Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

aquateam

Member Bio
Reaction score
I mean, I think the markings are a great idea and will encourage the right behaviour. It's just that from my daily experience commuting in Montreal, I don't think the etiquette around letting people exit before entering has developed there yet, even with the platform markings.

I find myself constantly glaring at people, sometimes I'm even forced to shove through in order to exit the train.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I mean, I think the markings are a great idea and will encourage the right behaviour. It's just that from my daily experience commuting in Montreal, I don't think the etiquette around letting people exit before entering has developed there yet, even with the platform markings.

I find myself constantly glaring at people, sometimes I'm even forced to shove through in order to exit the train.
We clearly have experienced different things on the Metro.

begratto

Member Bio
Reaction score

I transfer from the green line to the orange line everyday at Lionel-Groulx where there are markings, and at rush hour, 99% of the people say clear of the area indicated by the markings. Sometimes you have lines-ups on each side of the markings that go almost all the way to the opposing platform. Going between the line-ups feels like you just won a marathon or something :)

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another ridership update. Took TYSSE northbound just before 11 am today. Every station between Sheppard West and YorkU is a ghost town. Few students coming to and from YorkU. SB a few hours later wasn't much better with maybe about half the seats occupied.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really think they made a mistake not making the sheppard west busses stopping primarily at Downsview Park. Sure you can get off but theres a long walk to the station so most people simple stay on until Sheppard West. It also doesn't make much sense to me if there is a GO train there that people can transfer to.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Another ridership update. Took TYSSE northbound just before 11 am today. Every station between Sheppard West and YorkU is a ghost town. Few students coming to and from YorkU. SB a few hours later wasn't much better with maybe about half the seats occupied.
When I attended York U in the early 80s Rosh Hashanah was a day the school was closed....is that still the case perhaps?

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
When I attended York U in the early 80s Rosh Hashanah was a day the school was closed....is that still the case perhaps?
No, YorkU is open today and tomorrow. Plus there aren't that many Jewish students at York and they are coming mostly from the north (Thornhill), not the south.

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Aren't most TTC subway station like that at that time of the day?
Not sure what you are trying to imply.

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
You're not sure because there's nothing being implied. Tone it down. It's an anecdotal ridership updates for all us transit junkies.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
No, YorkU is open today and tomorrow. Plus there aren't that many Jewish students at York and they are coming mostly from the north (Thornhill), not the south.
From link:

Religious Accommodation Guidelines - 2018-2019 Academic Year

The following list of Commonly Observed Dates of Religious Significance is meant as a guide to religious accommodations.

The guide has been compiled in consultation with York’s student Interfaith Council to ensure it is inclusive for York’s student body.

There are many holy days associated with various faiths, and the absence of such dates on this list should not be interpreted to mean that accommodation will not be provided to students who observe those days. University event planners and faculty members are encouraged to take these days into consideration when scheduling events.

Rosh Hashanah Begins at sunset on September 9, 2018 and ends on September 11, 2018
Yom Kippur Begins at sunset on September 18, 2018 and ends on September 19, 2018
First Two Days of Sukkot Begins at sunset on September 23, 2018 and the second day ends at nightfall on September 25, 2018
Shemini Atzeret Begins at sunset on September 30, 2018 and ends at nightfall on October 1, 2018
Simchat Torah Begins at sunset on 1 October 2018 and ends at nightfall on 2 October 2018...
The University would still be open.

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
As I said, the university is open. I can assure you the high ridership I observed last week was not due to Jewish students being on campus.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
Seems logical, most students aren't really heading to the uni at 11. I wonder how PV is doing.

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ehh, you'd be surprised. Lectures start at 8:30 am. The campus is usually pretty busy by 11.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
From link:

Religious Accommodation Guidelines - 2018-2019 Academic Year

The following list of Commonly Observed Dates of Religious Significance is meant as a guide to religious accommodations.

The guide has been compiled in consultation with York’s student Interfaith Council to ensure it is inclusive for York’s student body.

There are many holy days associated with various faiths, and the absence of such dates on this list should not be interpreted to mean that accommodation will not be provided to students who observe those days. University event planners and faculty members are encouraged to take these days into consideration when scheduling events.

The University would still be open.
What about those who believe in the FSM? Will they be accommodated? How about Jedi Knights? There's more Jedi Knights living in Canada than there are Scientologists, just from using official census data alone.