Star: Taggers caught spraying TTC trains

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Star:

Two taggers arrested in Project Picasso
Graffiti crackdown in TTC yards Students charged in spraying spree
Christopher Maughan
Jun 22, 2006. pg. R.05

Copyright (c) 2006 Toronto Star, All Rights Reserved.

It's hard to imagine what Pablo Picasso would have thought of his name being used as the moniker for a police operation targeting work that some consider art, but others see as vandalism.

Under Project Picasso, Toronto Transit Commission special constables have apprehended a local art student and his American girlfriend, both of whom are accused of taking part in a graffiti- spraying spree in Boston and Toronto.

The two were arrested at the Davisville train yard the morning of June 8 when they gave themselves up after a 100-metre chase, say police.

The graffiti looked like the work of experienced artists, TTC Staff Sgt. Dan Patrick said.

TTC special constables have been staking out the city's two main subway yards four nights a week for the past two months.

It's the only way to catch graffiti artists in the act, said Special Const. Mike Butler, who, along with Patrick, is running the investigation.

"It's a very difficult thing to do," he said. "It's sort of hit and miss, but it's the only way we could catch them. Parts of the yards are so dark that having video surveillance just isn't worthwhile."

The idea for Project Picasso came about when Butler and other TTC officials noticed a rise in the number of graffiti incidents in train yards over the past seven months.

The project is part of a wider police crackdown on vandalism that's taking place across the city. While property owners are sure to welcome the initiative, artists are complaining that they're being unfairly targeted.

Cheryl Fernandez, the assistant manager at a graffiti supply store called Bomb Shelter, said she's had many non-artists come to her store to find out more about what graffiti taggers sometimes call public art.

"We have all kinds of mainstream people come in who like what we do," she said.

"We even have grandparents come in with their grandkids. These people recognize that this is free expression; it's another language."

Butler said the TTC spends about $1 million a year to get rid of graffiti.

He said the company will be seeking restitution from the two suspects to help pay for the cleaning.

He admitted he thought the mural at the Davisville yard looked pretty good.

"It was very colourful, very well-defined, and not sloppy at all. It was well-planned art."

But the TTC constables add that's no excuse for painting on public spaces.

"If it's someone's wall and they want it done, then that's fine. Just don't do it on public property," said Butler.

Phillip Nynkowski, 23, an Ontario College of Art and Design student, and Danielle Bremner, 24, a York University student, were charged with six counts of mischief under $5,000.

The couple appeared in court in Toronto on Monday; the case was adjourned until Sept. 11. Nynkowski and Bremner are also facing 18 charges of graffiti tagging and trespassing in Boston, and police are looking into graffiti in Vancouver.

"We're working hand in hand with forensic police and graffiti experts there to gather all the intelligence," said Butler.

My cruel and unusual punishment? Take the favorite object owned by the accused and perform similiar defacements on it.

Do you think that the people who run the TTC read this forum? I posted the following on May 31st. I now noticed ads on the TTC showing a fellow with a pig mask littering the subway. The caption reads "You're not invisible". They've also placed signs at the doorways which read "Be Considerate and Safe: Do not block the doorways". I approve 100%.

Like other passengers who have a choice, I assess the pros and cons of public transit from time to time. In addition to cost, convenience and comfort, I also consider the impact on the environment. At some point, if the TTC commute becomes too unreliable or too unpleasant, many will conclude that too much is being asked of them and will abandon public transit. For me, the illegal strike was just another factor to take into account along with disgusting or inconsiderate behaviour by fellow passengers. Yesterday on the way home, one charming fellow spread out his Chinese take-out on the entire 3 seat bench (including the stuff he spit out on a paper bag) - this, during rush hour. Fortunately, he got out after only three stops. Unfortunately, another passenger decided that this was a good time to clip his finger nails -with the clippings flying all over. My God, what the **** is wrong with people? Do we need police to dictate civil behaviour? Maybe the TTC should put up posters with examples of rude behaviour with the caption "Don't be a Pig."

Do you think that the people who run the TTC read this forum? I posted the following on May 31st. I now noticed ads on the TTC showing a fellow with a pig mask littering the subway. The caption reads "You're not invisible". They've also placed signs at the doorways which read "Be Considerate and Safe: Do not block the doorways". I approve 100%.

Sure. My only complaint about the "Be Considerate and Safe: Do not block the doorways" signs is that they are at eye level for me at the top of the door windows- if I am standing in front of the doors ready to exit the train, my sight is obsured. I would have preferred them at the bottom, or off the glass, but that's my opinion.

I wonder if they're reading what we post, because I have to say this: Tell that annoying woman with that patronizing nag to shut up about the door chimes, request stop program and what ever promotion the TTC has going. I find her to be extremely annoying. We are not children who needs mommy to keep reminding us about the most obvious stuff in the most nagging of voices. I'd rather have the signs - I do like the new "don't be a pig" signs, I must say.

Hope this gets more publicity in September when the court case comes up. $1 million per year could buy two new buses per year.

Two in the head, one in the neck, for both of them.

Two in the neck? Is that punches or bullets? I don't know the expression.

--

Hmmm, tag their bodies, then put them in stocks maybe. Are stocks still legal? I don't know what it is about taggers that is so infuriating. I think mostly they undermine legitimate, thoughtful and artful expressions in public.

I hate how the word "artist" is automatically ... er ... tagged after the word "graffiti" in so much media coverage. Most, if not all, of what we see spraypainted around town is imitative and craft / technique based, rather than the product of original thought offering legitimate artistic comment.

^^Bullets. It's said that's how the Chinese dispatch most of their prisoners. Although now that I think about it, some very painful torture involving limb-splicing, acid, and bowel and intestine-inflaming chemicals might be in order first.

"We even have grandparents come in with their grandkids. These people recognize that this is free expression; it's another language."

sad reality is thats exactly what a certain english professor at University of Toronto teaches in his class about graffitti in public spaces. Not surprised at all that its students doing this.

I hate how the word "artist" is automatically ... er ... tagged after the word "graffiti" in so much media coverage.

Completely agree!

However, i find ad-wraps of ttc vehicles as ugly and bothersome as tagging them.

Indeed. I ain't boarding no Prep H streetcar, no Ex-Lax bus.

However, i find ad-wraps of ttc vehicles as ugly and bothersome as tagging them.

Agree 100%. Fiendish, would you be up for relieving those who vandalize our streetcars and buses in the name of profit with a few bullets? Taggers at least don't usually block the sightlines out of windows.

sad reality is thats exactly what a certain english professor at University of Toronto teaches in his class about graffitti in public spaces.

Ooh. Care to name names?

What I found most interesting about the article was how happily the TTC divulged the insecurity of its own yards. I can imagine there'd be a lot of people with no interest in tagging whatsoever, who would still quite enjoy poking around in there...

"I hate how the word "artist" is automatically ... er ... tagged after the word "graffiti" in so much media coverage."

what drives me nuts is when people group graffiti artists (like myself) with Taggers.

Taggers have no talent, I piss with more creativity.

Back