639     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 490     0 

Star: Toronto on the verge of bankruptcy

B

blixa442

City about to go broke, staff say

Apr 20, 2007 04:30 AM
Toronto is on the verge of bankruptcy and only quick and drastic intervention from Queen's Park can avert massive service cuts, say the city's top bureaucrats.

City manager Shirley Hoy and her deputy, chief financial officer Joe Pennachetti, will deliver the grim news when city council meets today to set the 2007 budget.

"The budget is cobbled together with one-time fixes," Hoy said yesterday. "Starting next year, we have a $600 million problem, so have we hit the wall? I'd say so."

Hoy says the city may be wise not to begin the 2008 budget cycle until it gets definite word of help from Queen's Park.

"Let's not even pretend we can cobble together another budget. Cuts in services? We're talking about more than that. It's more like, what services the city has to get out of – the (deficit) numbers are that large."

The provincial government must upload $200 million in program costs within 12 months and start paying its bills for shared programs, or the city will slide into a morass of service cuts, Pennachetti says. "We are in dire straits."

Critics can quibble with minor spending decisions – like the $2.9 million earmarked to add new staff to the mayor's office and add meeting rooms at city hall. But there's little doubt it will take much more than budget restraint to solve this historic fiscal mess.

For example, to close the $600 million fiscal gap left after this year's budget, one would have to completely close down at least two or more of the following services: ambulance ($147 million), fire ($345 million), parks and recreation ($297 million), transportation ($273 million), waste management ($238 million).

Mayor David Miller has avoided facing service cuts since he came to power in 2003.

He has led city council to use reserve funds and budget hocus-pocus to stay out of the poorhouse. Today will be no different as city council meets to set the 2007 budget.

Toronto has tapped its discretionary reserve funds for about $1.3 billion since 2001, about $1.1 billion under Miller. Pennachetti's report before council today shows that on a near-$8 billion budget, only $24 million remains in those reserves – equivalent to a homeowner having a loonie left to cover unforeseen expenses.

And the pittance that remains shouldn't be touched, Pennachetti says. For instance, $7 million of that sum is to be held as an election reserve fund, to cover unexpected events such as recounts or by-elections.

Pennachetti admitted this week he has another fund – a working capital reserve fund – essentially, money to cover payroll. If city revenues lag, the working capital reserve, totalling $80 million, is supposed to cover wage costs.

In fact, the city pays out more than $100 million each pay day. If revenue inflows get delayed significantly, the city's working capital reserve is supposed to cover the shortfall and allow workers to cash their cheques.

Messing with that fund would be looking for trouble.

"Joe will not recommend we use that," Hoy vowed. "New York – when they got into bankruptcy problems (in the 1970s) was when they dipped into working capital.

"The day you use (that money) is the day you use the B word – you're broke, bankrupt."

Pennachetti backed Hoy. He said it would go against his general accounting principles to touch that fund.

"That's money for real disasters – like SARS to the 10th degree. The working capital reserve would be a last desperation move – I don't even want to go there," he said.

Pennachetti and Hoy both say the city has patched up its budget so many times that residents think they can do so indefinitely. The budget committee and the city's executive committee understand the fiscal crisis. Today they plan to drive it home to the individual city councillor, they say.

"We've never pillaged the parks department or laid off firefighters and, I guess, until that happens, the average citizen won't get it," Pennachetti said.

Miller's approach has been to negotiate with Queen's Park to secure more funding, not cut what he considers valuable municipal services. It is difficult to argue with the approach. Ask most voters if they want services reduced and they will say no.

But where the mayor has opened himself to criticism is his failure to tell the public, in stark terms, what they face if he doesn't get more money from Queen's Park.

So far it has been an intellectual exercise. Toronto says it is being shortchanged and Queen's Park either flatly denies the charge or tosses a few bones to the city as hush money.

The strategy of quiet diplomacy blew up last week when the city's executive committee voted to seek a judicial ruling on the amount of money Toronto is owed by Queen's Park.

On the narrow specifics of the matter the city wants to send to the courts, Toronto has a good case. Queen's Park did sign an agreement to pay 80 per cent of emergency shelter per diem costs, child care and half the administrative costs of managing the Ontario Works program. The province has been paying much less – a shortfall the city says totals $71 million this year.

But that $71 million is peanuts, compared with the fiscal hole. Another grievance concerns a decision by the province forcing Toronto and other municipalities to pay for Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Drug benefits, two provincial services.

