News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 306     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 858     0 

Star: Tokyo plans to outdo Toronto('s CN Tower)

Nice looking tower. I prefer the design of the CN's pod, which has an almost Art Decco style to it. However I really like the complex lattice beam-work of this tower- very impressive. I wish they could refresh the concrete somehow on CN, indeed it is looking rather patchy!

It's a bit underwhelming after Burj Khalifa.

AoD

Agreed. 2 things to note here:

(1) I'm still astonished that the CN tower was the tallest freestanding structure for over 30 years.
(2) Nobody remembers the second tallest building in the world. Does anybody (who's not a skyscraper geek or a Chicagoan) remember that the AON center was the second tallest building in the world after the World Trade Center for a brief period of time in 1973?

Agreed. 2 things to note here:

(1) I'm still astonished that the CN tower was the tallest freestanding structure for over 30 years.

What helped it remain so was the shift from transmitter towers to satellites on the part of broadcasters--rendering the absolute necessity of CN Tower type structures redundant...

(2) Nobody remembers the second tallest building in the world. Does anybody (who's not a skyscraper geek or a Chicagoan) remember that the AON center was the second tallest building in the world after the World Trade Center for a brief period of time in 1973?

Though the fact that Standard Oil/Amoco/AON was dull as dishwater didn't help its case. OTOH everyone knew the Chrysler was second-tallest from the 30s to the 60s...

The CN Tower had it's run, but it's still an impressive achievement with an elegant design, one that's sleek without looking anonymous. It's a landmark of beauty. The Eiffel Tower is still loved today, despite being eclipsed long ago. I hope we don't go through a phase of indifference or even hostility towards it as other towers overtake its height.

And remember what was CN's longstanding freestanding second-placer: Moscow's Ostankino--which had two strikes against it: (a) it was unlovely by comparison, and (b) it was in the wilds of Soviet Moscow...

I don't think we'll ever dislike the CN Tower. I think the only way that would happen is if it's not taken care of. I wouldn't mind seeind the cracks and patches taken care of somehow though. It makes it look bad up close.

Back