Member Bio
Reaction score
The next Mussolini?

Link to article

Fire GO bosses if trains late: Tories

Jun 11, 2007 04:30 AM
Rob Ferguson
Queen's Park Bureau

There's one way to deal with GO trains that run too late, too often – fire the people in charge if the service can't regularly meet acceptable standards, Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory said yesterday.

GO trains will also have to serve more southern Ontario cities, perhaps as far away as Brantford and Niagara Region, to tackle gridlock in the GTA and beyond, Tory added yesterday in discussing plans to improve transportation if his party wins the Oct. 10 provincial election.

A wide range of fixes, including more buses on city streets and potentially more toll highways, would be funded by spending "every penny" of provincial gasoline and fuel taxes, about $3 billion a year, on better roads and transit within five years, Tory said.

He accused the Liberals of putting just $2 billion from those taxes into transportation.

Service delays at GO Transit over the winter and into the spring show a need for more accountability at the commuter rail line, he told the Toronto Star in an interview a day after releasing his party's 58-page election platform.

"I'd like to start by setting a standard and I'd like to start by saying the first consequence will be for people in the management of GO Transit," said the former chief executive of Rogers Cable.

"If they don't meet their own standard they'll suffer the same fate that other people suffer in business, which is you lose your job."

When GO celebrated its 40th anniversary in late May, managing director Gary McNeil called the past six months the most challenging he's had in seven years on the job because of delays caused by aging equipment, cold winter weather and labour troubles.

In terms of expansion, GO is already looking to restore service to Barrie by year's end and has long-term plans for new lines into Kitchener and Niagara, along with new locomotives and more double-decker buses due next spring to improve reliability.

The Liberals called Tory's plan to spend all fuel tax money on roads and transportation within five years "hardly ambitious" because, they say, the government has spent an average of $2.8 billion each year on those items.

Deputy Premier George Smitherman questioned how the Conservatives will pay for their transportation plans, which include a new east-west inter-regional transit line through the GTA for longer-distance commuters who don't need to stop downtown at congested Union Station.

"It's a wish list," said Smitherman, whose government's transit initiatives include extending the subway to York University and Vaughan. "He doesn't show us how he's going to get any of this done."

Tory said an accounting for his transportation and other promises will come after Ontario Auditor-General Jim McCarter releases his audit of the province's finances in the coming days.

A Conservative government would also look at options including bond issues to fund specific transportation projects and partnerships with private-sector companies to make the necessary investments, he added.

"We are really suffering in the Toronto area because we've sat around and been wringing our hands for 25 years about how we can't do things because we can't find the money. We've simply got to find the money from innovative sources," Tory said.

"I'm willing to look at any model that gets it done and that allows people to actually be putting their behind in a seat on a train or a streetcar because right now I think people are saying, `You guys talk about transit ... but nothing gets built.' I don't think we can carry on that way."

The next Mussolini?

yet still, the trains weren't always on time.

i wonder why he doesn't say the same for wheeltrans? ahh, they're just a few votes. nobody gives a shit about the cripple vote.

P.S, john tory, for someone who likes to sing about government waste, wants to provide government funding for yet another religious school system, now triplicating the services. this province his heading down a bad path. governemnts should not be funding religious indoctrination. it is totally not fair to the children to have to grow up in such an enviroment and the government shouldn't be paying for it. the values of various religions are incompatible with our society. we do not need to be brainwashed to be moral citizens. morality come from social consensus, not religious texts that can't be changed and are full of contradictions and negative human behaviour.

people should go to school to learn, not to be forced into a group.

if john tory wants to grant government funding for education, it should be for post secondary education.

the conservative governments clericalist agenda, past and present has no place here in canada.

Firing GO management - right idea for the wrong reasons, Management can't control train performance if it is related to the freight railways' incompetance or disregard to the passenger trains, but GO's lack of customer service and relations, having no contingency plans beside telling riders that they are on their own plus their parking authority mentality and unfair fares and service levels are good reasons for a shake-up. Tory doesn't get this though and is only looking for fall guys to woo suburban voters.

"I'd like to start by setting a standard and I'd like to start by saying the first consequence will be for people in the management of GO Transit," said the former chief executive of Rogers Cable.

"If they don't meet their own standard they'll suffer the same fate that other people suffer in business, which is you lose your job."

The sweet irony of that. He should know, considering how much customers of Rogers suffered...

AoD

Maybe if GO trains are unable to be run properly on CN tracks, Tory and The Tories will "fire" CN and build their own corridors. Oh, I crack myself up. I really think GO passengers are wise enough to see right through this plan.

Oh man, the PC campaign really seems lame and without focus. Maybe it's a result of the current political environment of reduced funding that we end up with a smattering of "solutions" without any form of a coordinated focus.

