News   Jun 26, 2024
 333     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 426     0 

Sleazy service award

spider

Member Bio
Reaction score
AT 2:00 am the other day my furnace started emitting a grinding screech on start up so I turned it off until I could take a look. It turns out that a little motor and fan was making the racket, probably a bad bearing.
I called a large heating contractor here in town, the one who had installed the furnace 7 years ago and they set up a service call later that morning. Meanwhile I looked at the printed material that came with the furnace and identified the offending part as an “induced draft combustion blower†it’s function is to create an air flow in the flue without which the flame will stop burning resulting in no heat.

Service guy arrives on time, agrees the blower motor is the problem and needs replacement at which point the trots out to his truck to source a part I guess. He returns with a work order already made out and priced, it seems he will be able to replace this motor/fan for me and it will only cost $899.00 including labour.

I laughed at him and asked if he really thought that was a reasonable price, he shrugged, I showed him the door but not before paying a $99.00 diagnostic fee.

10 minutes later a squirt of WD40, a little oil and we have heat again. I need a new part but now I am not a hostage. A leisurely search on the ’net reveals several US sources for the exact part but I haven’t located one here in Toronto yet. Did I mention that the part is priced at $67.00US.

Do these people commonly rip off everyone like this or was I selected for special treatment?

Do you have story to tell, let’s set up an award for the sleaziest service provider in town.

Direct Energy scores high up there, but I think the problem extends to most energy resellers. Someone tried to sign my parents up for hydro at 9 cents per kWh plus delivery. My dad laughed in his face--it's highway robbery and these people are targeting the elderly and immigrants with weak english.

Identity of scurrilous hounds

1960's music fans think of a river in the UK with a ferry across it.

You should watch it naming firms. You could expose yourself up to libel suits.

A second opinion (free and unsolicited) on the way

Sears called this AM to offer a free assessment of my furnace's condition and a free estimate to correct any problems. I suppose they will want to clean my ducts and sell me a maintenance programme for my furnace and air conditioning. Could be interesting, appointment is tomorrow PM, I'll keep you posted.

You should watch it naming firms. You could expose yourself up to libel suits.

isn't he allowed to express his opinion of the company and tell of his experience?

which part of his writing crossed the line?

Dealing with crooked contractors and service people is one of the many joys of being a homeowner. Although I’m a research scientist with very little background in repair work I am actually surprised how easy it is to fix many of these appliances. In the past two years I fixed my dishwasher and fridge using information on the internet and a quick trip to the local parts dealer.

Once the manufacturer's warranty runs out on something like a furnace, it makes sense to sign up for an annual maintenance inspection program. When my ailing 1985 furnace died in the middle of winter - about five years ago - I called Direct Energy and they signed me up, retroactively, for their annual parts replacement insurance, which included an annual check-up of the cranky old beast. I had several major bits replaced over the next few years ... and made far more off of Direct Energy than they ever made off of me.

You might want to DIY. Usually the blower motor along with the actual blower (blades) are housed in a single unit. In most furnaces they can be removed easily. Take the whole assembly to Bills Electric Sales & Service Company ( 829 Kipling Avenue ). You may have just lost a counter balance on the blower, or you may need a new motor. Bills will quickly let you know. They are honest, quick and reasonable, You should be out the door for less than $100.

One more thing. If you want quick service from an Enbridge/Direct Energy service plan, tell them that you smell rotten eggs. :D

One more thing. If you want quick service from an Enbridge/Direct Energy service plan, tell them that you smell rotten eggs. :D

and then when they get there, say: "oops, it was just grandpa that farted"

isn't he allowed to express his opinion of the company and tell of his experience?

which part of his writing crossed the line?

It doesn't matter whether they have a case or not. They can sue just to harass you. It happens often enough. He can probably discuss his experience (objectively), but his opinion will likely open him up to a libel suit. I know, it sucks, but better safe than sued.

Back