Square One Shopping Centre

Do they really? I thought they started donating to LGBTQ causes because of public blowback.
Their founder is anti gay marriage, and made a number of statements to that effect in 2012. It was then found that they were donating to a number of organizations hostile to LGBTQ+ people, and following blowback they announced "Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena", and stopped donating to all but one such organizations. They've started returning to their donation list again since. They've certainly never donated a cent towards LGBTQ+ causes.
That's a little OTT. Boycotting a fried chicken restaurant is more performative than useful.
Disagree. Every boycott equals reduced potential revenue.
Not by that much. They are still doing alot of business and expanding.
I'm not expecting to close their stores with my lack of patronage, and I know that enough others simply do not care enough to think twice before choosing which chicken sandwich to buy… but they're still not getting my money nor that of any friends that I'm aware of. There are lots of other friend chicken choices out there that don't constitute a compromise.

Not by that much. They are still doing alot of business and expanding.

Yep, they have done extremely well in the GTA, they are planning a major expansion all across Canada. A lot of American chains don't last in Toronto, it's a tough market, but Chick-fil-A has been a huge success.

Their founder is anti gay marriage, and made a number of statements to that effect in 2012. It was then found that they were donating to a number of organizations hostile to LGBTQ+ people, and following blowback they announced "Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena", and stopped donating to all but one such organizations. They've started returning to their donation list again since. They've certainly never donated a cent towards LGBTQ+ causes.

I'm not expecting to close their stores with my lack of patronage, and I know that enough others simply do not care enough to think twice before choosing which chicken sandwich to buy… but they're still not getting my money nor that of any friends that I'm aware of. There are lots of other friend chicken choices out there that don't constitute a compromise.

Thanks for clarifying. They certainly won't get a cent from me either. We are spoiled for fried chicken choices here anyway, so there's honestly no justifiable reason for people to go to them.

Thanks for clarifying. They certainly won't get a cent from me either. We are spoiled for fried chicken choices here anyway, so there's honestly no justifiable reason for people to go to them.
I've never eaten there nor am I in any hurry to do so, partly because of their anti-LGBT stance. However, I wouldn't harangue a friend for buying a chicken sandwich from them.

I
FWIW the Chick-fil-A location at Square One is now open:

I walked by there last week. Lineup with extra security. People are weird.

Its not as busy as you might think (now)...

Opened July 28

I went on August 3 (Thursday at 10:45am) and there was no line.
Friend went on August 9 (Wednesday at 11:00am) and waited 5 minutes.
I went again August 14 (Monday at 7:30pm) and maybe waited 10-15 minutes.

Square One Mall (1986) Was Ahead Of Its Time.
u5yq7wqnsux41.jpg

Back