Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/642881

Has it really been two decades?
TheStar.com | Sports | Toronto's dome turns 20

May 30, 2009 04:30 AM

Garth Woolsey
Sports columnist

It has been the site of some our greatest sporting and civic moments, this architectural wonder that doffs its top when the sun shines and the events warrant.

Can it really be 20 years since the SkyDome roof first retracted for public consumption on June 3, 1989, and Mother Nature celebrated the occasion with a mocking, drenching downpour?

Since then, many more than 50 million people have visited the iconic structure to attend Blue Jays and Argonauts games, sundry other sports, conventions, revivals; to go to the fitness club or stay at the hotel or simply to gawk.

The Rolling Stones and the Backstreet Boys played there, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama spoke there, folks mourned Princess Diana and egged on Hulk Hogan there, the Jays won a pair of World Series ("touch 'em all Joe"), the Argos had Grey Cup-winning seasons, and consenting adults did unmentionable things in the hotel rooms overlooking the outfield, teenagers had first dates and/or beers, friendships were forged, marriages were proposed and accepted.

It really is something unique to behold, the place corporately called the Rogers Centre but still good, old SkyDome underneath, an engineering marvel, as much machine as building.

But two decades on, the place is also showing signs of advancing age, if not structurally so much as in the public imagination. Its vastness and greyness can give it the feel and sound of a mausoleum, the sterility of a hospital operating theatre. Its bells and whistles can't hide its oh-so 1989 feel – that's the year the Berlin Wall came down and Driving Miss Daisy won the best picture Oscar.

Once a must-attend, it has also gradually slipped down the list of best places to watch baseball: ESPN rated all 30 ballparks in 2006 and the SkyDome came in at No.23, exactly the same rating Forbes.com gave it last month in a more recent set of rankings.

Columnist Jim Caple of ESPN.com: "SkyDome is like the rich kid in your neighbourhood who was the first to get a TV/ VCR/PlayStation/DVD player. He seemed incredibly cool for a while, but as soon as everyone else got something newer and better, no one wanted to visit him any more."

Here's an anonymous but not isolated comment from a fan blog: "How unfortunate is it that T.O. so narrowly missed out on the trend of building retro-themed outdoor ballparks? SkyDome is such a depressing place to watch a game in comparison. The experience is infinitely better when the roof is open, but still lacks in atmosphere."

There are those who suggest ominously that the place that was the first in baseball history to break the 4 million single-season attendance mark is now slowly and relentlessly killing the sport in Toronto.

SkyDome may have been first of a kind, but it was also in many ways the last – a magnificent one-off. It was and is an elaborate multi-use facility that marked a transition from the bubbles and the concrete doughnut edifices of the mid- to late-20th century to the popular retro single-purpose designs that first made their mark in the majors in Baltimore, when Camden Yards opened in 1992.

They put the park back in ballpark and how long until someone important in Toronto starts to agitate for one of our own – post-recession? What then for SkyDome/Rogers Centre, built to last 100 years or more?

Hard to believe, but the Blue Jays' home is now the ninth-oldest among the 30 major-league buildings.

In hard dollar terms, the place has depreciated faster than a Big Three gas guzzler. It cost a then-whopping $600 million, much of it public money, but in 1994 was sold to a private consortium for $151 million. That group filed for bankruptcy protection in 1998 and the complex was awarded to Sportsco International LP in 1999 for $80 million. The Blue Jays, under owner Rogers Communications Inc., paid $25 million for the building in 2004 and renamed it the Rogers Centre in 2005. Notably, the Jays joined all other major league franchises in owning and/or operating their own buildings and the team has made well-received efforts to soften the dome's atmosphere.

Still, it is what it is and what it is not is a "real" ballpark even if it still has a "wow" factor for first-time visitors.

"The best thing about it is the general public has always liked the building," said Toronto architect Rod Robbie, now 80 and still active in his profession, who headed up the SkyDome design along with Ottawa structural engineer Michael Allen. "It's not been quite so much with some of the cognoscenti; I think a lot of the architectural profession never liked it."

Why would that be, he was asked. "I don't know," replied Robbie, "Jealousy maybe. I have no idea.

"There was a lot of bitchy criticism of the design, most of which didn't take into account the budgetary constraints, which were extremely severe. Nobody can quite believe that, I know. But all of this had never been done before. Let's face it, it was an experiment."

At the time it opened, Robbie noted "it was the biggest and most complex structure that's ever been moved in human history." No small feat, that.

So what would he have done with an unlimited budget? Robbie said, among other things, that his original concept called for all sorts of finishing touches that would have brightened the overwhelming greyness of the place, inside and out. Originally $50 million was allotted – but never delivered – for highly finished, precast concrete exterior cladding.

There was $5 million in artwork commissioned in 1989 and the resulting pieces have retained their charms, but they also still feel overwhelmed by the sheer dimensions of their surroundings. The Blue Jays have added huge outdoor decorative banners and greatly improved interior concourses, but the place can feel spooky without a 30,000-plus crowd in attendance.

