1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 546     0 

Strike TWO!

D

dan e 1980

Surprises mark Canada's new Conservative cabinet

By Randall Palmer and Gilbert Le Gras Mon Feb 6, 6:12 PM ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's new prime minister, Stephen Harper, unveiled some surprise cabinet choices on Monday and vowed to end the sort of corruption scandals that drove Liberal Prime Minister Paul Martin from power.

Harper, who formally took power on Monday after 12 years of Liberal rule, poached former Liberal minister David Emerson of Vancouver to be trade minister and went against tradition by installing an unelected businessman as public works minister in order to have cabinet representation from Montreal.

Harper also recognized that his government, elected on January 23 with only a minority in the House of Commons, will have to tread carefully to get legislation past opposition parties.

"We know that governing in a minority is not going to be easy," said Harper. "But we have our legislative and governmental priorities and we will work together with others to find shared goals and common ideas."

His choice of Emerson for cabinet, as well as that of banker Michael Fortier, though he was not elected, drew immediate opposition. While cabinet members need not be elected to the House of Commons, it is a long-standing tradition that they are.

Harper's choice of Gordon O'Connor as defense minister also raised eyebrows, since he had served as a defense lobbyist after retiring as a general.

Liberal opposition leader Bill Graham pointed out that Harper had campaigned on preventing ministers and their staff from becoming lobbyists, and now was appointing a former lobbyist as a minister.

"It seems to me rather curious that we should have gone in reverse," said Graham, formerly defense minister himself.

Harper countered that he wanted to guard against public servants enriching themselves but said that past work in industry did not constitute a conflict of interest now.

The Conservatives won parliamentary seats in most regions of the country, but were shut out of the three largest cities -- Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver -- and Harper said that was what motivated him to pick Emerson and Fortier.

He will appoint Fortier to the Senate on the understanding that he will seek to be elected to the House of Commons in the next election.

Harper, a 46-year-old economist, is the fifth youngest person to take up the job since Canada gained independence from Britain in 1867.

He campaigned against what he said were Liberal corruption and excess and arrived for the formal ceremony in a family minivan rather than the usual prime ministerial limousine.

He reiterated a promise to lower taxes, starting with a cut to the federal sales tax. He also has pledged to clamp down on crime, clean up government, work to reduce health waiting lists and give more money to the provinces.

Emerson's defection from the Liberals means the Conservatives have 125 of the 308 seats in the House of Commons, compared with 102 for the Liberals. A party needs 155 seats to form a majority.

The new total means that Harper might be able to rely on any one of the three opposition parties to get a bill through -- including the 29 left-leaning New Democrats, especially if Liberal Peter Milliken stays on as the speaker of the House, who votes only in case of a tie.

Harper's cabinet has just 27 members, down from the almost 40 ministers who served under outgoing Liberal Prime Minister Paul Martin.

"My smaller cabinet and more streamlined cabinet structure are designed for work -- not for show," said Harper.

Only one new member of the cabinet, Rob Nicholson, had previous experience in the last federal Conservative government, which fell in October 1993.

The new finance minister is Jim Flaherty, who held the same post in Ontario's provincial government, while Harper's deputy, Peter MacKay, becomes foreign minister.

(Additional reporting by David Ljunggren)

-mind you he was also a former Brigadier General who has actual experience serving in the Canadian Army so for a Minister of National Defence I guess he would be, like, knowledgeable on the issues?

weather he's good or not, that's not the issue. day 2 and harper has gone against yet another one of his principles.

Liberal opposition leader Bill Graham pointed out that Harper had campaigned on preventing ministers and their staff from becoming lobbyists, and now was appointing a former lobbyist as a minister.

