347     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

Space (255 Richmond St E, CDCL Real Estate, 16s, Rafael + Bigauskas) COMPLETE

D

donmillsview

Other than when I initially saw that reddish stucco, I've always liked 'Space'. Should come as some vindication for the builder which battled substantial NIMBY'ism for this project. I wonder what Hume would have thought had they built the original rendering?

-

Visual interest not lost in Space

CHRISTOPHER HUME

It may not be the most elegant downtown condo, but there's something endearingly earnest about Space.

Located at 255 Richmond St. E., just west of Sherbourne St., this brand new building tries hard to present a different vision of the urban residential building. In many ways, it succeeds.

This building has no pretentions about its role in the city, but it fills the site and brings life to a fully serviced part of Toronto that has never lived up to its urban potential.

Space accepts the rough and tumble environment that is Richmond and raises the level of the streetscape without looking ridiculous in the process.

The condo starts at grade as a one-storey red brick structure. Then it turns into red stucco and higher still, grey and glass. Large areas of glazing that look out at an angle are connected by horizontal bands of balconies.

This three-buildings-in-one approach helps cut down the bulk of what could easily have been another ominous slab looming over the street. The play between horizontal and vertical elements also means a less monolithic appearance.

And by stepping the façade back on the west side of the site, and extending the red brick base up on the east, where it turns into a kind of masonry fence punctuated with rectangular openings, the designers have clearly tried yet again to add an element of visual interest to the complex.

Here, at least, they are not lost in Space.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRADE: B

Boy do I hate this one. The red stucco is horrible in my opinion and will age poorly. Only good thing is it removed a parking lot and will bring people to this dead area. Another complaint, check out the gas pipes right at the front of the building. Could they not have hidden them in the back somewhere rather than have them in plain view next to the driveway and front door?

I kinda like Space too... I'm surprised so many here hate it.

Yeah, I do not mind it either. It is miles ahead of The Richmond down the street (Tridel) or the mess that is The Icon, to name just two other recent downtown projects. It may be far from great but it is certainly far from bad.

Don't you start on Icon - that's one I like. Great colours, nice size for that area.

The Richmond is too much for where it sits, and that terrible brick thing across the street to the west hurts the area as well.

A B is too generous. I am not a fan of fluorescent red brick. If they had just kept the original design, it would have been an attractive building.

Wow. what a pile of crap. this is what happens when you compromise and compromise and try to please everybody. the saying "a mule is a race horse designed by a committee" applies here. it looks like it once had a coherent design but now it just looks jumbled. the three buildings in one approach reminds me of that building at dundas and bloor. or even mississauga city hall in the jumbled-designed by a committee respect.

It looks like a Context building crowned with a Tridel. Hume must be sleeping with the property owner to have been so nice.

I agree with Hume...a good assessment. Head and shoulders above a lot of the pre-cast crap around.

personally i think this building looks like hell from both up close and afar. It fails the "fits in with the neighbourhood" thing as much as mozo succeeds. Its made considerably worse by the red brick and matching stucco that is used to "fit in". It is a monocrhomatic bright red color with bright white mortar that reminds me of suburban highschools rather than 100 year old warehouses. My bet is that this one will deteriorate quickly in our weather. Lets hope that kings court gets it right.

I haven't seen this one irl, and don't know what the surrounding buildings look like, but in that picture it appears decent. The brick in the picture doesn't appear as bright as some are making it out to be, but I guess I'll check to go check it out for myself.

Back