News   Aug 23, 2024
 562     0 

Star: Marketing critics hop on TTC swag bus

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Marketing critics hop on TTC swag bus

Other cities can and do milk their transit brand for big bucks. Is it time we did the same?
May 04, 2007 04:30 AM
nicolaas van Rijn
staff reporter

There's Transit Stuff and, well, there's transit stuff.

And to listen to the Toronto Transit Commission's critics – or boosters, depending on how you look at it – the transit souvenirs sold at the TTC's official Union Station outlet, Transit Stuff, just don't cut it.

So now the TTC is looking for a better way to promote its brand name by stamping its logo and images on everything from T-shirts to buttons and tote bags.

And at least one expert says the TTC has a good shot at the kind of recognition generated by transit authorities in New York and London where subway logos, maps and slogans have become synonymous with their cities.

Ashwin Joshi, associate professor of marketing at the Schulich School of Business, thinks it's time the TTC got moving, so to speak. "I think the TTC has brand equity it hasn't capitalized on," Joshi said, calling the system's quiet cachet "an under-utilized asset."

It's time the transit system got away from marketing its function and developed an image of itself that's more about bringing people together, with an underlying theme of its democratic value, Joshi said.

"Any subway car is a good snapshot of the city."

In fact, the artists have – unofficially, at least – already been at work.

Toronto blog torontoist has more than two dozen T-shirt designs posted on its website torontoist.com, heralding everything from Litter Pig to Metropass to kiss-and-ride logos. Spacing magazine's innovative buttons and new products like showers curtains emblazoned with a map of the subway system have also been mentioned.

The TTC, which makes only about $6,000 a year from its current merchandising program, can use all the help it can get.

Consider New York City, where transit-themed tchotckes earn about $60,000 for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Its website advertises memorabilia such as horns and air gauges from retired subway cars and watches with subway routes and tokens on their faces.

Similarly, tourists in London can't seem to get enough of "Mind the Gap" and "I'm Going Underground" underwear, ashtrays and key fobs.

The TTC would welcome a little more cash, but no one expects to buy new buses with T-shirt sales, according to TTC vice-chair Joe Mihevc, who says the proposed merchandising plan is more about image than money.

"It's all about branding and associating a positive experience with a name," he said. "The TTC has a great product. It's a way to sex it up."

The TTC has experimented with selling merchandise at the Davisville and Bloor stations. But its small selection didn't sell and the outlets were closed.

It now has a deal with Legacy Sportswear, which puts the TTC logo on products ranging from baby sleepers and T-shirts to coffee cups and pens, selling them mostly through the TTC's website and a leased space at Union Station.

But the arrangement isn't exclusive and TTC staff will recommend to the commission on Tuesday that it consider an arrangement similar to that of the New York MTA.

It has an external licensing co-ordinator who manages MTA merchandising through several licensees, said TTC acting chief marketing officer Alice Smith.

If the commission approves, the TTC will have to do market research on what products might appeal to Torontonians, riders and tourists, she said.

"I think we want to start repackaging public transit as a place that is attractive, that is fun to be, where you meet friends.

"I think this is part of that vision," said Mihevc, who is councillor for Ward 21, St. Paul's West.

I went to the "TTC Transit Stuff" the first time some months ago and could not believe the incredibly amateur presentation of it all. It had a kind of a "Uncle Mike's Dollar + TTC Store" look. It's nice they finally recognized just how horrid it is... I don't get it. They have the opportunity to SELL you merchandise which is also a perfect advertisment for their service... It's not even free advertising... It's 'at profit' advertising!

Link to article

Marketing critics hop on TTC swag bus

The TTC, which makes only about $6,000 a year from its current merchandising program, can use all the help it can get.

Consider New York City, where transit-themed tchotckes earn about $60,000 for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

With those kinds of numbers for NYC, this thing really isn't about making a profit, is it. But I do think it's the image that's important. The TTC should capitalize on it's image and work to improve it's image, both locally and internationally.

"The TTC has a great product. It's a way to sex it up."

I think of my recent visit to Islington Station and I can't recall thinking of it as sexy.

This was suggested a long time ago on this board, but they should open a nice store on the main level of Union Station...make it a real tourist destination and sell more than T-Shirts. I'd think TTC toy vehicles would sell quite well.

I think of my recent visit to Islington Station and I can't recall thinking of it as sexy.
buttons-mainimage.jpg

That thing on the top left ain't sexy?

I'd buy a "Kennedy" button if it doubled as a bullet-proof vest, but that still wouldn't protect one from stabbings.

Just noticed SRT buttons have been added. They really didn't expend much effort designing them...Midland station has distinctive red X metal things on the walls but the buttons are plain button-metal.

I'd also buy TTC logo patches, stickers, etc.

I also love those on Torontoist. Having professional designers design swag is the only way they are going to sell this stuff. I'd would hate to see what they would come up with themselves.

I was totally wondering whether they'd go for it and, well, there it was!

ttc28_kissandride.jpg

If the TTC ever actually tried to sell this shirt, I'm sure Rob Ford would make opposition his main election campaign issue.

Seriously, those are fantastic shirts. If the TTC didn't have the most acute case of not-invented-here syndrome of any organization ever, they'd hire this guy and use his ideas. Hell, he'd give them his ideas for free.

Walk left, stand right is, however, of a bygone era unfortunately.

So true. In the name of "safety". The TTC has gotten so patronizing lately.

It was like that boneheaded idea to suddenly remove the heavy concrete garbage bins and old newspaper boxes the TTC had and replace them with clear bags only at mezzanine level. Oh, no! Terrorism!

Of course, they couldn't even put clear bags at platform level. I bet the rate of recycling is so much lower now that the clear bags that are supposedly set for cans/plastics, newspapers and waste all have an open top.

Now we're stuck with dirtier stations and more of those freebie newspapers everywhere.

ooh kiss & ride i iike.

as for the islington button, it doesn't really look like the islington station overly. islington is pretty plain.

Back