593     0 

Star's Jim Coyle on Sheppard Subway

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

Escape to oasis of transit tranquility

Mar 15, 2007 04:30 AM
Jim Coyle

Soon (well, in eight years anyway), the good people of York Region will know the delights of having their very own subway station, when the TTC's Spadina line is extended through York University to the Vaughan Corporate Centre.

It's been a few years now since Toronto has known the civic euphoria and pride of a subway opening, five long winters since the Lastman Line opened along Sheppard Ave. E. And to this day (those in York will be delighted to know), it remains an experience to be treasured – 6.4 kilometres of sheer commuting pleasure.

For those unable to travel to places exotic this March break, a subway trip along Sheppard on a weekday morning – its handful of stations strung like an unspoiled archipelago – is probably the next best way to get away from it all.

Whereas a journey along the Yonge-University line is like, say, a trip to Fort Lauderdale, with its attendant vulgarity and yahooism, a cruise along Sheppard is more like a sojourn in Pago Pago – an exotic, unhurried, uncrowded, sublimely quiet escape from the hurly-burly of worldly care and woe.

Rising from the steerage-like crush of the north-south line, one almost instantly feels the ambience change on the eastbound platform at Sheppard station.

Here, there is the dignified anticipation of a first-class departure lounge. On the walls, the perfect mood of tranquility is struck – tiles depicting the soothing bucolic vastness of empty hillsides.

Presently, a train arrives. No one rushes the doors of car No. 5248. There is no need. Seats abound like seashells on the seashore. The gap is always minded. Once underway toward Bayview, young sweethearts cuddled in a corner seat seem more in love and suited to each other than they would, say, at College. The books being read by other passengers seem more literary. Even the chap snoozing against the window seems to enjoy a deeper and more restful slumber.

It makes the wayfarer feel as if every street in Toronto should have a subway.

At Bayview, the doors open and one person boards. The one person leaving the train notes that, here, and maybe it's the lighting, an ad on the wall for a forthcoming visit to town of Donald Trump makes him look almost statesmanlike.

It becomes instantly evident on Sheppard that commuters are not herd animals, but individuals – the pitter-patter of an approaching set of footsteps clearly audible from a distance, soothing as raindrops on the roof.

To be sure, the place exudes style. A woman descends the escalator, as regally as if she were making a royal entrance. It also reeks of workmanship and pride, the lights of a work crew flickering in the tunnel darkness, doubtless burnishing all equipment therein to a state of gleaming perfection, like moonlight on the Caribbean.

Sadly, the only blight on the experience – rather like a garish Bermuda-shorted tourist leering his way down a nude beach – is a flutter of pamphlets littering the floor. Left there, doubtless, by a Yonge-University interloper.

At 10:03 a.m., the next eastbound train pulls in. Three people board. "The next station Bessarion – Bessarion Station," a woman's voice intones, hardly less intoxicatingly than if she had been announcing Aix-en-Provence.

At Bessarion, two riders step on, two step off – a station in sublime and perfect harmony, a veritable ashram of balance. And here, the vast platform is so empty one could easily hold a beach volleyball tournament.

It's like discovering a hidden cove, a secret jewel tucked far from where madding crowds of holidaymakers disport themselves with copious suntan oils and rum concoctions from the all-inclusive bar.

Finally, another traveller arrives – a smile, a nod, no words to disrupt a stillness total but for the soothing hum of the escalator.

And at 10:09 a.m., adieus are reluctantly bid to Bessarion. From the incoming subway, one passenger detrains and one boards – balance maintained.

Back on board, a commuter surveys an embarrassment of riches, all but seven seats vacant, seeming almost to compete one with another – like a welcoming party handing out leis – to be of service.

At Leslie, on the westbound platform, a man sits, a woman stands with a stroller, practising perfect patience, certain that when the train does arrive, there will be no crush to battle, a choice selection of seats to be had. Too soon, however, we are pulling into Don Mills station and the end of the line.

For a moment or two on the platform, the train idles, doors open and at the ready to welcome in the next group of public-transit hedonists.

