News   May 03, 2024
 904     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 560     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 273     0 

Smitherman's Transit plan

No, but I certainly figured there would be something with the DRL, Yonge Extension, Don Mills LRT ... not to mention the horrific problems on the King and Queen streetcars downtown (there's some reallycheap mitigation that can be done there ...). And I'm amazed that he has taken the already funded SRT extension to Sheppard off the table.

Well, construction for the SRT is to happen only in 2015 so we're not really losing time. Public consultation and design until 2015 and construction after that.

When it comes to subway expansion, anyone who doesn't prioritize the DRL is very ignorant. Politicians might not be transit experts, but high profile candidates can work with a various experts to come up with their plans. This plan is just disappointing.

As is every other plan from mayors and mayoral candidates for the past 8 years: disappointing!

unless a politician actually a) realistically costs out their transit plans and b) provides realistic detailed information as to how they will be paid for, it's all just vapourware. Smitherman might as well be promising everyone a pony.

lulz.

pbf024adunicorn1.jpg

I think the biggest problem with the plan is that non of the LRT lines actually connect, or act like a real network. Just means that the TTC will have to build 3 maintenance yards for each line, which is a huge waste and won't be able to easily move the streetcars around. Because of this I personally think that Finch would be better as a BRT than an LRT. As long as its going to be an isolated stub there is no point in putting in the rail and yard infrastructure until it's an integrated part of a broader LRT system.

Also feeling that the lack of a DLR in is a huge error.

Looking at the map you can sort of figure out the thought process that went into this:

*Scarborough and North York are major battle grounds? Promise each a new subway!
*Neglecting Etobicoke? Promise them a subway even if they don't need it!
*Everyone south of Eglinton? Don't bother, they'll just vote for anyone who is "pro-transit"

ROTFLMFAO!! I feel vindicated now after all these weeks of abuse I've had to endure over my support of the Thomson and Ford transit plans. What a farce.

SRT to Malvern funding should have been stopped long earlier.
It's not the extension to Malvern, but simply to Sheppard. If you are going to build the Sheppard LRT, and extend the subway to Scarborough Centre, why not extend it another 1.7 kilometres to at leaset Sheppard/McCowan.

The whole "plan" seems very poorly thought out.

Well, construction for the SRT is to happen only in 2015 so we're not really losing time.
That's not the issue, it that the current plan extends the SRT to Sheppard, and this one only goes to McCowan station (which in itself seems an odd choice

Last edited:
It's not the extension to Malvern, but simply to Sheppard. If you are going to build the Sheppard LRT, and extend the subway to Scarborough Centre, why not extend it another 1.7 kilometres to at leaset Sheppard/McCowan.

The whole "plan" seems very poorly thought out.

That's not the issue, it that the current plan extends the SRT to Sheppard, and this one only goes to McCowan station (which in itself seems an odd choice

The reason it goes until McCowan station is that the planners didn't want to think too much so they just put the same route as the SRT. Ultimately, this is not possible for a subway since the turns are impossible to handle. It's poor engineering knowledge and ignorance. But mainly ignorance. But true, the SRT should be extended until Sheppard.

I agree that the Transit City lines already under way should remain.

But yes, the Sherway Gardens extention is a joke, esp. considering past reports on ridership. And is extending the stubway along Sheppard through Earl Bales to Bathurst really a priority?

I'll save my rant against free transit for seniors some other day.

Overall, fairly conservative, very sketchy, few details... very McGuinty-ish.

Wow, it appears that Mr. Smitherman likes to extend existing subway lines, but does not like building new subways. Not even DRL :(

Other points:

*Eglinton LRT from Royal York to Kennedy, underground from Royal York [or Weston -?] to Don Mills

(+) If he can get this done, it fixes most of the shortcomings of the TTC's design. Being fully grade-separated between Jane and Don potentially allows the use of ATO and short (say 1.5 min) headways. With a ~500 passenger capacity of a 3-car train and 40 trains per hour, they could reach 20,000 pphpd and this is probably sufficient for long time.

