642     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 493     0 

Susan Boyle, the wee Scottish lady who sings

jade_lee

Member Bio
Reaction score
Historyscoper says of Susan Boyle:

She wants to be another Elaine Paige! Paige isn't fit to shine her boots!

She doesn't need to win Britain's Got Talent. She is Britain's talent. Simon should immediately back her with his dough and get her in a studio cranking out albums. She needs at least a ten million pound signing bonus, don't you think, plus a 50-50 split on all royalties? She should hold off live performances until she's preserved her great talent in a studio.

The interesting thing about Susan Boyle is that she is a joy to watch. A woman with the spirit of middle age and knowledge of her own gift. I say film some broadway hits with Susan getting most of the close ups. The masses want to enjoy her talent too, it's obvious that this woman loves to sing. Her silly audition dance oozed a big personality. Totally crazy how poor Susan took it upon herself to expose the virgin never been kissed scenario of her life from the get go. How unique at almost 48 :eek:. She has the attention of world. Her 15 minutes have lingered on since April 16. I personally have watched her belt out that glorious note over and over again. Music joy, we all know what it compares to , even Susan Boyle. I didn't detect a shy bone in her repitoire. She boldly disagrees with Simon flat out
when he calls her a little tiger......she is not a tiger, not a cougar, she is beyond her own expectations really. Her voice is somehow far sweeter in depth than Paige's and soulful, yes it's soulful.

Last edited:
Why does she need a makeover? Her voice is great, she has an awesome personality, and I think there's like 20 million people who would probably pay to see her perform now. I know I would, given the chance, and it's not even a style that I like

I think her authenticity is part of the appeal. In a way it would actually make her less engaging if she were all perfectly done up and made to look like every other star

Does she walk on water, too?

Nothing against the woman, just against the fawning over her.

God, I'm already sick of this woman.

She's all over the news and television. I get it, she's ugly but she can sing! SHOCKING!!!!!!!

It appears to be have taken the record for most watched video in shortest amount of time.

I think on Youtube alone 6 different versions of the same video has a combined 40 million hits.

I wonder what the most watched video.

Some say its Star Wars Kid while others say Evolution of dance.

I've read a plethora of articles and blog entries about this whole deal and they yammer on about why this touches us so but I can sum it up thus: we expect absolutely nothing from ugly people.

I've read a plethora of articles and blog entries about this whole deal and they yammer on about why this touches us so but I can sum it up thus: we expect absolutely nothing from ugly people.

We especially expect absolutely nothing from ugly women. I personally don't find her to be exceptionally ugly just sort of average for her age and socio-economic background, but I guess "TV ugly" is different from real life ugly. While I didn't spend too much time looking into this, I found Tanyo Gold's article in the Guardian to be a pretty good summary of the whole thing.

We especially expect absolutely nothing from ugly women. I personally don't find her to be exceptionally ugly just sort of average for her age and socio-economic background, but I guess "TV ugly" is different from real life ugly. While I didn't spend too much time looking into this, I found Tanyo Gold's article in the Guardian to be a pretty good summary of the whole thing.

Ah, thank you. I just read that article and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

It's people who watch shows like this, that are all amazed. Personally I'd love to see all these types of shows just die.
All they've done is give us Kelly Clarkson, etc. No thanks.

It's people who watch shows like this, that are all amazed. Personally I'd love to see all these types of shows just die.
All they've done is give us Kelly Clarkson, etc. No thanks.

I agree. It's the Kelly Clarkson type of woman that has been promoted by these people that sets the bar for physical appearance that this woman had to stand up against. It's the context - the sniggering audience and sceptical judges - that make this woman notable. It's not like outside of this context examples don't exist of less attractive (however subjective that might be) women can't be successful in music. I mean, I don't think many people would line up to see Rita MacNeil naked, but she's certainly successful (at least in a Canadian context).

Louise Pitre says, " Any note above a B flat held for any length of time gets a standing ovation. It's the weirdest thing."
People watching this video are not reacting to Susan Boyle's looks, they are reacting to her singing voice.
As far as my previous tongue in cheek remark about a make over for this woman, c'mon, all of us adore looking our best and why not!
I don't see this singing sensation going away any time soon.

Back