Markham Signature Condominium Collection/Marriott (Markham, Remington, 12 + 15s, Quadrangle)

For whatever reason don't love how this one turned out; Not bad mind you !

"brick" colour clashes

Actually funny. They are painting the precast which gives them virtually unlimited tints, shades and colours to choose from yet this same dull red has been used over and over again on numerous unrelated projects.

The park benches are a great way to avoid talking with whoever is sitting beside you. And those rounded street corners will do a good job of prioritizing cars over pedestrians. Perhaps a sign saying "watch for cars" would complete the effect.

Not to be a downer, but if they are sincere about creating something urban, these are easily avoidable mistakes.

For whatever reason don't love how this one turned out; Not bad mind you !

I agree. I feel that the base of the west elevation is throwing it off, it looks too "vertically stretched" (if you catch my drift :D) compared to the rest of the development, and I don't know - maybe it's the the use of precast and the tinted glass that is just overdone in terms of the entire DT Markham area.

The park benches are a great way to avoid talking with whoever is sitting beside you. And those rounded street corners will do a good job of prioritizing cars over pedestrians. Perhaps a sign saying "watch for cars" would complete the effect.

Get real. You're complaining about rounded street corners? That's the standard used all over the world, and has been since long before the invention of the automobile. It has to at least possible for vehicles of any type to turn.

Get real. You're complaining about rounded street corners? That's the standard used all over the world, and has been since long before the invention of the automobile. It has to at least possible for vehicles of any type to turn.

It's a bad standard, and there has been plenty of qualified criticism about it. If you look at some older parts of this city and others you will find that cars are able to turn just fine without such dramatically rounded corners.

The wider the corner, the farther the crossing for pedestrians, who must deal with cars which are taking the corner at higher speeds. It's both more dangerous, and less inviting for street life.

cars additionally turn at higher speeds with wider turn radii. Enterprise and Birchmount appear to have 15m radius corners, while downtown often has ~4m radius corners. The biggest corner I can think of downtown, Bay and Front, has a roughly 10m radius, and that is a noticably worse experience to walk across as a pedestrian.

That said, large freight vehicles do have to be accommodated in these suburban areas, unlike downtown, where they very rarely travel. 15m is unnecessary though, 10m could easily have sufficed.

Back