Excuse me for disagreeing with this point, but he said nothing about excluding anyone that worked as a lobbiest from working in government. After leaving the military he worked as a lobbiest -- no comment on whether he did anything wrong here -- if there is then maybe there is a point. Are you saying that if you have previously worked in certain jobs that you are no longer equal to others -- that you can no longer be elected to government -- that you can no longer serve in cabinet? In fact, he is actually giving up much more than others that have chosen to serve in government -- assuming that Harper implements his plans. He can not go back and work as a lobbiest (for a specified time I believe) after leaving government.

The proposed legislation is to stop people from leaving government AND using there contacts that they made WHILE IN GOVERNMENT to benefit themselves.

it is ten times worse when a person is a lobbyist first. he didn't get into politics to serve canada, he got into politics because that is the best avenue for his agenda to be realized.

it's the same shit, just a different pile.

BULL!

If you have evidence that he is corrupt, post it.

no evidence, just speculating and for a good reason too - IT'S A CONFLICT OF INTREST.

No, it is not a conflict of interest (unless you can show that that he is still involved in his old job).

and how am i supposed to show? without wiretaps or anything of that nature, nobody will ever know.

while we're at it, lets make someone formerly from snc lavalin transport minister. it's not a conflic of intrest. they know alot about transportation.

lets make someone that used to have a high position at syncrude the minister of the environment. they know alot about the environment. there's no conflit of intrest there either.

Interesting to note that the Sun has two editorials today, entitled "This is a !!&?@? change?" and "Political pork tops principle".

First we have someone crossing the floor within minutes of the new government, and now we already have disillusionment from folks like the Sun. My predictions have been spot-on; I just never expected them to happen so quickly.

And what happened to Harper pushing for government accountability? He used to utter that phrase every other sentence. Now all that discussion has suddenly dried up. This was probably the only issue that I agreed with the Conservatives on, as did many Canadians who voted for them as well. My prediction, expect to see discussions about provincial autonomy go no where and for things to really heat up by the time this government falls.

And just to add to the debate a little more, what about Micheal Fortier? He seems to be a secondary story, but as has been pointed out by many, it is very odd that Harper would put an unelected person into not just any cabinet position, but Minister of Public Works at that (remember that from back in the Liberal, Ad scandal days). Again, all the pre-election talk about accountability and now the new Minister of Public Works is unnacountable by any in the House of Commons.

From Harpers own personal, political agenda and gains point of view, this might very well be a good thing for him. But given what he has been saying the last 2 months about being different than the Liberals and being an outlet for change, his moves have been directly in the face of all that he uttered during the election.

No, he said the Accountability act as specified in his platform will be one of the first bills brought before the house.

If he misses that one -- I will be really surprised

I also expect him to pass legislation requiring that all further permanent selections to the senate be elected (I would not be surprised if he left open the temporary selection to the senate to fill regional representation for the cabinet -- since that has been done before).

and how am i supposed to show? without wiretaps or anything of that nature, nobody will ever know.

Observation. Giving the person a chance and watching his actions.

while we're at it, lets make someone formerly from snc lavalin transport minister. it's not a conflic of intrest. they know alot about transportation.

No problem

lets make someone that used to have a high position at syncrude the minister of the environment. they know alot about the environment. there's no conflit of intrest there either.

This is a bad analogy, he was formerly a high ranking military official -- knowledgeable in that area (no conflict representing the portfolio he was given), your analogy is well.... stupid politically anyways.

What you are getting at is that any cabinet minister that actually has any knowledge gained through experience in that area..... should be banned from being a cabinet minister in that area.... Sounds like you want a completely incompetant government.

What you are getting at is that any cabinet minister that actually has any knowledge gained through experience in that area..... should be banned from being a cabinet minister in that area.... Sounds like you want a completely incompetant government.

no. it's one thing to be experienced it's another to be a lobbyist.

if he uses his position to help the military, all the power to him. if he uses it to benefit some corporate friends at the expense of the military and canada, i'm against that.

Under the political climate that is post-Gomery, I don't think any party has the wiggle room on accountablility legislations regardless of who won the last election. So really, I found the attempted monopoly on the issue by Harper a little disingenious.

AoD

Back