815     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 684     0 

Star: TTC row ends in charges, lawsuit

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC row ends in charges, lawsuit
Bus altercation leads to claims of rudeness, choking and assault with empty coffee cup
Jim Rankin Staff Reporter
Toronto Star
Published On Sun Oct 25 2009

It had been spitting all day – a cold April rain – on the day a bit of rudeness between a Toronto Transit Commission bus driver and a passenger escalated to name calling, an airborne empty Starbucks coffee cup and hands around a neck.

But even the 911 operator who took the call from another passenger aboard bus 7866, which was stopped at Coxwell and Eastwood Aves. on the afternoon of April 12, 2008, seemed taken aback by who it was – at one moment, at least – who was allegedly on the attack.

911: Ma'am, what's happening?

Caller: Well, he attacked a passenger on the bus, and ah ...

911: The driver did?

Moments later, the caller, sensing the operator's disbelief: I'm not kidding ... He went after her, grabbed her by the neck, thrust her around and now he's kicking everybody off the bus.

Toronto police that day put more stock in a different version of events, one more in line with what the driver later wrote up in a report to his bosses. Police charged Alice Evenson, a 41-year-old artist who'd never been in trouble with the law, with assault with a weapon – a criminal offence considered so serious it requires a mandatory DNA sample. The alleged weapon, seized at the scene, being the empty Starbucks paper cup.

The charge was later withdrawn at the request of a Crown attorney and Evenson is now suing the TTC and police, seeking $2.3 million in damages. The suit alleges driver Mark Lindsay called her a "loser," choked and dragged her, and that Toronto police officers John Aiken and Dennis Inniss failed to conduct a proper investigation.

Evenson's lawyer, Barry Swadron, believes this could be a case of "uniform affinity." He suggests police chose to believe the driver, a fellow city employee, over his client and the 911 caller. He also notes police did not interview more witnesses and didn't collect evidence that may have painted a better picture of what happened that day, including video that is now long erased.

In a recently filed statement of defence, the TTC denies the allegations and asserts that the driver was assaulted and then detained Evenson until police arrived. The driver's own account differs somewhat. He wrote in a report that pedestrians began to surround him and that he left Evenson and went inside the bus to await police.

The Star sought comment from Lindsay through a TTC spokesperson and a lawyer assigned to defend him, but none came, which is not unusual when a case is before the courts. Similarly, Aiken did not respond to a request for comment. Inniss declined to comment.

And, officially, neither the police nor the TTC offered any comment, both citing the fact that the case is now before the courts.

What follows is based on an interview with Evenson, police and TTC notes and records disclosed to Evenson in the criminal case (shared with the Star), allegations and counter allegations made in the lawsuit that have yet to be proven in court, and the 911 call, a recording of which was obtained by Swadron in a freedom-of-information request.

Evenson, who lives in the Beach, was on her way to have a laptop repaired that afternoon, and was unprepared and juggling a bag, an umbrella and a coffee when the bus pulled up. She boarded and sat near the driver and rummaged for some change, which took some time. As she went to pay, she alleges in her suit, she made eye contact with the driver, and for an unknown reason, he gave her a "cross look." She asked for a transfer, and in an "exaggerated and slow manner" delivered her one.

Having finished her coffee and arrived at her stop, she headed to the front door to leave and said, "Thank you." Lindsay, the driver, recalled in his notes that she said, "Bye," but both agree he did not respond in kind. In his notes, Lindsay says he was busy trying to park the bus at the stop due to an illegally parked car, and that passengers were starting to enter the bus.

Evenson turned and, according to her suit, said, "Thank you" again, and that the driver "gave her a very annoyed look."

Still no response.

What's your problem, Evenson then asked.

Evenson alleges the driver informed her in an "aggressive" manner that she was the problem and ordered her off the bus. She asked what she'd done wrong. "You're an a--hole," Evenson alleges was the reply. She says she then told him he could not speak to a passenger like that, to which he responded by calling her a "loser" and shouted that she was holding up the bus. Intending to file a complaint, she asked for his badge number, and the driver pointed to his bus number.

Lindsay, in his notes, tells a different version. He writes that her second goodbye was "sarcastic," that she asked what his problem was and he then informed her she was blocking the door and to get off. She asked for his name, and he sat there, "unresponding," he says in his notes, made an announcement that the bus was out of order, and told Evenson, "Ma'am, I am not going to argue with you, talk to the hand." He writes that it was she who then called him an "a--hole," and he in turn called her a "loser." Evenson said in an interview that she does not swear, and didn't on that day.

At least one would-be passenger was waiting to board and was growing impatient.

Evenson says in her suit that she decided it best to leave, was "confused and upset by the unfair and undignified treatment," and as she departed, tossed the empty coffee cup in frustration, but was "careful not to throw the cup in Lindsay's direction."

