Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

I believe he's talking about a different wall, the famous curtainwall test that once hung like a picture on an adjacent building.

I took it and hung it in my rec room.

Here's a shot from 2006 by Sir Novelty Fashion of the old BAC Curtain Wall Test section:

DSC00055.jpg

Yeah thats the one, although I understand how I worded it could have been perceived that way though. No one seemed to care it was hanging their for like 15 years, I wonder what you would do with it.

A public art plan, prepared for 18 York Street developers GWL Realty Advisors recommends a $1.5 million public art contribution - the artist will be selected through an invitational, juried competition.

Last edited:
unfortunately ... this view of Royal York Hotel will also be soon lost ... much like its view now lost from Lake Ontario ~

but I guess that speaks 'evolution of Toronto'

unfortunately ... this view of Royal York Hotel will also be soon lost ... much like its view now lost from Lake Ontario ~

but I guess that speaks 'evolution of Toronto'
A 3 storey building would block that view. What would you rather see there to preserve that particular view?

The Royal York will always be very visible because of its location overlooking the rail corridor. But like I said in the other thread where this was brought up, expecting to see it from Lake Ontario is like expecting to see Chicago's Wrigley Building from Lake Michigan. It doesn't make any sense given how far both buildings are from the water.

The difference is that unlike the Royal York, the classic "postcard views" of Wrigley were *never* from Lake Michigan...

You'll still be able to see if from York and Bremner, heading north. As great as it looked, perched confidently on the skyline, I think we're better off for getting the development that we have down here.

When I walked by this site on the weekend, I noticed a number of beams protuding well above ground level on the north edge of the site (visible in the picture above). Is this shoring, or is it instead related to the railway work somehow? (I would have thought it was shoring - but have never seen shoring beams left that hight obove ground level.)

great news that a significant contribution to public art will be made.

this intersection will be intense when ice is finished. the area certainly isnt pedestrian friendly now, what with all the wide roads, and few areas to cross without jaywalking. i think the public art will definitely give the area character. trees will be needed as well.

i think a greater connection to the roundhouse park would be terrific. maybe a new 'entrance' or gateway arch? or some nice pedestrian bridges linking the north side of the street to the park? considering the parks proximity to such important buildings (roy thompson, cbc, acc, cn tower, skydome, the roundhouse itself) and the lake, i think it should be revitalized.

we can dream!

OMG, whenever I see this thread I just smile, because PrincewaterhouseCoopers is like the coolest name for a company ever!!

Back