Critics should be reminded of what came before the dome – Exhibition Stadium, the often cold and windy mistake by the lake. For all its perceived faults, the Rogers Centre has virtually no postponements due to inclement weather. But management at times seems reluctant to open the roof.

"Bright sunshine on a crisp afternoon," reads a mid-May comment from a fan on the Jays' website. "Let's play ball indoors! Why are the people who run this stadium so intent on murdering the game of baseball? Maybe they'd open the roof more often if they could figure out a way to sell cellphones by doing it. SkyDome (yes, I'm aware there's a new name) offers the worst fan experience in sport."

"They should have left the name SkyDome in there somewhere," said Robbie. "The building belongs to the public and the public chose that name. ... I've always felt that one of its functions – aside from being the home of the Blue Jays and Argonauts and so on – was to be the public forum of Toronto."

It was also designed intentionally as the matched-set "female" counterpart to the neighbouring CN Tower. Aside from being an "obvious penile symbol," Robbie said, the tower is a "strong sentinel" protecting the dome symbolically and literally – attracting lightning strikes during storms.

Robbie and Allen patented their roof design and the four MLB stadiums that are currently retractably domed do not come close to duplicating their ideas. They require a much larger footprint and produce less complete exposure to the elements, said Robbie.

He has been involved in designing several stadiums incorporating the pair's unique ideas, but none have been constructed. Robbie said he was paid by Taiwanese interests to design the main stadium for the Beijing Olympics but was eliminated in the final four of the competition.

As for the dominant uncovered, real-grass, retro, asymmetrical designs, Robbie said the Baltimore stadium's architects "made sure it diverted from what we had done," setting a trend that "very brilliantly turned to U.S. nostalgia for the game" continues to this day.

"I said back then (20 years ago)," added Robbie, "that the biggest problem this building will face is it will endure for a number of years and then something will happen and nobody will give a damn and it will be neglected for a quarter of a century."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...me-it-was-like-at-first-sight/article1166015/

Happy birthday, former SkyDome. It was like at first sight

Stephen Brunt

On the first anniversary of its opening, brightly coloured banners were hung on the outside of Toronto’s great monument to itself, an attempt to inject a little life into all of that grey concrete and to send a not-so-subtle message.

“Love Your SkyDome,†they read.

The “your†part was of course undeniably true, since it was taxpayers who footed almost the entire tab for a stadium that was originally budgeted at $150-million, and wound up costing nearly $650-million.

And the “love†part? Well that’s always been a bit tricky. Since it opened with great fanfare 20 years ago today, the dome has inspired all kinds of emotions, but love has rarely been among them.

The stadium could never engender a level of affection commensurate to its cost, and it has always been hard to get past what it almost instantly came to represent: an act of civic insecurity that seemed excessive and mistimed even before the cement was dry.

Truth is, what is now known as the Rogers Centre is not nearly as bad a place as its many persistent critics would maintain. It’s just a bit cold and a bit ordinary – outside of the retractable roof itself, which remains a remarkable piece of technology that’s never really been duplicated.

Take away the lid and what you have is a pretty standard, multiuse stadium of the type much in vogue during the 1970s, later to be replaced by sport-specific parks with design features mimicking the beloved ballyards of the past.

It is functional, but charmless (though improvements made to cut the chill and make it seem more homey, more baseball-ish – football has always been an afterthought – have indeed made a difference). Still, if you ask people who hate the building what their biggest beef is, they’re just as likely to mention bad, overpriced food and beer or officious, fun-killing ushers as anything architectural.

There’s no mystery how we wound up with the place: Politicians sitting through an ice-storm Grey Cup at awful Exhibition Stadium decided what Toronto needed most was a dome – not just to keep their delicate noggins warm and dry, but as an assertion of the city’s “world-class†status. In hindsight, at least it was cheaper than staging a world’s fair, or an Olympic Games – though having already constructed the planet’s tallest freestanding erectile whatsit for reasons now lost in the mists, Toronto was already right up there in terms of its desire to be noticed.

At just about the same time political will was coalescing behind the idea of the world’s first retractable-roofed stadium, the Toronto Blue Jays were flirting with the idea of building a home of their own. The franchise was becoming competitive, attendance was going up and so the notion of a real baseball park made sense.

The plan was to put it near Woodbine racetrack, and design it along the lines of Royals Stadium – which was then the gold standard. But when the SkyDome wave began rolling, alternative plans became futile. The Blue Jays went along for the ride, and got their stadium built for free.

Of course it wasn’t free for anyone else in Ontario, as the design became ever more elaborate, incorporating a hotel and a lavish health club and assorted frills that sent the price soaring. Money was always part of the SkyDome story. Almost from the opening, there were complaints about gouging – the famous $6 hot dogs in the private boxes being just one example.

Meanwhile, sports stadium aesthetics were about to be turned on their head.

The next major-league baseball park built was Baltimore’s Camden Yards, a clever homage to revered places such as Chicago’s Wrigley Field and Boston’s Fenway Park, which incorporated an old railroad warehouse in its design, and which was immediately hailed as the new cutting edge. A series of variations on the old-new theme immediately followed while the SkyDome stood alone, an expensive monument to a particular, fleeting moment in the history of a particular city.

