2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 820     0 

Subway sign in front of opera house

W

wyliepoon

As I passed by University Avenue and Queen Street today I noticed that the TTC has put up a new subway sign in front of the Four Seasons Centre. I don't know what you think about this, but the sign looks rather strange to me... maybe I'm not used to seeing the classic TTC font on a sign that looks so new with the Arial font.

P1060587.jpg

I think it would be a good idea to have a unique subway sign for this location. How about we get Paris to donate a Guimard entrance to us like it did to Montreal...

guimard.jpg

guimard.jpg

^That style always reminds me of the 1950's "War of the Worlds" spacecraft.

don't you think a nyc subway entrance would be more appropriate?

Yes, I am very glad to see the TTC using the classic font. It should be used on all signs.

If you look around, you'll notice more and more of that sign format.
Which also means (with some sadness) an implicit RIP to the simple TTC logo in a moulded-plastic round-cornered rectangle, often hung from a 45-degree curved steel pole...

Some sadness, but not too much. I really like this new look. There's something boldly declarative and unashamed about TTC-font 'SUBWAY.'

That's a great sign.

I wouldn't mind seeing one that consists entirely of the logo, lit up, with subway underneath. That would probably be too rich for them, but combined with some nice, unique subway entrances it would be fantastic.

I think the sign looks great. It has the word "subway" so people from out of town can figure out what that red TTC shield means on the sign, the colour of the line is indicated by the stripe, and the symbols of handicapped accessible and subway are shown. Great use of the TTC font as well. I think if Osgoode had been in the TTC font it would have been overkill since that would force all-caps and switch the emphasis from Subway to Osgoode.

So does that mean the new entrance is now open? I haven't tried that one out yet.

I do like the return of the use of the subway font - this was been marked by the use of it on the Sheppard line, the titles in the ride guides, the use of it for spelling out "Toronto Transit Commission" on offical documents.

I would not necessarily advocate widespread use for signage as it is not the easiest font to read, but station names and titles are good. The TTC should use only two fonts - an easy to read sans-serif font for wayfinding (along with the symbols) and notices, and the TTC font in applications such as those above. I do not like the mish-mash of fonts that are now used all over.

The last time I checked - a couple of days ago - the tunnel from Osgoode station into the FSCPA still isn't open.

^Thanks for the pic...that's exactly what I was thinking! Except maybe a little bigger.

Back