The hit on Toronto is more than $175 million. No court can force the province to pay that because provinces have constitutional jurisdiction over cities. Toronto has been negotiating with Queen's Park to upload that problem. The province is reviewing it and is expected to take some action by early next year.

Hoy says both the $71 million and the $175 million have to be removed to give the city a fighting chance. And even then, Toronto needs revenues that grow with the economy.

To suggest that Toronto raise property taxes higher is not realistic.

Even if you doubled or tripled the 3.8 per cent increase this year, the city would be nowhere near closing the gap.

Within months, Toronto has cleaned out its reserves, started looking at new taxes (land transfer, alcohol, entertainment, road tolls), and moved to take the province to court, charging that they are deadbeats. Such desperation is a clear signal the wolf is at the door.

The saddest thing is that any attempt to get help is seen by those outside Toronto as a large irresponsible city looking for handouts.

I hope the upper levels of government wake up soon.

budget

For example, to close the $600 million fiscal gap left after this year's budget, one would have to completely close down at least two or more of the following services: ambulance ($147 million), fire ($345 million), parks and recreation ($297 million), transportation ($273 million), waste management ($238 million).:

transportation ($273 million): when they list transportation, I assume they are not referring to the TTC, however, I don't know what this refers to. Maintenance vehicles perhaps?

Re: ack

Umm...the article talks about all these new taxes (many of which grow with the economy!) that Toronto was asking to be able to levy and the Province has now allowed. Doesn't it seem a little strange to be talking about bankruptcy before using a single one of the new powers?

Re: ack

I am against the new tax powers that were given to Toronto. Its residents, businesses and tourists should not be taxed a penny more when the rest of the country is making off with our money. Fairness is the best way to solve the city's budget crisis.

ideas?

I think its time the city started on some major renovations to the water main that serves Queen’s Park this summer… and somehow manage to prolong the length of this project to match the time it takes to install a new elevator in our subway stations. Heck, while we’re at it let’s rip up the road and get Toronto Hydro to cut the power. That would teach Queen’s Park just what kind of “creature†of theirs the city is, no?

So how exactly does the city spend $345 million on the fire department?

Obviously there is a real structural fiscal imbalance but I think city council doesn't get it with respect to making optical funding cuts to make it seem they are trying. One of the best announcements in the last budget was the closing of 7 (if I recall) underutilized pools. A virtually irrelevent line item that shows hard choices are being made. So what do they do? Find funding for it anyways. Until the city starts making real headline cuts and holds the line on the real budget items that make the difference (police, debt etc.) they will have zero credibility with senior government.

I don't understand how the Administrative Services budget can go from $208 million in 2003 to $263 million in 2007 (26% increase over 4 years).

Obviously there is a real structural fiscal imbalance but I think city council doesn't get it with respect to making optical funding cuts to make it seem they are trying. One of the best announcements in the last budget was the closing of 7 (if I recall) underutilized pools. A virtually irrelevent line item that shows hard choices are being made. So what do they do? Find funding for it anyways. Until the city starts making real headline cuts and holds the line on the real budget items that make the difference (police, debt etc.) they will have zero credibility with senior government.

Will it ever seem like they're trying though? Will it ever seem like they're doing a good enough of a job that providing more funding won't be political suicide for the upper levels of government?

Toronto could do a better job financially, but considering the restraints they have I'd say they've been doing a pretty good job.

The only way the upper levels of government might be willing to give Toronto the funding it needs and should rightfully get is if the city goes completely down the drain.

Actually I am tempted to see the city go bankrupt. In that event, the province will have to step in and deal with the mess, without the benefit of the municipality as a scapegoat.

AoD

Toronto: BANKRUPT?

Everyone: I have seen for myself here on LI what happens when governments have financial problems-especially County governments. They go for one shots for revenue enhancement as well as raising property taxes as an example. Long Island has some of the USAs highest property taxes. How high are The City of Toronto's Property taxes percentage-wise? The sales or GST? My gut feeling is that Toronto property owners cannot take a tax increase over a certain percentage. Does Toronto have an City income tax and if so what is the percentage? How did the City of Toronto get into this mess? Toronto is to Canada what New York City is to the USA-how would the Canadian federal government and Ontario's provincial government react to a TO bankruptcy? I hope that rational thinkers prevail and the governments solve the looming financial problem. LI MIKE

Back