"Did you just try to throw a coffee cup at me?" the driver asked, according to Evenson's lawsuit. He then, the suit alleges, went after her and started to "choke" her. Evenson, the suit states, was "in fear of her life." She alleges she was dragged, that the driver twisted her right arm up behind her back toward her head, and in a nearby bank alcove, "snapped" her head off a wall and glass door.

Lindsay, in his notes, says the cup hit him between the eyes, and Evenson then left the bus. He writes that he went after her in order to detain her until police arrived, and "grabbed her from behind by her shoulder." Evenson struggled, he writes, and as he "started to pull" her back to the bus, some pedestrians "started to surround me" and one man became "aggressive." So, he states, he returned alone to the bus, closed the door and waited for police to arrive.

Evenson, too, waited for police. A female passenger, who did not know Evenson, made the 911 call.

Police spoke with three witnesses, including the 911 caller. One man told police the driver swore at Evenson, and that he saw the coffee cup hit either the driver or the steering wheel, but did not see her take aim at the driver. The man told police he saw the driver grab her from the bank alcove and was handling her "quite aggressively." A group of people formed and held the driver back, saying "you shouldn't hit a girl." That was the general sentiment of the people on the bus.

It didn't look like Evenson was intending to assault the driver, the man told police. It looked more like a frustrated person who "threw a piece of garbage."

Another woman, who had been waiting to board the bus, told police she heard Evenson swear at the driver, which Evenson says she did not do, and that she "whipped" the cup.

The witness did not see where the cup landed. Later, the witness saw the driver with his "hands on her ... on her shoulders and around her neck slightly." Evenson, this witness said, did not appear to be in distress.

The 911 caller, a woman, told police she believed the driver was "trying to really hurt her," and that Evenson looked "terrified."

In her suit, Evenson alleges the incident caused injuries to her throat, right bicep, arms and shoulders, and that she suffers from post-traumatic stress, depression and anxiety.

There are pictures, taken by a neighbour, that show red marks on her neck, as well as one showing her umbrella, which is beyond repair.

Once again, so happy I don't have to take the TTC. Who needs to give these entitled assholes more money.
I guess I will be sending another email to my councillor

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah who to believe?!?!??!

An empty paper cup as a weapon? Ok!

I have never seen anyone thank a driver again if they didn't respond the first time and then for her to make a point of it by asking "what's your problem"?

Lindsay, in his notes, tells a different version. He writes that her second goodbye was "sarcastic," that she asked what his problem was and he then informed her she was blocking the door and to get off. She asked for his name, and he sat there, "unresponding," he says in his notes, made an announcement that the bus was out of order, and told Evenson, "Ma'am, I am not going to argue with you, talk to the hand." He writes that it was she who then called him an "a--hole," and he in turn called her a "loser." Evenson said in an interview that she does not swear, and didn't on that day.

At least one would-be passenger was waiting to board and was growing impatient.

Evenson says in her suit that she decided it best to leave, was "confused and upset by the unfair and undignified treatment," and as she departed, tossed the empty coffee cup in frustration, but was "careful not to throw the cup in Lindsay's direction."

"it best to leave"?!?!?!

You said "thanks or goodbye" twice and it was your stop so get off the bus then!

If you were so careful not to throw the cup in the drivers direction then perhaps you should have thrown in when you got off the bus!

n her suit, Evenson alleges the incident caused injuries to her throat, right bicep, arms and shoulders, and that she suffers from post-traumatic stress, depression and anxiety.

Even so, seeking $2.3 million in damages?!?!

If that is indeed what happened, then the passenger should only have all of her court costs and medical bills paid (including therapy), perhaps a free TTC pass for maybe a year and maybe a new umbrella. Not $2.3 million.

Hell, I'd go through all that for half of that!

I am just sick of hearing about people suing people left right and center for things that were partially their fault for outrageous sums of money.

Only those two know who is at fault for the incident. They are both going to fudge their stories to make their side seem better then what really did happen. Although to me it sounds like both of them were in a pissy/argumentative mood that day and egged each other on. If the driver did what he did then he should obviously be suspended/fired from work and serve some jail time for assault.

I would agree that the 2.3 Million is excessive, however considering the police dept and TTC are named in the suit, not unusually high.

If the driver did choke her, why has he not been charged, some questions definately need to be answered here.

unfortunately, there is blame on both sides, the TTC that takes the public for granted and the public that in general thinks the TTC employees are overpaid slobs.

What I find most disturbing is that if the driver was in fact choking the passenger, could no one on the bus intervene? Are we that meek now?

