News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 619     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

Don't be rude. I'm not being rude to you.

I'm asking an honest question - when's the last time most people used the library? It has nothing to do with me.

It has everything to do with you. You said "no one would notice" if they close them all. You can say that because you think your experience is the same as everyone elses.
It's not.

The information showing the volume of people TPL serves is easily available, but better still is to actually go to a library and see for yourself. Last year was a record year for visits.

For reference, I have never been in a TPL branch.

Last edited:
The information showing the volume of people TPL serves is easily available, but better still is to actually go to a library and see for yourself. Last year was a record year for visits.

Fair enough. If the numbers do in fact show that people are using libraries in record numbers then I stand corrected.

Don't be rude. I'm not being rude to you.

I'm asking an honest question - when's the last time most people used the library? It has nothing to do with me.

I take out roughly 1 book per month (more in winter, fewer in summer) for personal use.

My business takes out 20 to 30 per year which I make staff read (yes, they're job related but not worth buying).

Last edited:
3C405604-614B-4F63-9696-09015099DE36.jpeg

I'm curious why only to York Street, but nothing on the east side of Church St. Won't they need the Queen St. ROW up to Sherbourne or Berkeley St?

I'm curious why only to York Street, but nothing on the east side of Church St. Won't they need the Queen St. ROW up to Sherbourne or Berkeley St?
The tracks and station at (west of) Queen/Sherbourne aren't under Queen, they run just to the north. Presumably this has been done to avoid having to close Queen Street.

1657922870569.png

MM13.23 - Purchase Order Amendment on Contract with Midome Construction Services Limited for the New Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide Street - by Deputy Mayor Ausma Malik, seconded by Councillor Alejandra Bravo​

Motion without Notice
Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 10 - Spadina - Fort York
Attention
* This Motion has been deemed urgent by the Chair.
* This Motion is not subject to a vote to waive referral. This Motion has been added to the agenda and is before Council for debate.

Recommendations​

Deputy Mayor Ausma Malik, seconded by Councillor Alejandra Bravo, recommends that:

1. City Council authorize an amendment to Purchase Order #6054610 and Contract 23ECS-RD-09SP with Midome Construction Services Limited for the installation of new streetcar tracks and associated infrastructure on Adelaide Street, between York Street and Victoria Street in the amount of $3,376,905.60 net of Harmonized Sales Tax, revising the current Purchase Order value from $40,240,992 net of Harmonized Sales Tax to up to $43,617,897.60 net of Harmonized Sales Tax.

Summary​

The purpose of this Motion is to seek on behalf of the Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering and Construction Services and the General Manager, Transportation Services, City Council's authorization to amend Purchase Order #6054610 and contract 23ECS-RD-09SP with Midome Construction Services Limited dated March 29, 2023, for the installation of new streetcar tracks and associated infrastructure on Adelaide Street, between York Street and Victoria Street. This work is a part of the planned streetcar detour around the Ontario Line Queen Street closure.

The project, delivered by the City and funded by Metrolinx, is progressing well and is on schedule for completion by spring 2024. In accordance with Item 2023-GG2.16, approved by City Council on March 29, 2023, Midome Construction Services Limited was awarded a non-competitive contract totalling $40,240,992, exclusive of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries to deliver the work. While the final approved agreement and purchase order from Metrolinx to the City includes contingency funds totalling $3,376,905.60, net of Harmonized Sales Tax, the original council-approved contract and Purchase Order did not include these contingency funds. This omission was due to the streetcar detour works agreement between the City and Metrolinx not being finalized and signed until March 29, 2023, the same day the construction contract was approved by Toronto City Council.

To enable the utilization of the contingency amount within the awarded contract to Midome, City Council approval is required.

The total value of the Purchase Order Amendment being requested is $3,376,905.60, net of Harmonized Sales Tax, revising the current Purchase Order value from $40,240,992 net of Harmonized Sales Tax to up to $43,617,897.60 net of Harmonized Sales Tax. The full value of this Purchase Order Amendment will be funded by Metrolinx, in accordance with the City’s agreement with Metrolinx and the TTC dated March 29, 2023. Given the urgent nature of this work, the Metrolinx-funded works will temporarily be accommodated within the 2023-2032 Transportation Services Major Roads Rehabilitation capital budget (CTP 315-06) until a budget adjustment is made in the subsequent capital variance report.

Reason for urgency: Construction work is currently taking place on Adelaide Street.

Jan 14
Took a drive on Adelaide off University and a parking lot. Took about 5 lights for Bay and York St to get through the intersections. Bearly made it cross Victoria using the left turn lane as 3 streetcars parked on the tracks.

