wyliepoon

Link to article

Big Apple looks to Big Smoke for tourists

New York opening promotion offices in Toronto and Montreal this year
Mar 13, 2007 04:30 AM
John Spears
City Hall Bureau

Here comes New York.

The Big Apple's tourism agency says it's going to open tourist promotion offices in Toronto and Montreal this year to help it hit ambitious growth targets.

Tourism Toronto says it has no plans to counter with an office in New York or to match its office expansion program.

New York City has 11 international tourism offices and plans to add, besides the Canadian ones, one or more in Asia this year, with more coming in 2008.

Toronto, with a much smaller budget, has only three, targeted to well-defined audiences – in Ottawa, Chicago and Washington, D.C. – with one in London, England, to open later this year.

In typically understated New York style, the promotion agency NYC & Company says it aims to "build a global network – and in the process remake the face of New York City's travel and tourism industry."

By opening Canadian offices, New York is reinforcing success. Canada is New York City's second biggest international tourist market, after the United Kingdom. NYC & Company figures show the city had 1.17 million British visitors in 2005, compared with 815,000 from Canada and 401,000 from third-place Germany.

Including Americans, the city played host to 44 million visitors. Mayor Michael Bloomberg has set a target of attracting 50 million a year by 2015.

NYC & Company spokesperson Chris Heywood said the Toronto office will mainly promote leisure travel.

But Andrew Weir, vice-president of Tourism Toronto, said his agency finds external offices most effective in promoting conventions and business travel. Hence the choice of cities where there are heavy concentrations of business groups that plan conventions.

The London office will also focus on attracting international corporate meetings.

Promoting leisure travel can be done effectively with ad campaigns and forming links with tour operators, without a storefront presence, Weir said.

Councillor Brian Ashton, who has worked on Toronto promotion for years, said the city must compete with New York for visitors from the huge northeast U.S. market.

Like Toronto, New York has suffered a visitor slump since the millennium, particularly after 9/11. Tourist visits only recovered to 2000 levels in 2005.

Bloomberg has thrown money at NYC & Company, increasing its yearly budget by $15 million to $45 million (U.S.) – almost $53 million Canadian. Tourism Toronto's budget, by comparison, is only $28 million.

"It doesn't surprise us that a city like New York would come mining for visits in this market," said Weir. "This is a market where people are used to high-end galleries and museums and theatre;. It's not surprising people from here would want to go to New York."

A bigger concern for Tourism Toronto is the fact that U.S. destinations are marketing more heavily to Americans.

"That poses more of a challenge for us, because we as a competitive destination are competing against that. ... It makes it more difficult for us to stand out as a destination."

It's been a hard slog to attract U.S. visitors in recent years, and it won't get easier when passports are required even for land crossings.

Weir said about 2.5 million Americans visited Toronto last year. That's down from 2.7 million in 2005 – which was way down from 3.2 million in 2001.

On the other hand, overseas visitors were up to about 1.8 million, from 1.6 million in 2005 and only 1 million in 2003. Still, most of the 20 million visitors to Toronto each year are Canadian.

First of all, your post is in the wrong thread; second, if you have been following the postings on the forum, you'd notice that a good chunk, if not the majority of the posting forum members do not particularly like the idea of TIA.

Keeping these issues in mind, as well as your less than stellar first post, I think I will take your comments with regards to the forum, much less the grand predictions on the state of the waterfront with a grain of salt.

AoD

Seriously has this guy read UrbanToronto before?

The mood here is one of anti-island-airport.

Regarding Porter, I hear that it isn't doing too well. Could be wrong, but I certainly wouldn't mind if it folded sometime in the near future.

I hope Porter survives. It's the Island airport that concerns me.

In a couple of years, YOU MARK MY WORDS, if Porter has 20 planes operating, people will start to realize how ridiculous it is. Waterfront condo values will drop, less Torontonians will come down to the waterfront (despite spending millions on it) and the millions of tourists that visit each year will think we are the dumbest city and country they've ever visited. AND THEY WILL BE RIGHT!

I know! Look what happened to London, UK with their dockland airport (with JETS!) right beside Canary Wharf - what are a disaster! The city is a wasteland, diseased people walking the streets, riots - no, wait, that's the trailer for 28 Weeks Later, or maybe Children of Men. Never mind.