(-) Given that the TTC's plan is very expensive already (> 6 billion, or 300 million / km), my concern is that these enhancements will drive the cost to the point where it beats the cost of HRT subway.

*Scarborough RT replaced by subway

(+) Right decision in principle

(-) The route (via the existing SRT alignment) is strange, given the E-W alignment of Kennedy platforms. Does Mr. Smitherman know something we don't? Or, is he simply not technical enough, or did not have a chance to look into details?

Also, the gap between STC and Sheppard LRT needs to be closed. Bring the subway one stop north to Sheppard / McCowan.

*Sheppard West to University line
*Bloor-Danforth extended west to Sherway

(-) While both extensions can be somewhat useful, they are not top priorities. Half of funding needed for DRL could probably be obtained by deferring these two projects.

Last edited:
I think that the Transit City lines underway should remain, including the SRT conversion to LRT. At least Smitherman listened to and agreed with the Mt. Dennis people in recommending an underground Weston Station on Eglinton, as opposed to the TTC's above-ground stop.

The Sheppard Subway extension from Yonge to Downsview is helpful and makes sense. The extension of the Bloor subway to Sherway will attract more Mississauga riders, for sure.

Bike expressways along the hydro corridors is a great idea.

I'll be 65 in about 5 years, so the seniors ride free plan during the weekday between the rush hours wouldn't be of much help for me. Yet.

Last edited:
Two minor points:

*Waterfront East LRT to Portlands

(+) This should be a useful project, and relatively low-cost hence will not divert much funds.

*Finch West LRT with an extension south along Highway 27

(-) The purpose of that extension along Highway 27, not connecting to Pearson, escapes me. It would be much more useful to extend the line east of Keele, and connect to Yonge.

You spelt her name wrong there, Chuck. I commend Sarah Thomson for making subway transit expansion a key issue in this election, even if it winds up costing her votes.

Two minor points:

*Waterfront East LRT to Portlands

(+) This should be a useful project, and relatively low-cost hence will not divert much funds.

*Finch West LRT with an extension south along Highway 27

(-) The purpose of that extension along Highway 27, not connecting to Pearson, escapes me. It would be much more useful to extend the line east of Keele, and connect to Yonge.

It's abundantly clear that Mr. Smitherman only proposes things that are likely to cause the fewest ripple effects/shock waves. Proposing subway extensions that won't be needed for some time while totally neglecting the downtown core speaks volumes. Waterfront East LRV is already a done deal so I don't know how he seeks to take any credit by proposing it. And any form of LRT along Finch is wasteful unless it aims to stretch all the way from Westwood Mall to Malvern Town Centre or even the Zoo. A truncated LRT does nothing besides enforce more transfer points for people trying to get all the way across the 416 north of Highway 401.

SimonP: Here is the link from his campaign site:

http://www.georgesmitherman.com/issues/116-georges-plan-to-get-toronto-moving.html

Smitherman plans to extend the tunnel only to Weston Rd.

Is it me, or is Smitherman purposely trying to kill any chance of subway expansion in the city? Who in their right minds would pursue an extension to an auto-oriented commercial and industrial wasteland And the Sheppard to Downsview? Good lord! Extend the Yonge line to Steeles first! I can live with the SRT being converted to subway. I assume the ROW can accommodate the wider trains somehow.

Not extending Finch West to Humber College? *face palm*

At least Smitherman understands the need for LRT in a transit network, unlike the other candidates, but subway portion of the plans need to be seriously re-considered. The subway to Sherway is idiotic beyond belief, as well as the Sheppard extension westward. That money could be used to on the DRL.

For once, I actually agree with you. Of all the subway extensions to do, Sheppard West and Sherway rank pretty damn low on the list (SOS even has them in Phase 3). I'd much rather see that money put into either the DRL, or not ending Eglinton at an arbitrary point like Royal York.

Back