News   Jul 25, 2024
 476     0 

Star: Newcomers Transform City

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Star:

Newcomers transform city

Fringe Benefits exhibit explores ways in which multiculturalism shapes architecture, design
Aug 12, 2008 04:30 AM
Donovan Vincent
City Hall Bureau

Architect Ian Chodikoff took a good hard look at the neighbourhoods surrounding Toronto's core and found more than the stereotypical bland subdivisions and big-box retail outlets.

He learned that immigrants, many of whom have settled in the inner and outer suburbs for housing and income reasons, are leaving an indelible imprint on the "built form" in those communities.

Places of worship, commercial and industrial complexes, community centres, sports fields – they're all being transformed by newcomers, says Chodikoff, curator of the exhibit called Fringe Benefits: Cosmopolitan Dynamics of a Multicultural City.

The exhibit, currently on display at Toronto's Design Exchange, explores through videos, maps, photography, essays and art, the ways immigrants and various ethnocultural groups are shaping the suburbs.

"In Toronto, we describe ourselves as being so multicultural. Yet in some ways the multicultural activity is not happening downtown ... the innovative results of multiculturalism are actually happening in the outskirts of Toronto,'' says Chodikoff, 38, who holds graduate degrees in architecture and urban design from the University of British Columbia and Harvard respectively.

One example is The Great Punjab Business Centre, a large complex in Mississauga intended to cater to the South Asian community.

The $25 million project, being developed by Harkiran Boparai, is expected to be complete later this year. If all goes as planned, it will provide units for restaurants, retail, wholesale, and medical and legal offices. The design of the complex is "influenced by the great buildings of the Punjab," explains Chodikoff's exhibit.

There's also T.Junction, (pronounced "T-dot junction") which, when it's finished next year, will be one of the first Tamil shopping plazas in North America. It's an 80,000-square-foot facility planned for the Eglinton and Warden Aves. area, and Sri Lankan architect Yaso Somalingam is one of the mall's four developers.

A multitude of examples in the exhibit point to how ethnic groups are expressing their cultural identity through ambitious new business ventures.

"You see developers building South Asian shopping centres, Tamil malls with night markets ... (and) you say, wait a second, this is actually very interesting," Chodikoff says. "There's actually a whole different way of thinking about our city, being brought to us by people who were born outside of Canada."

Local politicians and business leaders need to be aware of this, he argues, suggesting "conventional approaches" associated with urban planning may need to be abandoned in areas around the core.

Not that these changes come without conflict. Several years back, Markham's former deputy mayor Carole Bell sparked controversy by complaining that long-time residents were upset by an apparent takeover of the community by Chinese businesses and signage.

Chodikoff embarked on his project after studying urban life in West African countries like Senegal.

Back in Toronto, Chodikoff became interested in "informal urbanism" – the ways suburban residents use parks, strip malls, shopping centres and other public areas.

He was surprised by what he discovered in his research in various GTA neighbourhoods.

"It's amazing to go to an apartment building and on the front lawn on a Thursday night you might have 100 people picnicking on a piece of grass that a Western-raised person wouldn't think of picnicking on.

"There's a hunger for designed spaces, both built and landscaped ... we need a way to facilitate better designed solutions," Chodikoff argues.

Studies by the United Way, Statistics Canada and the University of Toronto, among others, have pointed out that poverty in Toronto is increasingly taking the shape of a ring of neighbourhoods around the downtown core.

"Trends in income polarization are creating a wealthier downtown core, while the inner suburbs are becoming increasingly poor and increasingly comprised of visible minorities,'' the exhibit points out.

"The data is clear that if you live in the suburbs you're less likely to be working in the financial industry, more likely to have less money, more likely to be a single mother and take the bus," Chodikoff says.

That's not to say that only poor minorities are living in the suburbs, he hastens to add.

There's a lot of wealth and entrepreneurialism there, too, Chodikoff says, adding that entrepreneurs with deep pockets who come from these communities are building facilities to address needs there.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/476681

AoD

Am I the only one getting the feeling Toronto is now just masturbating in the mirror at its own visage, saying to itself "oh, yeah baby, you're so hot and multicultural...yeah, you're just the hottest most accepting city ever....yeaaaaaaah."?

That's pretty interesting. Perhaps in the future when these centralised neighborhoods are more developed you can make it a sort of tourist promotion. Instead of going to Disney World and sitting in a boat, going through nasty water looking at Chucky-like dolls singing "It's a Small World Afterall', you can take an extended tour around the city, starting downtown thengoing throughout the GTA looking at the integrated yet distinct cultural establishments, then coming back downtown to bring it all together.

Oh please.... Just another annoying article from the Toronto Toilet Star. (Feel good Liberalism....yuck!) Anyone who takes their writing seriously is .....

The Star is desperate to sell papers to new Canadians; long time Toronto residents have no need to read newspapers these days....:)

Has anyone else seen the DX exhibition? I found the information in it quite fascinating, and well presented too. Unfortunately, there isn't an accompanying book. JBM in The Globe has done a couple of pieces on it too.

urbandreamer:

Actually do you know of those ethnospecific developments out in the burbs? As pedestrian the articles in the Star maybe, they are still telling us something new. Besides, while you may know about those statistical trends, many others do not.

