Star: Store bathroom battle escalates

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/518284

Store bathroom battle escalates

John Spears
City Hall Bureau

Every store in Toronto with a floor area of 3,230 square feet or more should have to provide washrooms for their customers, says the city's licensing and standards committee.

But business owners and some councillors said the city is going too far.

"We're clobbering people every which way in Toronto," complained Councillor Mike Del Grande (Ward 39, Scarborough-Agincourt), who said the move will force some store owners into expensive remodelling.

The committee's proposal, which now goes on to city council for further debate, is the brainchild of Councillor Howard Moscoe, who said he got a complaint from a constituent who was denied access to a department store washroom.

Moscoe (Ward 15 Eglinton-Lawrence) discovered that since 1976, the Ontario Building Code has required stores to provide washrooms – but was silent about whether they were open to customers as well as staff.

Moscoe argued that his proposal will simply open existing washrooms to the public.

To avoid burdening mom-and-pop stores, he proposed exempting stores less than 3,230 square feet – about one-third the size of a typical Shoppers Drug Mart. Stores larger than 3,230 square feet are already required to provide separate men's and women's washrooms (though not necessarily for the public).

Gary Sands, who represents independent grocers and chain drug stores, said that won't solve many problems for retailers.

Washrooms are often located in publicly inaccessible areas, such as storerooms, he said.

And food retailers usually have their washrooms adjacent to food preparation areas, which by law cannot be accessible to the public. That would force food stores to construct new washrooms for customers.

"This measure, if adopted by the city, would add costs to run a business in Toronto and potentially make a retailer think twice about expanding or opening a business in Toronto," said Sands.

He said the city should come up with some research to show that people actually want store washrooms, before it imposes new costs on businesses.

Moscoe brushed that off.

"I don't need a study to tell me that people need to go to the washroom," he said.

Moscoe couldn't say how many businesses will have to open their washrooms to the public if the new rules are passed.

Del Grande said stores with washrooms in areas near storage areas will need "washroom monitors" to make sure people using their toilets aren't helping themselves to merchandise as well.

He suggested that the rule apply only to new businesses, or those undergoing major renovations, but that was defeated.

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Ward 34, Don Valley East) said the proposed measure is unnecessary.

"This is an example of the city looking for a solution where no problem exists," he said.

"I don't think we need to impose this additional cost, this additional regulation when we can't even show that it's a necessary thing."

Judith Andrew of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business said she's heard no public groundswell demanding washrooms.

"It's another cost and imposition with very little notice," she said after the meeting. Store owners are usually helpful if someone suddenly needs a washroom, she said: "People are understanding; people are people, and you don't have to write everything into law."

Councillor Rob Ford (Ward 2, Etobicoke North) was absent for yesterday's committee vote on the issue. He spent the afternoon coaching his high school football team. Ford said in an interview he is undecided about how to vote on it.

The city can barely manage to enforce its bylaws presently (except parking regulation), so one has to wonder if the stores in question will ever be inspected for compliance.

This is seriously the biggest non-issue of the year. It's so ridiculous it boggles my mind. And it's a part of the reason we still need an OMB. (And no I'm not saying they're directly related.)

It reads like this is just Moscoe letting his totalitarian impulses get the better of him. I don't think it's going anywhere.

This why we need term limits for councilors.

Before the city imposes this, they should look at their own backyard, RE; disgusting TTC bathrooms.
They could also consider putting in public washrooms like every other civilized city.

This just proves that Council has no clue what it takes to run a business. In my 11 years of owning 2 retail stores, I would maybe get 1 or 2 requests a month to use the washroom. We were able to incorporate a public washroom (one only - who the hell needs 'his' and 'hers' these days?) into one of our renovations/expansions, as any prudent business person would do if they can.
But, no, trust the busy-bodies on Council to stick there noses where it doesn't belong...............

This is seriously the biggest non-issue of the year. It's so ridiculous it boggles my mind. And it's a part of the reason we still need an OMB. (And no I'm not saying they're directly related.)

Yup, because non-issues are easy to deal with. It makes some people look like they are actually doing something.

Before the city imposes this, they should look at their own backyard, RE; disgusting TTC bathrooms.

That's probably why they are talking about other people's toilets - take the attention off of city property.

They could also consider putting in public washrooms like every other civilized city.

Or mop down the few they have. My daughter once said she could figure out someones personality from the housekeeping in the bathroom.

I find this absolutely ridiculous.
Why should business owners bear the costs of:
Building a washroom facility accesible for potential customers (read: anyone off the street)
Maintaining the cleaniness of said washroom
Paying the extra hydro and water bills
Providing security in those areas that may be prone to bums and junkies taking over the washroom and using it as a) shelter; b) a 'shooting-up' gallery

Running a washroom costs money, as I am sure the city council is area of, considering they themselves don't want to front the costs to install public washrooms themselves.

Beside, business should have the discretion to allow people to use their washroom or not. It's only good business to have these facilities available. Do we always need government to be heavy-handed?

This sucks for everyone who isn't in the bathroom business. Increased costs for business owners are going to be passed on to everyone else.

agree.

p.s, i think this is one of those times when you can say the city's going down the tubes. ;)

Want loyal customers? Give them keys to the bathroom
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/631003

Stores should be made to open their washrooms to shoppers, city says
May 08, 2009 04:30 AM
Be the first to comment on this article...
JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU

Stores that want customers to open their wallets should also be required to open their washrooms, say councillors on Toronto's licensing and standards committee.

The move – which still needs city council approval – flows from the urging of Councillor Howard Moscoe, who chairs the committee. Moscoe has had complaints from constituents about lack of washroom access and said he sympathizes completely.

"I'm getting a bit older, and I can't manage to pass a washroom without using it," Moscoe told the committee.

A staff report suggests the washrooms need be made available only to "customers," not the public at large. It would be up to retailers to decide who is a customer.

The proposal would require only stores bigger than 3,230 square feet to open their washrooms to customers. Stores that size are already required to provide separate men's and women's washrooms under the Ontario Building Code, he said, so they wouldn't have to build new facilities – just put up signs opening them to clientele as well as store staff.

Lining up the city bylaw with the building code makes it easy for inspectors to know which stores must provide washroom access, Moscoe said. The proposal exempts small mom-and-pop stores.

Retailers would get six months to comply, Moscoe said.

Committee members endorsed the proposal 5-1, with Councillor Rob Ford (Ward 2, Etobicoke North) the one dissenter.

A recession is the wrong time to impose a new obligation on business, Ford said in an interview.

"If times were great, maybe I'd consider it. But times aren't great," he said. "This is not going to create jobs . . . and right now we need to find ways of creating jobs. Putting an extra expense on them is not going to help out businesses in the city of Toronto."

more stupidity ... if public washrooms are such a concern, then the city should undergo the construction and cost of public stalls like the european stalls as someone else mentioned.

at least it's for spaces larger than 3200sf.

The City of Toronto once had public lavatories (washrooms) buildings that had attendants. I remember one on Keele Street north of Dundas, the Sunnyside lavatory, and one near Danforth Avenue and Broadview.

Sunnyside model:
ser372%5Css0001%5Cs0372_ss0001_it0234.jpg

ser372%5Css0001%5Cs0372_ss0001_it0333.jpg

There were even underground lavatories, like this one at Queen and Spadina:
ser376%5Cfl0005%5Cs0376_fl0005_it0084.jpg

fo1244%5Cf1244_it7167.jpg

Notice that the Spadina lavatory is under the tracks.

Back