News   Oct 02, 2024
 572     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 569     0 

Subway Interlining ...

LowerBay

Member Bio
Reaction score
Once both BD and YUS are fully automated in the next few years and are able to handle more trains with smoother merging, what do you all think of the possibility of re-interlining Bloor-Danforth with University in the AM and PM rush hours through the old wye connection under Avenue Road?

Once both BD and YUS are fully automated in the next few years and are able to handle more trains with smoother merging, what do you all think of the possibility of re-interlining Bloor-Danforth with University in the AM and PM rush hours through the old wye connection under Avenue Road?
I'd say it's about the same as the Yonge line being extended further south to Rochester.

While it'd have great advantages in terms of relieving the Yonge line and Yonge-Bloor station, the problem is that all the lines run much closer to full capacity than they did when they were first built. It just wouldn't be enough to have only half the trains run west to Kipling or north to Downsview.

Not one in two, but one in three. Every 3rd Bloor train from the east and west goes downtown (and leaves downtown) via University in the AM and PM rushes. Service along Spadina is reduced slightly to compensate. The NEXT TRAIN OneStop screens could be used to announce the timing of the next downtown-bound train.

It always bothered me that the TTC killed the integrated system. It was far more sophisticated than anything we have today.

The problem is that service along not only Spadina but also Bloor would have to be reduced not slightly, but by pretty much a full third. Since the trains would leave the B-D between Yonge and Bay, a third of the trains from the west would have to turn back at Bay (or likely St. George because of the location of crossovers). Both Spadina and, especially, Bloor trains are pretty much full in peak periods. They just can't afford a reduction in frequency by a third.

That's based on today's track time. When automated, the lines will be able to accept three trains for every two running today -- that creates the extra room to add or change existing e-w trains to wye trains. Scheduling would be difficult, but not impossible.

You'd be creating a disaster waiting to happen. Some of the thing that TTC comes up with are daft - but I don't think evey they would go that far!

Does anyone remember the commuter perplexment when they briefly rejigged the lines to allow for tunnel reconstruction btw/St George & Bay a couple of years ago? Take that as a warning...

It is more than just signaling, there is switching that would have to be involved - more moving parts - the system will break more often. The interlining was stopped because it was causing too much operational problems.

Now if they build the DRL - it would be nice if they could figure if they could orient the tracks and transfer points like in Montreal, where you cross the platform to transfer - fairly quickly.

TTC has no plans to put the new Rocket train on the BD when it comes time to replace the TI's that will be move there over the next few years 100%

If the YUS trains go to 7 cars, here is no need for them on the BD.

The short answer is "No" interlining will every take place as claim by TTC.

The interlining I'd like to see is a circle line of sorts running from Union, up University through Lower Bay, and back down Yonge to Union. I don't know whether something like this is even remotely feasible, or even necessary, but it would probably be worth thinking about.

Back