News   May 06, 2024
 507     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 688     1 

Superstorm Sandy's Effect on Toronto

I was on the balcony having a cigarette a few minutes ago (only a whisper of a wind on the south side where I am) and saw a bright flash just east of the Distillery District, presumably a transformer blew. Within about one minute I looked over that way again and all the lights were back on which was dark when I looked that way after the flash. I guess Toronto Hydro can switch power somehow if a transformer blows?

Edit: 5am, the area went dark again at about 3:30 & is still dark. What I can see from my POV are the lights on the Gardiner are all out through that section.

Last edited:
I'm in Leslieville and we escaped unscathed. No power outages but I hear that directly east of us, in the Beaches, that happened. Some pretty hefty tree debris in the street this morning, though. Looks like nothing significant landed on anyone's cars, thankfully. Early yesterday I took the precautions of cleaning out my eaves troughs (turns out we didn't get nearly the rain they were predicting, so no flooding issues here) and stowing away stuff on the decks that could have gone flying, especially for our top deck; wouldn't do to have a plastic lawn chair chair come sailing into someone's bedroom window.

Compared to NYC and other places on the American eastern seaboard, we were very fortunate.

I was woken this morning at 2:45am with a huge crash outside my bedroom window.

I live on the 5th floor of the Luna Vista building in Cityplace - there was shattered glass all over my terrace - and the roof of the podium between my building and Luna - I assumes it's someone's balcony glass from up above.

I went out this morning and looked up but couldn't see anything from my building.

Started to walk to work and noticed that a piece of the spandrel was missing from Montage - and the glass that was shattered on my balcony was this grey colour.

IMG-20121030-01346.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20121030-01346.jpg
    IMG-20121030-01346.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Remarkable. At some point I was concerned of exactly that happening in my condo last night. The strength of the vacuum generated behind wind gusts was remarkable and could be felt in the walls of my apartment.

I don't even want to think about what it must have been like for the people of New York.

There was some damage an office tower on York. The sidewalks were closed between King and Wellington this morning.

It sucks there accidents like that sign falling on that poor old lady, and the random fire at the Roots Store, but overall damage to our city was minimal. I slept like a baby last night, some friends were telling me their new condos were moving and shaking, sucking and blowing, toilet water rising and falling. I couldn't relate. I believe my building's ventilation system automatically removes excess indoor air-pressure. No power outage either.

I noticed the North revolving door (Gerrard entrance) at the Delta this morning had a warning for flying glass - and noticed there were a few missing panes along the south side of the Aura tower about the 30th floor. I took a pic but don't know where to mount it here.

Yikes!

I noticed the North revolving door (Gerrard entrance) at the Delta this morning had a warning for falling glass - and noticed there were a few missing panes along the south side of the Aura tower about the 30th floor..

IMG-20121030-00001.jpg

(Sorry - had issues with the file)

Yikes!

Attachments

• IMG-20121030-00001.jpg
    IMG-20121030-00001.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
If you look out the Yonge subway train from south of Davisville, you'll see what's left of a pair of humongous old willows in Mount Pleasant Cemetery that were pretty much ripped to pieces by Sandy...

Willows are notorious for losing limbs or being uprooted in storms. Their branches are very fragile. Thankfully they're extremely fast growing trees.

Back