News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 424     0 

Skating and Outdoor Rinks

Roy G Biv

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I'm heading out with friends to do some skating at the Harbourfront tomorrow. I think they do rentals, but can anyone comment on the quality of the skates you get?

Also, feel free to share your downtown rink tips. I'm looking for some less-busy ones, and possibly some that allow hockey.

This is likely too late, but the ice and rentals at Harbourfront is miles better than what's available at Nathan Phillips Square.

A rink that is always pretty dead, Lake Devo at Ryerson. (corner of Gould and Victoria streets) The rink usually has one or two people on it and every now and then theres a small game of hockey going on.

There's an outdoor hockey rink at Ramsden Park (@ Rosedale Station), but that one can get quite busy. Another one I've been to that may be a bit less busy is at Rosedale Park. I don't know if either rents skates

There are two rinks at Regent Park, by Sumach and Shuter Sts. One of them is a shinny hockey rink, and is almost always pretty empty. The busiest I've seen it at once was maybe 10-12 people playing. It's not the greatest area, but I've never had any issues with people. At worst there are some mouthy kids, but they aren't an actual problem.

It's surprisingly difficult to find skates in the city. Canadian Tire is a mess, and carry all of 4 varieties of skates. Sportchek and National Sports aren't bad if you don't mind spending a lot. I'm going to Mississauga to find better selection, unless anyone can recommend something?

North York has a rink at Mel Lastman Square which was deserted on the various business days when I passed by. Of course, it's not downtown by a long shot, but still urban and seconds from the Yonge subway.

It's surprisingly difficult to find skates in the city. Canadian Tire is a mess, and carry all of 4 varieties of skates. Sportchek and National Sports aren't bad if you don't mind spending a lot. I'm going to Mississauga to find better selection, unless anyone can recommend something?

I have to admit, I know nothing about cheap skates... My own pair were $400 and were bought 8 years ago, so they were pretty much top of the line then. I've had the opportunity to buy new ones but I refuse to get a new pair cause these were specially formed to my feet, so I probably wouldn't be happy with anything less today.

So I'm not 100% sure where you can get cheap skates in the city other than a couple chains that came to my mind: Source for Sports (I haven't seen one in Toronto but they're definitely in the burbs) and Play it Again Sports (if you don't mind used ones). National and Sportchek are probably where I would go, but if you're just looking for something to mess around in then I'm sure something decent can be found at one of the two I mentioned.

Thanks, jn_12. I ended up getting a pair from Sportchek. They're 300% over-budget and garish, but they fit!

I tried out the rink at Harbourfront for the first time tonight and it was great.

Is Lake Devo usually kept in good condition?

I came across a picture of someone snowshoeing across the lake, in front of the skyline. It was somewhat inspiring, and got me thinking, are there any bodies of water or parts of the lake, that are frozen enough for skating? I've seen old pictures of people skating on the Don, and I'd assume that Grenadier Pond freezes over as well. Rinks are all well and good, but I've always been fond of skating on natural bodies of water.

edit,

Said picture, and it actually was a skater. Even better, it looks pretty awesome. Skating on the harbour at the foot of the city, I'd love to go out there, but I doubt the ice is what would be considered "safe".

Daily Dose of Imagery: Lone Skater

Last edited:

Back