We need to start employing some surly New Yorkers to use our system and enforce some civility around here. In my experience there, they don't tolerate for a second what we quietly suffer here.

you might have a point there Anth.

we are too polite for our own good, personally I would have lost my shit if I saw a man choking a woman.

What I find most disturbing is that if the driver was in fact choking the passenger, could no one on the bus intervene? Are we that meek now?

No we're not meek, but due to the bylaws recently passed to protect the drivers, we would be charged with assault if we interveaned, or even called the driver a name.

2 months ago I witnessed a driver calling a passenger a bitch, while stopped in the middle of queen and broadview....he's still driving his route, so obviously, nothing can be done about it.

Good point, our government has successfully big brothered us to death, that we cannot hold public servants accountable, sad really, and also unfortunately the minority of bad TTC employees make the good ones look bad.

My friend and I witnessed a collector scream "This country f***ing sucks. America f***ing owns you f***ers." We made a complaint, but they didn't imply that much would come of it.

I think the article suggests that the other passengers did intervene:

A group of people formed and held the driver back, saying "you shouldn't hit a girl." That was the general sentiment of the people on the bus.

on the bright side, at least she wasn't sexually assaulted like some passengers have been on wheeltrans.

It sounds like both were at fault. But I'd venture to say that the driver was perhaps more at fault than the passenger. You got hit with an empty coffee cup. It's awful to be sure. That's no reason to try and choke the woman. If you can't detain her with the absolute minimum physical effort, don't. That's why we have cops.

As for the cops, I do agree that this sounds a lot like "uniform affinity" ... except in a rather unfortunate way. It's one thing when a cop let's a bus driver slide on a ticket with a warning. It's a whole other matter when they charge the victim and conduct themselves in such a manner that the prosecutor thinks the case is weak.

Demanding courtesy is really discourteous.

Some people just ask for trouble. If someone doesn't want to say "thank you" it isn't your job to teach them unless you are their parent, teacher, or spouse. Almost always things escalate due to their being two equally pig-headed people involved. What comes next is never warranted based on the original situation but when two people unable to "live and let live" come together it continues to escalate until all the weapons come out.

As for the cops, I do agree that this sounds a lot like "uniform affinity" ... except in a rather unfortunate way. It's one thing when a cop let's a bus driver slide on a ticket with a warning. It's a whole other matter when they charge the victim and conduct themselves in such a manner that the prosecutor thinks the case is weak.

Currently I'm researching municipal security operations through Freedom of Information. It's been quite the eye-opener.

What's interesting about this incident and how serious an assault charge is.

That's why I find it completely UNFATHOMABLE that the bus video footage would be erased. Fact is, when there's a crime/incident, that's the first thing seized.

Only one conclusion.

The TTC saw that the footage confirmed the woman's story.

And it doesn't matter whether she was a rollicking bitch and the provacateur. You don't respond by grabbing someone by the neck period.

Interesting to listen to the 911 call.

Here.

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/audio/50/49/d57035bd466a8199e76fd7efdc19.mp3

Something else that people don't know. About municipal security databases and what gets written in about citizens. And how information shows.

If this happened at City of Mississauga Transit, that woman's fling of an empty paper cup would be "assault with weapon" and because of how it is organized, Evenson's paper cup fling would show no differently in her Special Occurrence Report than a thug who's wielded a machete.

And by far the worst thing are the Special Occurrence Narratives (the Toronto Star article referred to these reports that municipal staff write).

I've been examining the public complaints that people made against Mississauga Corporate Security guards. Get this. There's a Brampton resident who thinks all he's got is a $65.00 Trespass ticket.

But Mississauga's Special Occurrence Narrative details how he was involved with 11-15 others in drinking and marijuana and that there was a pack of empty Budweiser cans in the back of his truck.

That guy's got zero clues that the security guards refer to their databases all the time. There are parents/guardians with ZERO clues that their kids have been banned by Mississauga Security guards and that their kids' Special Occurrence Narratives also contain information about drugs, booze, and who knows what else?

ZERO CLUES what a municipality might have on their kid.

Worse. Examining these complaints, like the TTC, only employee witness statements are considered, for two of the complaints no evidence an investigation. And when video surveillance is used, you have a security guard interpreted what's on the video and that kills the objectivity of the footage. (I'm referring to a complaint against the security boss and the security guard interpreted the footage to summarize his boss' conduct. That one is really fascinating.)

Secondo worst of all, there's never been any evaluation of their conduct and operations.

Worst of all, their Special Occurrence Report/Narrative information is shared with police.

A reminder. That's MISSISSAUGA. That best city in Canada. Leading Today for Tomorrow. You can imagine what happens everywhere else...

it's only for the money and the lines were probably given under the advice of her lawyer.

this is the type of bull crap that we don't need right now.

just give her a $2000.00 annoyance fee and send her on her way.

Last edited:

Back