The crew stands, sure, confident, wearing the contented look of men who know that in working the Sheppard line they have been well and truly blessed.

Then, back they whisk us to Yonge, four station stops and 6.4 kilometres that might as well be the distance to another planet.

It is as if a plane has arrived home from holiday, the passengers regretful that the pleasure is at an end, living now on the expectation of next time.

And the comforting knowledge that, whatever indignities and disappointments the Yonge-University line may hold, they'll always have Bessarion.

It becomes instantly evident on Sheppard that commuters are not herd animals, but individuals – the pitter-patter of an approaching set of footsteps clearly audible from a distance, soothing as raindrops on the roof.

very poetic, and yet true

a cute article. it makes you almost wish every subway line was like the sheppard line. so romantic! too bad sheppard is regarded as a failure, and the subway to vaughan will be doubly so.

^Well the more lines there are, the more distributed the commuter population is, so in the end, we might end up with several lesser-used, romantic lines ;) .

Interesting to read the reactions to Jim Coyle's article. I guess it's because I don't use transit that I got a different message from it than other FORUMers.

While I've experienced Yonge Street and seen its sights, I have no clue at all about Sheppard. Everything I know about that area now comes from Mr. Coyle's article.

I'd appreciate it if someone tells me how close or out of whack my conclusions are about the area serviced by the Sheppard Line based on what Mr. Coyle wrote.

Whereas a journey along the Yonge-University line is like, say, a trip to Fort Lauderdale, with its attendant vulgarity and yahooism...

Residents in and around Sheppard are wealthier than the people living in the Yonge-University area.

The books being read by other passengers seem more literary.

Residents in and around Sheppard are wealthier than the people living in the Yonge-University area.

Even the chap snoozing against the window seems to enjoy a deeper and more restful slumber.

Residents in and around Sheppard are wealthier than the people living in the Yonge-University area and there's no concern about guarding your wallet.

Residents in and around Sheppard are wealthier than the people living in the Yonge-University area and more use cars to get about. It's certain that the Sheppard individuals once faced with the Yonge competitory-seats conditions DO turn into herd animals.

To be sure, the place exudes style. A woman descends the escalator, as regally as if she were making a royal entrance.

Sadly, the only blight on the experience – rather like a garish Bermuda-shorted tourist leering his way down a nude beach – is a flutter of pamphlets littering the floor. Left there, doubtless, by a Yonge-University interloper.

Residents in and around Sheppard are wealthier than the people living in the Yonge-University area and it's a shame that The Great Unwashed from the Yonge-University area are free to blight us-Sheppard types.

Back on board, a commuter surveys an embarrassment of riches, all but seven seats vacant, seeming almost to compete one with another – like a welcoming party handing out leis – to be of service.

"embarrassment of riches" doesn't extend just to the number of seats one can select from.

The crew stands, sure, confident, wearing the contented look of men who know that in working the Sheppard line they have been well and truly blessed.

The crew stands, sure, confident, wearing the contented look of men who know that in working the Sheppard line they don't have NEAR THE WORK of the other workers who have to work the Yonge-University line. Or the hassle.

Done.

Hot? Warm? Cool? Cold? Stunner than Tom's dog on what the Sheppard area is like?

True, Muse, the article does give one gets that impression...only it's not true. People along Yonge are far wealthier than the people living along Don Mills and in north Scarborough that are the folks actually using the Sheppard line. In its aborted state, the Sheppard line mainly draws 9-5 commuters who, by and large, are wealthier than other types of people who take transit.

I take the Sheppard line fairly often in the afternoon rush hour and although it's generally not "full," once in a while it'll be so crowded that you have to wait for the next train. Granted, this is due to the 4 car trains that run at lower frequencies, but anyone even vaguely familiar with the neighbourhoods and travel patterns north of, say, Lawrence, will know that there the alleged "embarrassment of riches" in terms of seat selection would vanish if the line was finish east and west...for starters, the entire Scarborough Centre to York U corridor would be continuously lined with towers.

edit - most of the Sheppard line is overbuilt, though...certainly not a model to follow to the letter in future lines.

edit - most of the Sheppard line is overbuilt, though...certainly not a model to follow to the letter in future lines.