But these days, there are plenty of tickets available at still-cute Camden Yards when the Orioles are out of contention. And there’s something to be said for watching a ballgame in comfort – especially for anyone old enough to remember what the aluminum seats at the Ex felt like on an April night with the wind blowing in off the lake.

It could be better. It could be worse.

And perhaps 20 years in, which for modern stadiums is advanced middle age, it’s not too late to repair the relationship.

Love may be too strong a word for it. Kind of like your SkyDome? Learn to live with your SkyDome to appreciate it for what it is, warts and all?

It’s something like that.

I still love it... always have. My only gripe is the stupid renaming. It has been and always will be, the SkyDome. Who did Ted Rogers think he was to rename such an icon? I guess he got what was coming to him...

What is wrong with you?

Or are you just hoping people will say the same thing about you when you're gone?

I have to agree with gei really.

Not sure who they think they were renaming something that was paid for with Canadian tax dollars, without approval from Canadians first.

Time really does fly. I didn't realize I was only 7 when this was built! I thought I was older.

"if life were easy, and not so fast,
i wouldn't think about the past"

happy bday skydome :) lol

...and named by a Canadian in a contest, some 20 odd years ago.
"Rogers Centre" sucks huge, "Rogers Skydome" would have been just fine.

The ROGERS SKYDOME - 20 years!

Everyone: I read the two articles in the respective papers yesterday along with a little history of Skydome events and it amazed me how multi-purpose stadiums have fallen out of favor with fans-even one that was state-of-the-art as the Skydome was in 1989.

It was the last of that group of stadiums built in the 70s and 80s with artificial turf and to house at least two teams of different major sports.

As a National League fan I have seen stadiums come and go like Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia,Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh and Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati-all three opened in 1970-71 and all three are gone in this decade after only 30-35 years of use.

Both New York teams moved into new stadiums this year with the Mets getting their Ebbets Field inspired design for the new Citi Field. Losing Shea Stadium was tough for many Met fans-I felt it could have been renovated to be football-only allowing the NY Jets to return home to Queens instead of their tenancy at Giants Stadium in the NJ Meadowlands. Shea was another remnant of the 1964-65 NY World's Fair that is now gone.

The Yankees - after spending more then a billion dollars US got their new Yankee Stadium replacing the now-inadequate mid 70s rebuilt House That Ruth Built. On a recent sports show I watched there was talk about the large amount of home runs being hit there and one host described it as "The new house that Ruth built" to be quickly corrected "The house that GEORGE built".

I can see renovating the Rogers Skydome for baseball only fixing the roof to possibly allow the field to be replaced with natural grass like Safeco Field in Seattle has. The Argos - or a Toronto NFL team - should have a stadium designed for football.

I am no fan of taxpayer funded stadiums-it amazed me how much of the Skydome was funded by tax dollars and it depreciated as much as it had.

I do remember Exhibition Stadium and I recall that it just was not designed well for baseball-would that site be practical for a stadium for football and soccer today?

Let's all see what happens in these next 20 years...
Opinions and memories from Long Island Mike

Amusingly (?) BMO was designed in such a way that it can't hold a Canadian football field.

I pretty much agree with what Brunt wrote. It's not fair to penalize the Dome for being the last stadium built before Camden Yards. That stadium came 3 years later and while I think they sometimes close the roof when they shouldn't, I think we needed a dome and it was ingenious to figure out how to do it as a retractable roof.

It's too bad it's so enclosed and it does kinda suck when the roof is closed but it's not a BAD stadium and it's awful hard to say anything nice about the Ex except in a nostalgic, romantic way. Those benches sucked, even when the weather was nice.

I also agree about the unnecessary name change. Rogers Centre is so bland and SkyDome (which was mildly controversial at the time--I believe a young girl chose it) seemed to grow on the place. Even though it has had its issues it was far better than Exhibition Stadium (oh, those benches--brrr) and is a distinct part of the downtown skyline. I just wish they weren't so quick to close the roof sometimes.

Gosh. Was it really 20 years ago that we went to that first concert ( Rod Stewart! ) at SkyDome?

Somewhere, tucked away in the basement, I still have the certificate sent to those of us who came up with the name "Sky Dome" in that contest.

I still love it... always have. My only gripe is the stupid renaming. It has been and always will be, the SkyDome. Who did Ted Rogers think he was to rename such an icon? I guess he got what was coming to him...

Well, he paid for it, so it was his stadium.

Well, he paid for it, so it was his stadium.

He paid to buy it for pittance compared to the cost to construct it, but Canadian tax dollars helped to buy the property and helped provide part of the finances to build it.
I really think it would have been respectful (and a good PR move for Rogers) to keep the Skydome name in there somewhere given the pride felt by many Canadians for the stadium, and that it was a famous symbol known around the world by that name.

I agree the name SkyDome should've been kept in there somewhere...but then people would have no reason to say "Rogers".

The Dome is very underrappreciated. With the roof open it's a nice place to watch a game. There are still many improvements I think they could make; it's far from being out of date.

Back