90     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 366     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 453     0 

Some advice to job seekers

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Peripheral" was perhaps not the most appropriate word; more accurately 'primary'. In considering a future career path, job change or simply a job to feed and house my family, proximity to family and friends is, in my view, not a primary consideration.
I could have moved to California and earned significantly more, but essentially cut off relationships with everyone I know. Yes, I could see them a couple times a year, but that isn't a relationship, that's an acquaintance. If I had no choice, I would have done it, but my choice was really being able to afford more baubles and consumer products or being able to maintain my existing relationships.

I could have moved to California and earned significantly more, but essentially cut off relationships with everyone I know. Yes, I could see them a couple times a year, but that isn't a relationship, that's an acquaintance. If I had no choice, I would have done it, but my choice was really being able to afford more baubles and consumer products or being able to maintain my existing relationships.
This reminded me of my uncle. In the 1960s in his early 20s he left my grandparents’ house near London, took a train to Southampton, bought a one way ticket on a steamship to Sydney, Australia. He clearly sought a hard break.

This reminded me of my uncle. In the 1960s in his early 20s he left my grandparents’ house near London, took a train to Southampton, bought a one way ticket on a steamship to Sydney, Australia. He clearly sought a hard break.
My dad immigrated in the 70s from Europe. His brother did as well around the same time. The wives did not get on well, so they rarely saw each other. They meet up every month or two now (excepting the pandemic), sans wives. But my dad has had very little contact with his siblings in Europe, particularly since his parents passed. Only recently since he's gotten more into smart devices has he started to communicate with one of his sisters. That's just the way it is. Maybe I saw that severing of family connection and didn't think I wanted that. To be fair, it is far easier to stay connected these days with voip calling and IM. But if you don't see people from time to time they fade into acquaintance territory.

Maybe I saw that severing of family connection and didn't think I wanted that.
[/QUOTE]

I think there is a lot to support that. For example, many kids that grew up in an itinerate home, like 'military brats', may strive to create a more stable lifestyle of their own.
To be fair, it is far easier to stay connected these days with voip calling and IM. But if you don't see people from time to time they fade into acquaintance territory.
True, but for me they're not the same. I find that, with really solid long-term relationships, even when I only see them once or twice a year, we seem the be able to almost pick up where we left off. I just notice that when we do get together, they've really gotten older but I haven't. :D

This is such a cop out. Our Great Grandparents, Grandparents or Parents didn't let family ties, nostalgia and sentimentality keep them in the old country. In the 1970s when I was a young lad my parents moved from the UK to Mississauga, ON, leaving behind cousins, parents, friends and home. I’m sure it’s not easy, but you go where the opportunity is. And if you’re young you’ll make a new family of your own.

Yep. My parents moved from the UK to Toronto in the 1960s, my boyfriend's parents moved from India to Toronto in the early 1980s for work. I don't think they would be moving to Toronto now a days. The city is way out of their price range. My parents were able to buy a house with factory worker salaries. They got a cheap semi detached on Dovercourt, then saved up and moved to a larger home in Etobicoke. My boyfriends dad bought a restaurant, and a house on a restaurant worker salary. You would have to be a multi millionaire to do that in Toronto now a days.

Yep. My parents moved from the UK to Toronto in the 1960s, my boyfriend's parents moved from India to Toronto in the early 1980s for work. I don't think they would be moving to Toronto now a days. The city is way out of their price range. My parents were able to buy a house with factory worker salaries. They got a cheap semi detached on Dovercourt, then saved up and moved to a larger home in Etobicoke. My boyfriends dad bought a restaurant, and a house on a restaurant worker salary. You would have to be a multi millionaire to do that in Toronto now a days.
So in some ways, it makes sense that Toronto will start to be a source for diaspora, rather than a sink. I think Ontario could be doing more to promote and cultivate secondary centres in Ontario, particularly those situation in areas with less ecological and agricultural value. Like, significantly upgrade rail connectivity with Barrie (even without full-blown HSR, try to get the travel time for express service to 30 minutes) and try to pump Barrie up to a city of a few million. Same opportunity for cities like Peterborough, Brantford, KW, London. Turn this area into a bit of a bigger Randstad of denser urban areas with protected countryside in between. And maybe spread out the opportunity enough that smaller, more affordable cities are viable places to live and earn an income.

^That idea crops up routinely here on UT ;) but yes, it would be good to reduce development pressure in Toronto that way. Although for these satellite cities to become anything other than Toronto commuter towns, they would need much more local employment. Which I understand is more difficult to attract than pure residential development.

^That idea crops up routinely here on UT ;) but yes, it would be good to reduce development pressure in Toronto that way. Although for these satellite cities to become anything other than Toronto commuter towns, they would need much more local employment. Which I understand is more difficult to attract than pure residential development.
It seems like universities are a good way to seed this. KW isn't really a commuter town for Toronto currently. There is a big tech and financial services/insurance cluster there.

The reason why people ask this question is that money is a poor motivator. You want people who are at least somewhat interested in what the company does and find some satisfaction in the challenges of working on those problems. You do not want someone who took the job because they liked the idea of money but hate the work.
Exactly.

We ended up hiring an older millennial, born 1985 as only she met all the requirements of the posting. Others came close, but they violated one of the eight rules above. We couldn‘t be happier with the new hire, her productivity, creativity, and from the application onwards her attention to detail is fantastic. I‘ve already authorized an expanded role and income level.

I have written many resumés, none of which have my photo on them (it helps that my surname, Au, suggests that I am East Asian).

However, a name like John Lee can easily belong to WASPs, Blacks, or Chinese.
In the 1990s I worked for MP Derek Lee, as white a man as you can get. But he dominated the East Asian vote in Scarborough Rouge River.

Last edited:
Any insights as to which companies/industries are moving toward a blended/mostly/fully WFH model after the pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back