News   Apr 25, 2024
 44     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Bloor-Lansdowne. I thought this entrance was to be integrated with a building.
I expect the building will somehow still be integrated but with the rapid timeline that they seem to be working towards on the SmartTrack stations the platform and street access points likely can't wait for any passenger pick-up drop-off loop and private condo development.

I'm trying to figure out the perspective of King Liberty, as the render doesn't seem to show any room for the Barrie Line tracks.
Yes, the Barrie line tracks are on the north side partially hidden by the canopy. When they built the Strachan underpass and widened the Queen and Dufferin overpass they designed for 8 tracks. There is enough space in the corridor to maintain 8 tracks and have one platform, but for every additional platform I believe they will loose at least one track, so with three platforms you are down to 6 tracks between Milton E&W, Kitchener E&W, Barrie N&S, UP Express E&W, plus whatever ends up in the corridor for VIA or future Bolton services, and if there are express services on some corridors there will be the challenge of getting past all the trains dwelling in the station. While many lines can share tracks outside of the stations at speed, typically there are equal or more tracks in the stations than there are in the approaches... with the approaches designed for 8 (2 milton, 2 UP, 2 Kitchener, 2 Barrie) and local trains dwelling in the station with express services planned, this is going to be an interesting situation.

I expect the building will somehow still be integrated but with the rapid timeline that they seem to be working towards on the SmartTrack stations the platform and street access points likely can't wait for any passenger pick-up drop-off loop and private condo development.

Yes, the Barrie line tracks are on the north side partially hidden by the canopy. When they built the Strachan underpass and widened the Queen and Dufferin overpass they designed for 8 tracks. There is enough space in the corridor to maintain 8 tracks and have one platform, but for every additional platform I believe they will loose at least one track, so with three platforms you are down to 6 tracks between Milton E&W, Kitchener E&W, Barrie N&S, UP Express E&W, plus whatever ends up in the corridor for VIA or future Bolton services, and if there are express services on some corridors there will be the challenge of getting past all the trains dwelling in the station. While many lines can share tracks outside of the stations at speed, typically there are equal or more tracks in the stations than there are in the approaches... with the approaches designed for 8 (2 milton, 2 UP, 2 Kitchener, 2 Barrie) and local trains dwelling in the station with express services planned, this is going to be an interesting situation.
So looking at the render, one possibility that sticks out is the sidings. Is it possible to have a platform on the side where the curb instead of limiting it to just the island platforms. The downside will be that express and local platforms will be different but you can theoretically fit far more platforms in that tight space. Although that might be too expensive since the south side is the milton track so you'd have to reallign the milton line to fit between the south side express and local tracks so that might be a bit ugly.

So looking at the render, one possibility that sticks out is the sidings. Is it possible to have a platform on the side where the curb instead of limiting it to just the island platforms. The downside will be that express and local platforms will be different but you can theoretically fit far more platforms in that tight space. Although that might be too expensive since the south side is the milton track so you'd have to reallign the milton line to fit between the south side express and local tracks so that might be a bit ugly.
If the Milton Line is finally getting the rail/rail grade separation with CN at the junction north of Bloor, they can design the bridge (or tunnel) to connect with the specific tracks that best suit the line to Union.

It could prompt the stretch of Bloor between Lansdowne and the tracks to be redeveloped.
There's a detailed discussion of the plans for the Bloor-Lansdowne station including access points in this recent report to the City's Executive Committee

The announcement seems to align to this report generally, ie the report states that ML and the City were working out final details such that procurement could start to happen in Q3 2021. Sounds like they got everything worked out sufficiently to proceed.

I wouldn't read too much into renders about track placement etc. They are hints, not blueprints.

- Paul

Or maybe pay-the-difference - TTC fare counts as a "credit" towards a GO fare, and vice versa.
No, the entire system should have 100% fare integration. When you have to pay extra to go between the same two places then that is 100% two-tiered transit.........better and faster service for those that can afford it and squat for those who can't.

If the government decided to spend the same amount {about $15 billion} on new hospitals as it is on GO, would you tolerate that these would be PRIVATE hospitals where you have to pay to get in? If not, then why should GTA citizens have to tolerate their tax dollars going towards a new transit system that also charges more? If it's not OK for hospitals then why is it OK for transit?

A bit disapointed...

1629341704333.png

No, the entire system should have 100% fare integration. When you have to pay extra to go between the same two places then that is 100% two-tiered transit.........better and faster service for those that can afford it and squat for those who can't.

If the government decided to spend the same amount {about $15 billion} on new hospitals as it is on GO, would you tolerate that these would be PRIVATE hospitals where you have to pay to get in? If not, then why should GTA citizens have to tolerate their tax dollars going towards a new transit system that also charges more? If it's not OK for hospitals then why is it OK for transit?
Yep. Just create fare zones, and as long as you stay within that zone, you pay a single fare, whether you transfer to a GO train, TTC bus, etc.

Perhaps bus stops are be placed in front of the entrances, so everything will have to be at the same level.
I believe this is what is happening at Milliken as well, so that makes sense.

King-Liberty is a much larger station than I expected and is really "squeezed" in there. It'll do wonders for neighbourhood pedestrian connectivity on top of transit connectivity.

I have lost track of which lines are slated to stop at Liberty. I believe the answer is "only some of them". If UPX stops there, it's most logical to expect that the Kitchener line will make the stop also.

If Kitchener, Milton, and Barrie (and perhaps Bolton, some day) all stopped there, it would be excessive in service level and would require far more platforms than can be squeezed in. (But quite the trainspotting location!)

Liberty needs connectivity but I don't believe that means that it's destined to be a "hub" for every last line. But maybe I have missed a memo - is there an updated statement of which lines will stop there?

- Paul

I have lost track of which lines are slated to stop at Liberty. I believe the answer is "only some of them". If UPX stops there, it's most logical to expect that the Kitchener line will make the stop also.

If Kitchener, Milton, and Barrie (and perhaps Bolton, some day) all stopped there, it would be excessive in service level and would require far more platforms than can be squeezed in. (But quite the trainspotting location!)

Liberty needs connectivity but I don't believe that means that it's destined to be a "hub" for every last line. But maybe I have missed a memo - is there an updated statement of which lines will stop there?

- Paul
It's slipping where I saw the details, but I believe it was Kitchener and potentially (unconfirmed Barrie). I definitely dont recall seeing Milton line trains ever being proposed to stop at King-Liberty.

Now UPX trains on the other hand absolutely should not stop here, it's getting to the point that it's having an excessive amount of stops.

The station has two platforms which leads me to believe that more than one line will be making the stop, which makes me think it will be Kitchener and Barrie.

Given the large amount of employment in Liberty Village, that makes sense to me.

Back