The cost to overbuild Sheppard was insignificant, only about a 10% price increase to each station compared to building an Osgood equivalent. The cost of the Union Station upgrade is about the same as the cost to build Don Mills. Both will have similar capacity once complete.

Upgrading Bloor Station to the same capacity as Yonge station at Sheppard would likely be in the billion dollar range. Sheppard station cost $100M to build.

If there is a 20% chance an upgrade will be required in a 50 year lifetime, overbuilding up-front is the cost efficient approach.

Out of the 5 stations, both Sheppard/Yonge and Don Mills would likely have been in that situation after the LRT network is built and York Region beefs up transit capacity.

As long as my local bus route only runs during rush hour, 10% here and 10% there could mean a world of difference if the money had been put elsewhere.

Where do you get the figure that the cost of overbuilding is only an extra 10%? I just don't believe it. If they built stations like some on the Bloor line, whether there isn't a vast and empty mezzanine nearly the entire length of the station, I'm sure they'd save much more than 10%. For stations like Sheppard West or Bessarion, why not just build stations like they used to in European cities or New York? A couple staircases right down to the platform would be both more convenient and far cheaper. Alternatively, they could locate the fare collectors in a small above-ground building, potentially with a bus terminal, and have stairs right down to the station, with no unnecessary mezzanine. Just the cost of heating those cavernous spaces in modern stations would surely add a significant sum to operating expenditures. Almost $500 million is being spent on stations for the new York U line up to Steeles, which is nearly as much as all the tunnels. All of them will have vast mezzanines running the whole length of the station. There's no reason that a slightly widened tunnel with a little fare collector area couldn't suffice. If they actually feel the need to build an upper floor to the station, why not just leave it open to below so we can have attractive high-ceilinged stations of the kind that are being built in most other cities.

Where do you get the figure that the cost of overbuilding is only an extra 10%?

I hunted around for that figure and was unable to find it. It's what I remember reading in a report released by the TTC on the station designs.

By the time you get everything on site to dig down that deep and of a length to fit a 6-car train, adding an extra couple of meters to the width of the platform wasn't all that big of a deal.

So take it as second hand information if you like. Perhaps someone like Mr. Munroe would know the exact details.

For stations like Sheppard West or Bessarion, why not just build stations like they used to in European cities or New York? A couple staircases right down to the platform would be both more convenient and far cheaper.
Yes, but if I may play Joe Blow for a second, who in their right mind would advocate building cramped, depressing downtown-Brooklynesque stations anew these days? If you can't build ample Montreal/Washington-style arrays, you might as well stick with surface transit...

Just the cost of heating those cavernous spaces in modern stations would surely add a significant sum to operating expenditures.
Although, I don't believe the TTC has climate control in any of its stations.

I don't see how those New York-style (or traditional European-style) stations are any more cramped or depressing than the new stations we've built on Sheppard. The ceilings in the platform areas are just as low. Moreover, I really think that most people would rather have several more kilometres of subway than stations with big unused mezzanines.

I'm sure hills along Sheppard contributed to the various depths of the stations, but Bayview station is just absurdly deep.

THE TTC SHEPPARD SUBWAY

Everyone: I would like to see pictures and track maps of the Sheppard Subway - I have seen so little about it other than knowing of its existance and a couple of station pics in Transit Toronto's site. I have questions about it-such as: Can trains run thru to the Yonge line-is there a track connection? When the line is extended west is the idea to connect it at Downsview with the Spadina line? Other westward-and eastward destinations in mind for this line? I feel that another E/W subway thru downtown may have been preferable to the Sheppard line-primarily replacing either the King or Queen streetcar/trolley line with a Bloor-Danforth style heavy rail subway as an example. How is the ridership on the Sheppard line? Knowing Toronto and the TTC and the public's general support for rail transit my gut feeling is thinking it is successful for its small size. If Toronto builds the riders follow if it is run well. LI MIKE

Back