Sun: Your (Metro)pass to top attractions

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/05/27/9581836-sun.html

Your (Metro)pass to top attractions

By BRYN WEESE

Last Updated: 27th May 2009, 3:45am

Starting this summer, a TTC Metropass might get you into more than a subway station.

As of Canada Day, it will also score you discounts of up to 20% at the Toronto Zoo, CN Tower, Ontario Science Centre, Casa Loma and Ontario Place, thanks to a new, cross-marketing initiative, dubbed Metropass Hot Dealz.

Transit officials hope the list of deals that can be offered to Metropass holders will grow in the coming weeks, according to TTC Chairman Adam Giambrone.

"Ultimately, you'll be able to use your Metropass for discounts," Giambrone said. "Really, it bolsters the value of the Metropass, and for corporate partners, they use it as a marketing tool."

You can already buy a monthly Metropass with 850 Air Miles.

"We have 260,000 people a month who buy a Metropass, so that's a nice marketing tool," he said.

A TTC staff report to tomorrow's commission meeting says the year-long program is designed to increase Metropass sales.

"In order to reward Metropass purchasers and encourage additional pass sales, marketing staff were asked to solicit co-operating partners who would be willing to extend benefits/privileges to this segment of TTC riders under the auspices of Metropass Affinity Plan," according to the report.

The local attractions that are currently participating responded "very favourably," according to the report, which adds that TTC officials will attempt to find more partners before July 1.

Wow! The continent's most expensive transit pass now gets you minor discounts into the world's most expensive museums!

Wow! The continent's most expensive transit pass now gets you minor discounts into the world's most expensive museums!
You should at least qualify that with "local transit". I pay twice the cost of a metropass for my GO pass.

So we swapped free parking at suburban stations for discounts at tourist attractions? Is someone playing with funny numbers over there?

You should at least qualify that with "local transit". I pay twice the cost of a metropass for my GO pass.

Touché!

Or you can just go to a library and get a free pass...

That's a great idea, but you have to really search for a needle in a haystack for this, and it is only limited to 5 passes per library per week. I'm sure many of those passes get thrown away/given to insiders just because it's not worth the hassle.

For the handful of families who aren't lucky enough to get a hold of these free passes, taking the family out to the AGO is a whopping $45. The ROM is even worse - $22 for adults and a ridiculous $19 for high school students with ID. This is highway robbery when you consider that museums like the Met have a suggested donation of $5 and the entire Smithsonian collection is free.

I totally agree prices for attractions in this city are way too high. Transit not really.

And hey museums in New York, Washington or London may be free or near free but the governments that pay for that privelage are approaching bankrupcy! Smithsonian 2009 free. Smithsonian 2050 $200 per adult!

For the handful of families who aren't lucky enough to get a hold of these free passes, taking the family out to the AGO is a whopping $45. The ROM is even worse - $22 for adults and a ridiculous $19 for high school students with ID. This is highway robbery when you consider that museums like the Met have a suggested donation of $5 and the entire Smithsonian collection is free.

I didn't notice the ROM is more expensive than the Zoo now - the Zoo is $21 per adult, $13 per kid, and $8 per car (although the car only gets to see whatever fauna wanders through the parking lot).

I sure hope these institutions are successfully courting tourists...

Back