News   Apr 19, 2024
 389     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 712     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 744     1 

South Core

"What strikes me about the continuing trend to build right up to the expressway’s walls is that, soon, the argument for tearing it down will all but disappear, as the marriage between public infrastructure and private space begins to look more like Le Corbusier’s 90-year-old plans for modern cities with elevated roadways. Speaking of which, I next find myself encircled by the York Street off-ramp in a lacklustre park with a dozen trees, one pathway and five light standards. This could be so much better: Contained within a steel and asphalt spiral, why not allow artists and landscapers to create a whimsical, circular park? Why not hold a competition?"

Is that the off-ramp slated for demolition?

"What strikes me about the continuing trend to build right up to the expressway’s walls is that, soon, the argument for tearing it down will all but disappear, as the marriage between public infrastructure and private space begins to look more like Le Corbusier’s 90-year-old plans for modern cities with elevated roadways. Speaking of which, I next find myself encircled by the York Street off-ramp in a lacklustre park with a dozen trees, one pathway and five light standards. This could be so much better: Contained within a steel and asphalt spiral, why not allow artists and landscapers to create a whimsical, circular park? Why not hold a competition?"

Is that the off-ramp slated for demolition?

That is a brilliant idea!

Not if the off-ramp is being demolished, as appears to be the case.

Would be nice if they kept the footings in place, so that a lighter version of the ramp could be rebuilt in its place, but for pedestrian use only. The underside could be lit up at night with red and white lights to mimic the cars that once used it as an off ramp, and the upper portion could act as an awesome observation area.

View from the waterfront - SouthCore in the background
IMG_0247.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 752
It's a shame this area was totally boxed in and never designed with a thought to these type of events being possible.
Perhaps what MLSE needs to do is find a permanent space somewhere else nearby to have these things. One that can be setup and torn down quickly and offer basic amenities.
Or, perhaps a second viewing party spot that is not nearby at all, like maybe at Downsview?

Back