1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 568     0 

Tamil Protests downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what happens when the safe zone falls and the LTTE loses. Are we going to start seeing protests daily in Toronto? That would truly be worrisome.

Exactly how, realistically, do you think that can be accomplished? Does Canada have some spare amphibious assault task force we don't know about?

You didn't know? Canada is just pretending to be weak and peaceful. We have power over the nations. In fact we are the ones who have WMD :D *NOT*

what are the tamil tigers trying to achieve in sri lanka? is it political control over the whole island or just independence of lands inhabited by tamil people from the rest of sri lanka?

what are the tamil tigers trying to achieve in sri lanka? is it political control over the whole island or just independence of lands inhabited by tamil people from the rest of sri lanka?

Control over the northern provinces where they represent a majority. Some of those provinces they only have a majority by 2-3%. The provinces where they really have a majority have been out of the battle zone for a while now.

The legitimacy of the cause aside, what is to be debated are the tactics used by these protesters. Although, i don't like it, i can't challenge their right to assert themselves even if it means shutting down a highway. But the 'spontaneous' nature of the protest is what bothers me...running out into traffic and endangering others. Had they announced their protest before hand (like the truckers) and slowly brought traffic to a stop maybe it would be tolerable. But there is no excuse for endangering others.

I'll disagree. They're tresspassing and should be removed. If they want to protest, use Queens Park.

I doubt that the protests will have any affect on the foreign policy of Ontario.

Joking aside, it is disturbing to see the flag of the LTTE displayed so prominently. While there is most certainly a very legitimate concern over the fate of Tamil refugees in Sri Lanka and their on-going plight, there is a major disconnect between the action of (some of) the protesters here and the results they wish to achieve.

someone flew a plane over queen's park towing a banner stating "protect canada - stop the tamil tigers". they also hung a banner with the same statement on a bridge over the dvp.

http://www.thestar.com/article/633549

what's with the align formatting?

is it really necessary?

icon5.gif

I only did it as a joke to spite 'Mystic Point'.

I just heard the protestors have hired a pilot to advance their cause...

It's like tic-tac-toe.

I was wondering when we'd see a counter protest. We'll finally see some balance in the messaging.

I only did it as a joke to spite 'Mystic Point'.

I just heard the protestors have hired a pilot to advance their cause...

It's like tic-tac-toe.

i know why you did it. it wasn't aimed at you.

p.s, i heard the same thing. makes you wonder if the first message was done by the person who owns the plane in an effort to advertise his services, hoping the tamils will pay him to put up their message as well.

it's unfortunate that those who are politicizing the protest by waving tamil tiger flags are screwing up things for those who who are not taking sides and just want the killing to stop.

why bring political baggage into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back