News   Jul 11, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 641     1 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

2024-06-03 23:10 York St
York St 1.jpg
York St 2.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, MLX are certainly not too speedy and I assume have still done nothing from Queen to Richmond. Sigh!
From their work with trains one assumes they confused the sound of deadlines wooshing by with success. To be fair they aren't technically late yet, but unless they have some novel construction technique I don't see how they finish the intersection work at York & Richmond by June 7th.

I was thinking the same thing, MLX are certainly not too speedy and I assume have still done nothing from Queen to Richmond. Sigh!
Until this section is completed, cannot move to the Queen-Richmond area. As far as I can tell, the south lane on Richmond will have track across it to allow for one lane of traffic to get by the rest of Richmond lanes work when it takes place after Q-R work which is dumb.

Then there the closing of Queen St for eastbound when it comes time to build the southbound switch.

It will be interesting to see how they open the section between A-R as either full northbound or as a 2 way street as plan. It going to confuse drivers when it become 2 way and should happen day one.

From their work with trains one assumes they confused the sound of deadlines wooshing by with success. To be fair they aren't technically late yet, but unless they have some novel construction technique I don't see how they finish the intersection work at York & Richmond by June 7th.
Doing Richmond intersection by June the 7 can be had if Richmond is close at Bay with access to the hotel only doing the TTC thing that will allow for unfinished trackwork at Richmond to be completed. This would be out of order from what I know and being the right thing in the first place.

Work would have to start Friday at about 9 pm on a 7/24 schedule to be completed by Monday and hope the weather holds up to do it.

2024-06-04 22:28 : Finally some progress ...View attachment 569736
That will be pour on Wednesday subject to weather. It doesn't look they poured the concrete at Richmond. If Richmond intersection is to be done this weekend that has been pointed out, that missing section will be done when the intersection is being done along with the splicing of the rails. That is how it should be done, not the way ML was planning on doing it.

The road will have to be strip for north and southbound traffic that will confused a lot of drivers who park in the new southbound lanes let along drivers going north to turn left onto Richmond.

Good to see but until the section north of Richmond to Queen is built and is working it will not help TTC service. Of course, TTC also need to complete the overhead on Adelaide & York - they are moving slowly onwards but ....
Centre topcoat could be pour on Friday subject to weather. Once dry, they could strip the lanes, but still no good until the tracks cross Richmond.

TTC is expecting it to be in service come September for streetcar service and what is the rush to get it done sooner so say Metrolinx?

Sooner the tracks are done along with the overhead system, transit will become a lot better than it is today for everyone. This is not as bad as Mobilinx doing the Hurontario LRT that moves a crew from one area to another area every so often to say we are going something, but not completing the work that has started in the first place. In place of opening up at the end of 2024, it is now 2026 and that is questionable.

Centre topcoat could be pour on Friday subject to weather. Once dry, they could strip the lanes, but still no good until the tracks cross Richmond.

TTC is expecting it to be in service come September for streetcar service and what is the rush to get it done sooner so say Metrolinx?

Sooner the tracks are done along with the overhead system, transit will become a lot better than it is today for everyone. This is not as bad as Mobilinx doing the Hurontario LRT that moves a crew from one area to another area every so often to say we are going something, but not completing the work that has started in the first place. In place of opening up at the end of 2024, it is now 2026 and that is questionable.
Yes, if anyone REALLY cared about transit service, the blockage of Queen @ Yonge would not have been permitted until this diversion was in place and 'they' would be working on it 24/7.

Yes, if anyone REALLY cared about transit service, the blockage of Queen @ Yonge would not have been permitted until this diversion was in place and 'they' would be working on it 24/7.
7/24 is long over due on construction project, especially on streets. It will have an impact on local residents, but they need to understand the sooner it done, the less noise and disruption they will have to put up with.

There is so much infrastructure that need to be replace as they are well past their life cycle, the 7/24 must happen. To continue to do things at a snail pace is going to have things fail faster that it will cause a bigger and expensive mess in the end.

This project was poorly plan as well coordinated as will continuing the city practice of one hand not knowing what the other is doing considering it was supposed to be fix after the St Clair mess..

Back