News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

That's the wonderful thing about SmartTrack. Because it isn't real, any conversation about it winds and rambles all over the place - like what gets said between three guys with a bong before they all decide they need some munchies and leave the room.

I do like the idea of just adding some stations to UPX and calling it SmartTrack. Done and done.

- Paul

Toronto would not have to change any track gauge, Catenary subway cars travel on standard rail track gauge.

Toronto would not have to change any track gauge, Catenary subway cars travel on standard rail track gauge.

Catenary subway cars are not (currently) part of TTC rolling stock, but even then, isn't there a safety issue involved in operating subway-type vehicles on sections shared with GO and Via and UP Express?

Catenary subway cars are not (currently) part of TTC rolling stock, but even then, isn't there a safety issue involved in operating subway-type vehicles on sections shared with GO and Via and UP Express?

Yes, there is. Best chance is buy the same kind of trains that Caltrain is...note the doors at low AND high levels.
tn_us-caltrain-stadler-kiss-impression1.jpg

that's an interesting design. Hopefully the high level doors don't open at the wrong time (accidently)

Canada line has two tracks at waterfront

Yes it does but on side is NEVER used because they park an auxillary train there. The trains arrive every 3 minutes to unload and then reload passengers.

As for the TTC not having any catenary subway cars now...........who cares? Toronto doesn't have any LRT trains either but that didn't stop the Crosstown. As far as safety it would be FAR safer to run catenary subway cars than 3rd rail along a function corridor. This is because if work has to be done on other GO tracks on the corridor they are easily accessible as opposed to the danger of having the workers having to negotiate around electrified 3rd rail tracks. This why so many systems in the world have been transforming their commuter/RER lines into full subway/Metro lines as it really is just a matter of adding stations and frequency.

For the trains themselves they can use barriers to separate the areas where the train speeds are high for commuter trains but where that is not possible like in the downtown areas I don't think it would be a concern as south of Bloor GO/VIA trains travel MUCH slower due to all of them heading for Union on a route that has quite few curves.

Also I would NOT recommend double level EMUs for ST. Proof has shown that they are definitely not worth the investment. The best example of this is in Australia. Sydney and Melbourne have similar suburban systems that travel out from the downtowns with many more stops than commuter rail and both systems use catenary trains. The difference is that Sydney uses bi-levels and Melbourne standard Metro cars.

Due to the relatively short distances between station, Melbourne's system is faster and more reliable because the trains are far aster to un/load while Sydney's take much longer due to 2 levels and thus fewer doors as well as stairs to negotiate and slow access for wheelchairs. The dwell times on the Sydney system are considerable longer making the trains slower and less reliable.

ST will have a lot of on/off traffic at all stations unlike the current GO where basically everyone gets on/off at Union......there are no stations where there are people getting on or off. With more suburban systems like ST one level trains are the way to go and Sydney is now ordering one-level cars like Melbourne's to speed the system along. Melbourne use to use bi-level trains but got rid of them ages ago and only now has Sydney caught on.

The interesting thing is that Melbourne's system actually has higher capacity than Sydney's despite only using one level trains because the dwell times are far less, the trains are more reliable, and the have much higher frequency capacity.

Also I would NOT recommend double level EMUs for ST.

I appreciate you've put a lot of thought into this, but there is NO WAY you're going to ever get light weight subway trains on Metrolinx corridors. You will always mix electric trains in the core with longer-haul diesel or diesel-electric hybrids in the same corridors, running interspersed through the schedule, which will require heavier duty electric trains. Its EMU for 'smart track' service on GO lines or bust.

I appreciate you've put a lot of thought into this, but there is NO WAY you're going to ever get light weight subway trains on Metrolinx corridors. You will always mix electric trains in the core with longer-haul diesel or diesel-electric hybrids in the same corridors, running interspersed through the schedule, which will require heavier duty electric trains. Its EMU for 'smart track' service on GO lines or bust.

The only and closest thing I could ever see being used on Metrolinx corridors would be the Talent2's by Bombardier,

6197.1284931994.jpg

Specifically with a Transport Canada exception that would only allow them on the Smarttrack corridor (from Mount Dennis GO station on the Kitchener Line, to Milliken on the Stouffville line) and even then only if special Positive Train Control signalling and track provisions were maintained.

Thats the closest thing you would ever see on Metrolinx track to a "subway train"

Back