News   Jul 15, 2024
 350     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 513     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

St Clair, The (10 Delisle Ave @ Yonge, Barclay-Grayson, 14s, Burka Varacalli) COMPLETE

G

ganjavih

`Uninspiring' condo won't improve with age

Condo cluttered, cheap looking

CHRISTOPHER HUME

The architectural stakes at Yonge and St. Clair are so low now, and the urban design so degraded, it shouldn't be surprising that new condo development in the once-elegant neighbourhood is so thoroughly mediocre.

The latest example of the slow decline of the mid-town area is the St. Clair.

Located just west of Yonge on the north side of De Lisle Ave., this deeply uninspiring complex has little to recommend it.

Cheap-looking, cluttered and unresolved, it has the thrown-together appearance typical of many Toronto residential projects.

With its cream-coloured concrete exteriors and pre-fabricated feel, this is a building that looks bad now and will age badly.

On the good side, the St. Clair sits on top of a public parking garage, a brilliant use of space in a city that needs to intensify.

The north side of the complex, which faces on to Heath St., is made up of three-storey townhouses.

The most distinctive features are the "snap-together" columns that support the porches.

Surrounded by buildings that have survived intact from the 1920s, when architecture still mattered, the St. Clair seems especially impoverished.

But, in fact, the tone of the area was set several decades ago when buildings like the shiny and awful St. Clair Centre (northeast corner Yonge and St. Clair) started to go up.

Now, the neighbourhood is a mess, and a powerful example of how planning and architecture in Toronto have failed the community.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grade: C

040304_condo_stclair_250.jpg

TANNIS TOOHEY/TORONTO STAR
The St. Clair has a thrown-together appearance, writes Christopher Hume.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's hard to judge from that little pic, but it does look pretty cheap.

I've passed this building a few times in my wanderings, and I have to say that the review is a tad harsh. While the materials are undoubtedly fairly cheap, they aren't so bad as Hume makes them out to be, and I thought the building looked fairly attractive - I did actually take notice of it while walking past, and stopped to take a closer look, which I wouldn't have done otherwise. At any rate, I really like the glass penthouses on top.

I live in the area and am ambivalent about the building. I'm just glad its not directly on Yonge but behind Delisle Court. Kind of softens the blow.

I read it as well, and that that a B- may have been more fair.

I live in the area and am ambivalent about the building

Definitely deserving of a higher grade considering the "glowing reviews" form ConvoyD

I work across Delisle in the CFRB building and I have to agree with Junglab. The building is mostly uninspiring but the glass penthouses on top are pretty cool.

Back