Still ongoing work west of Victoria. Paving has taken place west of Bay and I am not sure what is happening at Sheppard. Sheppard looks the same way as I saw it New Year Eve. Hard to say when that last block of trackwork will happen.

Let's see how long it takes TTC to install the OS considering they should be doing it now for what has been completed. Not holding my breath for when streetcars start using Adelaide as plan.

There is a short stretch
Jan 14
Took a drive on Adelaide off University and a parking lot. Took about 5 lights for Bay and York St to get through the intersections. Bearly made it cross Victoria using the left turn lane as 3 streetcars parked on the tracks.

Still ongoing work west of Victoria. Paving has taken place west of Bay and I am not sure what is happening at Sheppard. Sheppard looks the same way as I saw it New Year Eve. Hard to say when that last block of trackwork will happen.

Let's see how long it takes TTC to install the OS considering they should be doing it now for what has been completed. Not holding my breath for when streetcars start using Adelaide as plan.
There is a short piece needing track just west of Victoria and a longer stretch - 50 metres - just west of Bay. Both due to utility vaults being rebuilt. As you note, no sign of any overhead. However, the big problem is that there is no southbound track between Queen and York and this section is being done by Metrolinx. ((No, I do not know why). Until all is done the 501 detour is impossible.

There is a short stretch

There is a short piece needing track just west of Victoria and a longer stretch - 50 metres - just west of Bay. Both due to utility vaults being rebuilt. As you note, no sign of any overhead. However, the big problem is that there is no southbound track between Queen and York and this section is being done by Metrolinx. ((No, I do not know why). Until all is done the 501 detour is impossible.
Southbound been held up with work at York. There is nothing stopping TTC installing the southbound switch off Queen. That would speed things up once work is done at Richmond. The switch work would have an impact on access to parking under Four Season as well to the hotel.

As to Victoria work, that area been that way for the last 6 months with the work area increasing size wise. Only when that work is done, the missing section can be completed.

Looking at the area between Bay and Sheppard NYE, it looked that most of the work was done, but wasn't sure at Sheppard Intersection. Most of the area was plank over and most of it has been paved. The only planking was still in place for the intersection when I drove by it with no one on site. May see the trackwork by Feb.

Once all the trackwork is done along with the OS as well, streetcar can return to Adelaide until the York trackwork is done.

Southbound been held up with work at York. There is nothing stopping TTC installing the southbound switch off Queen.
It is my understanding (confirmed by this map) that Metrolinx are responsible for all work ON York St north of Adelaide (including the switch from Queen). That said, the work clearly needs to get done. Utility work is still ongoing at corner of York/Richmond but will ML be ready when this finishes? God knows why anyone thought ML would be good at doing this section but ...

1705414299598.png

That would speed things up once work is done at Richmond. The switch work would have an impact on access to parking under Four Season as well to the hotel.

As to Victoria work, that area been that way for the last 6 months with the work area increasing size wise. Only when that work is done, the missing section can be completed.
There is short stretch of missing track (ca 15 meters) on Adelaide just west of Victoria due to on-going utility work. They have been working on it this week and I suspect that they will be out of the area soon and when weather warms up the TTC will pour the concrete track bases and lay the tracks. (There is a badly sunk TTC streetcar track drain on Adelaide @ Toronto Street that they might want to fix while they have crews in the area).
Looking at the area between Bay and Sheppard NYE, it looked that most of the work was done, but wasn't sure at Sheppard Intersection. Most of the area was plank over and most of it has been paved. The only planking was still in place for the intersection when I drove by it with no one on site. May see the trackwork by Feb.
Unless it has happened in the last week (and I do not think it has) neither the track nor the concrete base layers have been laid on Adelaide between the west side of Bay to about Sheppard. Until Christmas they were still working on utility pits plus a large utility conduit trench in this area but this utility work may be done except for the vault covers so when it warms up it should be possible for TTC to pour base concrete and lay tracks.

On Adelaide, though the bulk of the utility work is done, many of the new vaults are still covered by temporary metal plates - they need proper lids.
Once all the trackwork is done along with the OS as well, streetcar can return to Adelaide until the York trackwork is done.
Indeed, no streetcars will run until the TTC get their act together to install overhead but I will be surprised to see any service on Adelaide until the loop via Richmond/York is also done. The main purpose of all this is to get the 501 able to get through the Victoria/York area and this needs both the east-bound (Adelaide) tracks plus the westbound ones on Richmond and neither is really useful until they both link to Queen via York.

God knows why anyone thought ML would be good at doing this section but ...

It's wholly a Metrolinx project. IIRC, to accelerate matters they hijacked an existing city tender for sewer reconstruction and repaving the road; Metrolinx had the city do a contract change and make it track instead.

The sewer rebuild didn't include the York section so it was tendered separately by Metrolinx.

Back