired by a black teacher who taught her about such African-Canadians as pioneer newspaper publisher Mary Ann Shadd – lessons often not taught in mainstream schools.

"I think we should do everything; have anti-racist curriculum in all schools but also try an Africentric alternative school," said Skeete yesterday at the news conference. "Some schools don't teach black history at all. I know one 17-year-old who doesn't know who Nelson Mandela is. Yet look at the United States, where Africentric schools and black colleges do really well."

Parent Donna Harrow, one of the proponents of the school, said she is frustrated people keep claiming the school would be segregated. "It will be the Ontario curriculum enhanced by Africentric materials and a study of world history," she said yesterday.

Louis March has been running Saturday classes in Africentric and Jamaican enrichment for 39 years in Toronto and says he has watched an awareness of cultural heritage boost the esteem and academic success of thousands of black students.

"When they see themselves in the curriculum, it gives them a fighting chance; they walk tall and talk proud."

I still don't understand why we're using the term Africentric. Africa is a lot more than just sub-Saharan Black Africans, and includes millions of Arabs in from Morocco to Egypt, plus over four million Whites, two million Indo-Asians and over one-hundred thousand Jews in South Africa. Africa is not all Black.

Let's start calling this school Blackcentric, as Africa is not all black, and many of Toronto's Black population have no ties to Africa, as they're from the Caribbean or elsewhere other than Africa. Yes, yes...they've still got Africa in their blood, much as my Canadian-born kids have half English-blood from their White UK-born father, but that doesn't make them English.

I think Afro- or Africentric specificially engenders being of the Negroid race, much like Eurocentric labels whites/Caucasoids and Oriental, people of East Asian descent/Mongoloids. It in no way limits black history or diaspora to the African continent and it's really difficult to discuss black history without also mentioning the influences of other groups, including population demographics.

There is no such thing as a negroid race, so the premise of much of this debate is based on very outdate notions of human categorization. It adheres to the very concept of racism.

There is no such thing as a negroid race, so the premise of much of this debate is based on very outdate notions of human categorization. It adheres to the very concept of racism.
Ah, but you'll never get minority activists to agree on that one, because you can't have claims of racism, if we're all part of the same race, i.e. homo sapiens. Those wanting to claim racism would have to find a new term, such as the much less inflammatory "colour discrimination". Of course, the word discrimination has its positive uses as well, such as a discriminating chef choosing only the best cabbages.

As long as we have activist groups and a victim-industry that centres on the word race, instead of skin colour as a premise for their existence, you'll never get them to agree that we're all part of the same race.

Someone has seen the light ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D

Outdated? I thought that was anthropology 101. In this case homo sapiens would be the species with three major subspecies (races) and hybridizations of those groups (ethnicities).

Yes, ideally we'd all just get along but its not like we've come as far as we'd hope in pluralist societies. Either everyone assimilates and ditches their heritage altogether or be the racialized other and face possible discrimination. We still have a ways to go balancing out notions of dichotomies- dual national identities, dual cultural identities, dual ethno-racial identities, etc.

Outdated? I thought that was anthropology 101. In this case homo sapiens would be the species with three major subspecies (races) and hybridizations of those groups (ethnicities).

:confused:

subspecies?

Maybe Anthropology 101 from the 19th century, but hardly indicative of contemporary thinking. Homo sapiens is the species of humans, period. What has been referred to as race is outmoded. That has not stopped people from clinging to the idea for their own set of reasons.

As for culture, great emphasis has always been placed on difference (often tragically), all the while neglecting the greater degree of commonality among cultures.

Fair enough. I didn't look at it from that perspective. Racial/ethnic tensions largely equate class/economic tensions anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back