News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Target

That is odd. Before Christmas my wife was checking on things and always got a quick answer on the phone. She said that the staff on the phone and in store were the most helpful of any she dealt with around Christmas.

Maybe they cut back staff since then? I went to the one at Thorncliffe -- empty empty empty. And nobody answered the phone when I called.

One interesting data point: I was just at a Target in the States (Canton, MI) weekend before last and reconfirmed something I'd always noticed: Target stores in the States are never as crowded as Walmart, nor as hectic. They also always seem far less crammed full of stuff than Walmart does.

However, they are clearly much better stocked than their Canadian counterparts.
I agree with this assessment. I see the same when I go. In fact it is why I will go to Target in the US and not Walmart unless I have to.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/m/article/wal-mart-causes-a-revolution/

"In fact, Wal-Mart itself is finding it tough slogging in the depressed retail business. For the first time since 1970, the company's worldwide operations suffered a quarterly net profit decline in the three months ending Jan. 31, 1996. And some analysts say that Wal-Mart appears disappointed by its performance so far in Canada, noting that the chain recently replaced its Canadian president"

Not exactly the same, but not all seemed rosy when Walmart first entered Canada

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/m/article/wal-mart-causes-a-revolution/

"In fact, Wal-Mart itself is finding it tough slogging in the depressed retail business. For the first time since 1970, the company's worldwide operations suffered a quarterly net profit decline in the three months ending Jan. 31, 1996. And some analysts say that Wal-Mart appears disappointed by its performance so far in Canada, noting that the chain recently replaced its Canadian president"

Not exactly the same, but not all seemed rosy when Walmart first entered Canada
Walmart had all those old crappy Woolco locations. It was hard to work with those stores.

Target is just learning how Canadian consumers buy things (hint: it is different from Americans).

They should start by turning on the music throughout the store. Doesn't seem like a big thing, but it's odd that they've refused to have music in their stores. It's like walking into a dead zone. Not having customers makes things even worse, but I'm sure there have been studies on music in retail environments. This waws the first thing my kids noticed when we went in the first time.

I'm one of the apparently odd people who prefer stores not to be blasting music (which tends to be the volume level). I think it's genetic; my mother would often ask stores o turn it down or off, and they would.

Back