News   Sep 13, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 662     0 

Star: Poor neighbourhoods growing across Toronto

Hulchanski is right. Areas near subways tends to be richer than those very far from them.

The 905 will be the ghettos of the future.

But interestingly, as this topic has been brought up in other threads on UT, even though the subway happens to be near these wealthier enclaves, I'm not convinced that the wealthy move to those neighborhoods specifically for the subway.

Possible explanations for this?
These neighbourhoods were generally wealthy before the subway, and have higher quality housing as a legacy of this. The Junction, neighbourhoods around the last few stops of the Danforth Subway and University-Spadina branch are among the last to be gentrifying (if they are even gentrifying) within the inner city.

I don't think the data trend backs up the "905 ghetto" hypothesis. The trend distinctly shows the 905 is getting poorer and the inner city is getting richer but the baseline levels are so much higher in the 905 that it will take a long time before they are at the same income levels. On the other hand because the central city includes so many tenants and single individual households we will likely not see central city neighbourhoods achieve household incomes similar to the more homogeneous single family enclaves in the suburbs.

On the other hand I think it is safe to say that some of the new "ghettos" in the GTA will form in the 905.

I don't think the data trend backs up the "905 ghetto" hypothesis. The trend distinctly shows the 905 is getting poorer and the inner city is getting richer but the baseline levels are so much higher in the 905 that it will take a long time before they are at the same income levels. On the other hand because the central city includes so many tenants and single individual households we will likely not see central city neighbourhoods achieve household incomes similar to the more homogeneous single family enclaves in the suburbs.

On the other hand I think it is safe to say that some of the new "ghettos" in the GTA will form in the 905.

This will happen for a fact ... I don't think we'll see any new ghettos in the inner 416, but many many of the already existing ones will stay that way with a couple exceptions ... exceptions being where TCHC is involved and their a large redevelopment project, but this really only accounts for a couple of those poorer areas in Toronto.

With that said, I think this will be another trend we see:
More middle class areas in the 905, while the poorer inner 416 areas get poorer (and the rich, richer of course).

Much of the 905 is upper-middle class and there's many rungs to go down on the ladder before becoming ghetto, but there are parts of the 905 that are fairly blue collar now and did experience significant declines in income between the 2001 census and 2010 household survey. And after all, it's not like all of the outer (or inner) 416 is outright poor either, there's working class, middle class, even wealthy too.

Anyways, so what are the neighbourhoods that, if the 2001-2010 trends hold, would become rather poor by 2030? Median family income currently is I think around $70,000/year.

<$40,000, about like Jane-Finch (including the single family and semi detached homes in the neighbourhood)
-Miliken (Markham)
-Sandringham Wellington (Brampton)
-BramEast (Brampton)
-Malton (Mississauga)

<$50,000, which is roughly the median family income of Malvern and most of Scarborough more than 1-2km from Lake Ontario)
-Central Brampton (Steeles to Bovaird, 410 to Chingacousy)
-Central Mississauga (QEW to 403, Mavis to Cawthra)

<$55,000, which is roughly the average of Scarborough as a whole
-East Credit/Hurontario (Mississauga)
-Bram West/Fletcher's Meadow (Brampton)
-Bramalea

Brampton saw the steepest drop in median family income between 2001 and 2010 of any large community in Canada after Windsor, at about 20% (compared to about 8% drop for Scarborough). If these trends continue, pretty much only the Heart Lake area will be wealthier than Scarborough. And the fact that the new neighbourhoods it built from 2001 to 2010 (home to about 200,000 people) are already (on average) below the median and experienced a bit drop despite being new does raise questions. There's also Miliken (both Markham and Scarborough side) that saw huge drops in income and they're already relatively low income. Will the incomes in these neighbourhoods continue to drop, or will they stabilize? Getting to work by transit for people in these neighbourhoods might be more complicated than in places like Jane-Finch or Eglinton East. They're quite a bit further from the jobs in the core than Eglinton East, and even Jane-Finch is closer (and near the University-Spadina extension), plus there's a fair bit of working class jobs around Jane-Finch compared to Miliken and Brampton. There's also the issue of being served by a different transit agency.

Interesting stuff - yes Brampton is definitely very working class, as are many parts of Mississauga.

I think perhaps what can be said though about the 905 being more middle class, it is true in a relative sense. Certainly there is more suburban/exurban wealth around NYC and London (Home counties) while Toronto actually has relatively more "outer borough" wealth. For instance I would guess that all of the wealthiest tracts in the New York metro area are either in Manhattan or in the suburbs, with nothing in Queens showing up in the top 10 or 20 tracts, while many of the GTA's wealthiest tracts are in North York and Etobicoke.

Last edited:
I did this for 2006 census:

% in managerial or professional occupations by selected 905 municipality:

Oakville 41.7%
Richmond Hill 39.8%
Aurora 37.9%
Markham 35.7%
King 34.9%
Burlington 33.6%
Whitchurch 32.6%
Milton 31.8%
Vaughan 31.3%