News   Apr 19, 2024
 35     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 400     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 640     1 

steveve's Toronto city model

Great work as always steveve!!! Can't wait to see southcore develop in your model. The dome and tower would look amazing too

Been a bit busy lately so I haven't really built anything recently, I did however give the CN tower a go... I'm not too pleased with the upper half of the tower, i'll have to go back on day and fix it, but for now it'll do.

Update September 22, 2012:

8013098554_75ab1af432_c.jpg

I have a suggestion for preservation. Try Plastidip. They now come in spray-cans. It sprays a fine coat of rubber in various colours. On harder materials, they can be peeled off like sprayed latex. I'm not sure about cardboard, but you can give it a try on a small sample before coating your entire city.

It gives a soft-touch matte rubber finish if applied properly. There are lots of youtube videos you can reference.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Steveve what's happened? How is the model coming along?

funny, i was asking myself this question a few days ago!,
ya, I've taken a bit of a break for the past month or so; I've been sorta busy, but I'm planning to finish it up within the next few months. iOS6 3d maps are really awesome, and will definitely help me out in finishing the model.

stay tuned :) updates coming shortly

Been a while since an update; not a whole lot to update here, but I did the Air Canada Centre, Infinity Phase 1, and a few more fillers. Still plenty of major recently-announced projects that will have HUGE impacts. Mirvish Towers, 10 York, Harbourfront Plaza, ICE, One Bloor, etc...

*I also redid Bay-Adelaide East, hardly noticeable, but basically i got rid of the corners, and fixed the dimensions of the footprint

Update November 18, 2012

8196782615_d1faa394fd_b.jpg

Really awesome job steveve! I think it's about time for you to redo Roy Thompson Hall... it would be difficult with cardboard though, maybe clay?

Really awesome job steveve! I think it's about time for you to redo Roy Thompson Hall... it would be difficult with cardboard though, maybe clay?

Scoring some lines into the right shaped cut-out would give you the proper shape. Not too hard!

^ are you trying to make him obsolete?

Technically with 3D printing, you can transfer the existing 3D models from Google Earth or other sources, and make the entire city in one go.

While that's true, it doesn't limit him to that. You can always RE-make the models as you please and print them out. Much more rewarding.

Steveve, now is a perfect opportunity to convince Robert Freedman, director of design in urban planning, which is responsible for the model in City Hall, to use your Toronto model to replace the City Hall one, which got vandalized: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/fix...tower-has-blown-its-stack-but-where-did-it-go

8c3d52364945bb8a68e5038ad172.jpg

Where is the top of the CN Tower? Note that the Toronto model in City Hall is scaled at 1:1250.

Last edited:
Apparently this post didn't post for some reason, but here it is anyway from last week:

Happy Holidays!

Been a long while since an update, I haven't really had that much time to finish up the model,
Got sick of waiting for a finalized 1BE height, so I built it 255m to the fins (flat fins/roof, which I've heard is what they're going with... If that changes, I can always trim the roofline)
Gotta say, it's taller than I thought it would be. And with the recent supertall/near-supertall proposals, it's mind blowing the impact they will have.

I've also been thinking of making crude massing models for the massive new tower proposals around the city [Gehry Towers, Oxford Place, etc...). Perhaps to keep me invested.

*STILL haven't gotten around to building Roy Thompson :(

Update December 24, 2012:

8304824052_21e00251ed_c.jpg

8303777241_29cc7bb124_c.jpg

Back