"GO trains will also have to serve more southern Ontario cities, perhaps as far away as Brantford and Niagara Region, to tackle gridlock in the GTA and beyond, Tory added yesterday"

In order to fight congestion in the GTA we need to improve transit... outside the GTA! Brilliant! *shudder* I hear there's some people who commute to Toronto from London each day. I know there's some who come all the way from Collingwood. Or maybe Lindsay. How about those places? I'm sure Tory and The Tories would retort that there isn't enough demand to make it worthwhile; to which I would ask how the demand is for new services to Brantford (*shudder again*) compares to improving services to existing areas. Oh right, demand doesn't matter... votes matter. Here's an easy first step, subsidise VIA to offer GO-like fares on their exisiting trains to these destinations and look at the required subsidy and demand levels.

"their transportation plans, which include a new east-west inter-regional transit line through the GTA for longer-distance commuters who don't need to stop downtown at congested Union Station."

Union's busy and it hasn't recieved a proper reno since the 1970s, time to build a bypass! Hey, it's 1990 and Pearson's Terminals 1 and 2 are congested... time to build Pickering Airport!
Okay, completely ignoring that Union might possibly be busy because (shock!) people want to go to Union station, where is this inter-regional line going to go? How frequently is it going to run? Or are you simply (I suspect) trying to re-brand the GO Busway plan so it seems like your idea?

It is obvious Tory is looking for an easy answer for a complex problem. Firing GO management if trains are late or extending trains even farther out makes little sense if someone at Clarkson, Bramalea or Cooksville can't even get a seat on the few trains GO runs.

Sounds like running a hockey team. Players stink? Not making the playoffs? Easy answer - fire the coach.

Half of the things John Tory is saying these days makes my eyes roll and this is definitely one of them. Fire GO Transit bosses who manage a company that runs trains on tracks it doesn't own with crew from other companies and which depends heavily on government funds for any infrastructure project which could be built to improve the situation? That makes no sense.

I agree that his views on education funding is another point I don't agree with. You can't build a strong multicultural society by segregating the population.

GO TRANSIT: Political meddling?

Wylie and everyone: I see myself right thru this political issue-I believe it is time for GO TRANSIT to look much closer at its relationship with CN-that seems to be much of the trouble. I have seen myself that political meddling with mass transit agencies-like NYS's MTA-can have effects-at best a somewhat well-run system or at worst a system run by political hacks that have little interest or experience on how the system is run. I feel that the experienced railroaders should run GO-not the politicians who know little or nothing about running a commuter rail operation that carries 150 thousand passengers or so daily! LI MIKE

It is impossible to fully seperate politics from transit, just as it is becoming harder to seperate highways from politics. Anything that is tied to the government and public funding will have this issue from time to time.

And GO is not the only agency with these problems. AMT has them. VIA has them too. Yes beauracratic cogs who are just their for the steady salary are an issue, but the bigger problems are not all the fault of GO but bad government policy that is going to take pressure from many groups too change. And it is changing too, even if it does seem slow at times.

I also dont think that handing it over too professional railroaders is a great answer either. There probably should be more professionals in charge, but changing people doesnt amount to changing the system. Narrow minded railroaders could be just as useless as narrow minded politicians in the end.

GO's main problem is funding, not the management. It was the Tories who created this mess in the first place. How typical of them to offer a solution that doesn't cost any money but won't have any effect either.

^Exactly. And in defence of GO, they are working towards developing a much better system in the future. Remember the plan to buy the Talents from Ottawa? While that specific deal is obviously off the books now, they are still working towards introducing smaller vehicles, be it Talents or similair vehicles in that class, on some of their lines. This may be largely out of the public view, but it is still taking place, and the process of getting approval and undergoing testing and establishment of new regulations so they can operate on some of the lines is not an easy one, especially since this will most certainly be a project that sees them not just operating on a useless stump line, but heading directly into Union Station.

As for the issue with CN and other freight operators, it is improving, slowly, and will take time to resolve, but there are quite a lot of challenges too overcome and GO cannot be blamed for a situation that is essentially out of its control.

i wonder why he doesn't say the same for wheeltrans? ahh, they're just a few votes. nobody gives a shit about the cripple vote.
Well, we are spending a load of taxpayer's dollars to put likely seldomly used elevators in the subway stations, so somebody is giving a lot more than shit for the mechanically enhanced.

Well, we are spending a load of taxpayer's dollars to put likely seldomly used elevators in the subway stations, so somebody is giving a lot more than shit for the mechanically enhanced.

do we need to go through this again?

the system is soo incomplete (these are real missing links) that the majority of people in wheelchairs can't use the ttc. it's not practical.

if instead of 2 elevators a year, they installed 15, then you might see more people using the system because the blanks are getting filled in and dots are getting connected.

if you wanna see what it's like, get in a wheelchair and try to navigate the city.

Back