AoD

long time Toronto residents have no need to read newspapers these days.

yes and some of them read the Toronto Sun and think Rob Ford should be mayor... :D

Well, the Toronto Sun is lunch break reading: a light "distraction" from office/factory/whatever politics....

urbandreamer:

Actually do you know of those ethnospecific developments out in the burbs? As pedestrian the articles in the Star maybe, they are still telling us something new. Besides, while you may know about those statistical trends, many others do not.

AoD

As for the Toronto Star article? AoD: Nothing new to me! Step outside of your comfort zone (90% of people I know rarely do) and you'll discover that immigrants of all stripes change neighbourhoods! Ukrainians in Manitoba c.1900??? The British "takeover" of Montreal c.1800s? Bathurst St....etc.

The real issue isn't that the "many" don't know about these trends--they do!--it's simply that they don't care!

urbandreamer:

Step outside of your comfort zone (90% of people I know rarely do) and you'll discover that immigrants of all stripes change neighbourhoods!

Just so you know, I am of Chinese descent and I am *quite* familiar with concept of immigrants and changing neighbourhoods. What does my comfort zone (??) has anything to do with it?

The real issue isn't that the "many" don't know about these trends--they do!--it's simply that they don't care!

You know about the issues - you can feel free to do your "light" Toronto Sun reading. And for those who doesn't, they can read the article and further their interest on the matter. One thing though - did you know about the Great Punjab Business Centre development prior to reading the piece?

AoD

So what exactly is this "Great Punjab Business Centre"? Anybody has any plans/renderings/photos of it?

I'm very interested in how immigrants are transforming suburban communities in ways that seem unconventional. For example, I wouldn't see mainstream Canadian developers building shopping malls like Pacific Mall (glass and brick building shell full of closet-sized shops inside, with underground parking) or Splendid China Tower (a mall converted from a closed big box Canadian Tires store). Not just the Chinese have experimented with new forms of retail development in the GTA. Virk Plaza (NE corner of Nugget and McCowan in Scarborough) is a South Asian shopping plaza converted from a semi-abandoned industrial building.

I think Toronto's immigrant suburbs have already created some interesting buildings that are unique to Toronto, and I think this experiment in built form should be encouraged.

urbandreamer:

Quote:
Step outside of your comfort zone (90% of people I know rarely do) and you'll discover that immigrants of all stripes change neighbourhoods!

Just so you know, I am of Chinese descent and I am *quite* familiar with concept of immigrants and changing neighbourhoods. What does my comfort zone (??) has anything to do with it?

Oh, probably nothing. I wasn't directing my comments specifically at you, but at society in general. I just have many friends from diverse backgrounds, and so many of them rarely show any curiousity about understanding the other's ethnic group/customs/food/organizations/etc.

You know about the issues - you can feel free to do your "light" Toronto Sun reading. And for those who doesn't, they can read the article and further their interest on the matter. One thing though - did you know about the Great Punjab Business Centre development prior to reading the piece?
AoD

Once again, I do not read the Toronto Sun myself! Just the work mates I knew that did, mostly read it for entertainment value==sports, gossip, etc. I would bet most of the "letters to the sun" are written without much thought from office work stations. Now it is true most of the people that read the Sun aren't intellectuals, but if most Torontonians are ignorant of various community centres, etc....is that really surprising? We can't all be know it alls....:)

Re: did I know about the Great Punjab Business Centre development prior to reading the Star? Yes! One of my best friends is originally from greater Chandigarh (Punjab) and is involved in the local business community.

But ultimately, I'm a curious person....

I read the National Post at home and we get both the Star and Sun at work. I try to read all of them every day. It's quite comical the differences in editorial slant. The Star: Harper is the anti-Christ, Toyota rules, never met a sob story that couldn't be put on the front page, Washington is the Source of all Evil. The National Post: McGuinty and Dion are the spawn of Satan and the Anti-Christ, universal health care is the Source of all Evil, America or Bust. The Sun: Miller is the anti-Christ, the Star is the Source of all Evil.
At worst, it's entertaining. At best, you realize the media is biased and one needs to get their sources from more than one place.

I find the Star the most ironic: while they trumpet every sob story about the poor Immigrant of the Week, I can't help but wonder if they understand they are sewing the seeds of their own destruction. I mean, with the explosion of all the other language newspapers in this city, who the hell will be left to read the Star in 20 years?

True the Stars numbers are up and they have done this by appealing to the new minorities who's political beliefs are most reflected in the Star.

sounds like somebody feels a little threatened, i enjoy seeing what immigrants are doing to change canada and if toronto star shows some of that i dont see whats so bad about that, they are recently covering development on the waterfront aswell, its not like there just focusing on one thing! heaven forbid they mention what canadians are doing to influence our cityscape.

Back