Square One Shopping Centre

what do you guys mean by there temporary?
are they evenutally going to tear down all this buildings? i dont get whats happening someone please explain lol

Likely many many many years from now ...

then what would they put in there place and what was the point in bulding them in the first place then?

Someone who knows more about MCC can chime in but I really meant many many years from now i.e. that is a extremely long term plan i.e. to use all of Square one's parking lot.

All of this retail should have been built on the south side of Square One, as it's much closer to pedestrians.

All of this retail should have been built on the south side of Square One, as it's much closer to pedestrians.

Doubt it would have made a difference other then the grocery store. This sort of retail doesn't attract pedestrians and is more suited to cars in all but the densest areas with no parking available.

All retail attracts pedestrians. There is a Panera Bread, an LCBO, Running Room, Boston Pizza, with MUCH more to come. All built too far from the condos and apartments.

This type of retail doesn't target pedestrians, it is simple as that. It is built where it is built because of abundance of parking. Being inaccessible to pedestrians doesn't matter to them.

I agree with Doady...

Square 1 has to be one of the most unappealing places to walk in the GTA. Even the SQ1 Parking lot isn't configured well for pedestrians.

You people have no clue what you're talking about.

If KFC, McDonalds, and other fast food restaurants that are inside of Square One, were outside, built on the perimeters of the parking lots of Square One, they would get a ton of business. As someone who lived across the street from Square One, it was incredibly frustrating to not have any choices for that type of quick food if the mall was closed. The options were Subway and Pizza Pizza. Oh and Tim Hortons.
These types of businesses would get tons of foot traffic from the condos and apartments surrounding the area if they had been built on the south side of Square One.

You people have no clue what you're talking about.

If KFC, McDonalds, and other fast food restaurants that are inside of Square One, were outside, built on the perimeters of the parking lots of Square One, they would get a ton of business. As someone who lived across the street from Square One, it was incredibly frustrating to not have any choices for that type of quick food if the mall was closed. The options were Subway and Pizza Pizza. Oh and Tim Hortons.
These types of businesses would get tons of foot traffic from the condos and apartments surrounding the area if they had been built on the south side of Square One.

Look, if KFC, McDonald, and the other fast food restaurants and all those other stores wanted to serve those customers living in those apartments, they would use the retail space that is directly underneath those apartments, and not some retail space in some parking lot of Square One.

In theory, if the developments are active on Burnhamthorpe strip, I would concur. More businesses around from north of SQ1 would shift from Rathburn to B'hamthorpe. In practice though, I remember nothing but long gone story of Metropole condominium. And Downtown21 plan is really deceptive at best, in intensifying a part of MCC.

Look, if KFC, McDonald, and the other fast food restaurants and all those other stores wanted to serve those customers living in those apartments, they would use the retail space that is directly underneath those apartments, and not some retail space in some parking lot of Square One.

And as far as I know, there are hardly any condo along the B'ham strip that actually has ground retail. An really attractive and thriving one.

SQ1 Whole Foods
20110112027.jpg

If you spent 20 minutes looking for a parking spot at Square One, then you are blind. I have parked there many times, and even during mad Christmas shopping, it never took more than 5 minutes. You must be looking only for the very front spots of every row at the mall, if it took you 20 minutes.

Back