High speed rail, downtown to downtown, will kill the Island Airport. Build it and they will go. Except for Al Gore, he might still fly in there.

Indeed I think that most people on this board are against the airport- or at least the expansion of it to largescale commercial operations.

"But Andrew Weir, vice-president of Tourism Toronto, said his agency finds external offices most effective in promoting conventions and business travel. Hence the choice of cities where there are heavy concentrations of business groups that plan conventions."

If this is the case I'm quite surprised that Toronto isn't marketing to more overseas cities- like Hong Kong, Toyko, Paris, Zurich and other large business centres. And why an office in Ottawa?

I was sitting at the edge of the waterfront today for lunch - right in front of the Queens' Quay Terminal building. The noise from the Porter planes was absolutely ridiculous. And they are only currently operating 4 planes and originally ordered 20. If and when they are operating 20 planes, we will hear the roar of these engines probably every 5 minutes or so. (taxiing, landing, taking off, etc.) Shocking, just absolutely shocking! And the noise will even be worse at HTO and the Music Garden. I've heard that they will likely stop doing the concerts there. I guess the type of people that would spend time in HTO would be the same people who go to Pearson and watch planes take-off and land!

I mean, if I wanted to hear the constant roar of airplanes, I'd bring a lawn chair and head out to Pearson!

In a couple of years, YOU MARK MY WORDS, if Porter has 20 planes operating, people will start to realize how ridiculous it is. Waterfront condo values will drop, less Torontonians will come down to the waterfront (despite spending millions on it) and the millions of tourists that visit each year will think we are the dumbest city and country they've ever visited. AND THEY WILL BE RIGHT!

....I once said, that the government is only as intelligent as the voters who elected them....and this board illustrates this saying beautifully!

Last Saturday, flight school was in full form- 4 planes taking off and landing almost all day. On that day, I estimated that you could hear the roar of these little planes for about 60-70% of the time that you were down there. My guess is that a decent percentage of people who came down that day will not come back for a long time. I mean what the hell...why on earth should flight school be taking place on the waterfront....here you have FOUR student pilots ruining the waterfront for THOUSANDS of people. Got it guys- FOUR vs. THOUSANDS!

Well, I've said enough. The comments on this board tells me without a doubt that Toronto's waterfront will always be crappy and could possibly even get worse. So celebrate folks!

luvbrka If you want sit and enjoy the waterfront you are in the wrong city.Chicago closes its island airport and Toronto increases air traffic .

Why waste time driving up to Pearson when you can just walk from your condo to the airport? People complain about noise and simultaneously poo-poo the suburbs yet that's what downtown living is about. The waterfront we're spending millions on is on the east side, far from the airport. If they regulated it so that they don't land/take off between 9 pm and 7 am, what's the problem? Bring more airplanes so that more people benefit. Classic nybism.

You can have a music garden anywhere else.

Why waste time driving up to Pearson when you can just walk from your condo to the airport? People complain about noise and simultaneously poo-poo the suburbs yet that's what downtown living is about. The waterfront we're spending millions on is on the east side, far from the airport. If they regulated it so that they don't land/take off between 9 pm and 7 am, what's the problem? Bring more airplanes so that more people benefit. Classic nybism.

You can have a music garden anywhere else.

1) Good point.

2) What? Downtown living is not about noise. Anywhere anyone lives we try to abate noise. Sure people downtown may have to put with more sirens, but there are lots of people living in the suburbs who have to put up with expressway noise, or very germane to this topic, Pearson airport noise. There are restrictions on flight times there too. We all try to lessen noise.

3) We're spending money all along the waterfront. The Island Airport's takeoffs and landings make noise throughout the harbour area, affecting both the Harbourfront Parks and thousands of residents (I know, the airport was there first.).

4) Find us some new acceptable specific sites to move all noise-affected waterfront properties including the Music Garden. You've got my attention.

Everyone: On NYC opening an office in Toronto I say "Why not?" I remember as an example that Southern NJ had a tourism office in Downtown Montreal and that certain areas of the Jersey Shore attracted tourists from Quebec and Ontario. The tourists that NYC is trying to attract are the ones that enjoy big cities like Toronto. LI MIKE

Back