News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 569     1 

Sick of "Absolutely"

Honestly, who cares? If a server asks if someone wants their sandwich toasted and they respond with, "absolutely"; does that not imply, 'yes'? Most likely, if they didn't want their sandwich toasted, they would opt for a simple, "no". "Absolutely", in such a context, in my opinion, would always mean yes. "Absolutely not" or, "no thanks" would be a more likely response if one didn't want their sandwich toasted. The only instance I can think of where I'd be confused by this phrasing is if someone replied with, "absolutely", to the following question -- Do you like the taste of your own feces?

Last edited:
Oh, but equally these; at the end of the day, going forward, the ball is in your court, win-win, in an abundance of caution, and the constant misuse of get/got. Yesterday I saw what should have read "She was photographed at..." converted into the increasingly popular moron language in the press ""She got photographed." I even heard the host, on a usually intelligent TV program (rare, yes), say "She goes and so I go..." instead of I said to which she said..." Yesterday the many media outlets wrote The Mayor will hire a chauffeur going forward.. I thought drivers mostly went forward.

Solution to the over-use and incorrect use of the word "like":

At the cottage, all the 10 to 15 year old girls like to hang out at my place because they think I'm cool (I'm just different from their boring parents, that's all). The rule at my place is that if a child uses the word 'like' incorrectly, they have to fork over 25 cents. When they're talking, I'll just quietly say "ding, ding, ding" as they're talking and then usually then open their eyes wide and realize what they've been saying. They then slow down their speech and choose their words carefully. Most have learnt proper english in a day or two and their parents are amazed after months or years of nagging them. I just tell the parents "Money: the great teacher of teenagers". I use the 'fines' for art supplies for the little kids. LOL They still like coming over to like my place because I'm like so cool. LOL I also teach them the subtle art of negotiating by having Monopoly marathons on rainy days - they love it, especially when the negotiating gets intense and competitive.

My attitude on the word 'absolutely'? Why on earth would I use four syllables when one will do? Same as speaking the year: I say twenty thirteen, rather than two thousand and thirteen. After all, we say nineteen thirteen, don't we?

At the cottage, all the 10 to 15 year old girls like to hang out at my place because they think I'm cool (I'm just different from their boring parents, that's all).
Sounds like a "To Catch a Predator" episode.

hqdefault.jpg

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 651
AB and Everyone: I understand your pet peeve with the overuse of the word "Absolutely" instead of just
a simple "Yes" reply in the affirmative from people and this may be the place to mention something that
is similar that I find personally annoying: The re-naming of the pound (or number-#) sign a "Hashtag"...

What is the origin of this term and when was it applied to this # character?

In closing I do feel that the oversaturation of anything can lead to a dislike by some of whatever that may be
no matter how good or positive the defined subject is...

Thoughts from LI MIKE

I haven't noticed it being used much, but I find that the word "obviously" gets unnecessarily and overused these days.

The reason why I have no qualms about the usage of the word "absolutely" is because it is correctly used. If it were incorrectly used then that would be an issue. The word "like" being used to convey something someone says (e.g. And then I was like "No way!") is plain and simply incorrect. During informal casual conversation, I don't make a big deal about it. In fact, I know I use it every now and then too, but I believe written communication needs to be proper and correct. Absolutely.

Yeah, that improper use of "like" is more so overused today. I would know because I do it too...and it bothers me that I can't help it!

This is just another sign of our society slowly degrading to puddle of mindless organisms that drool at the mouth and march along like ants. I wouldn't worry about things to much. It is fairly common for languages to change and adapt in a variety of ways. I can understand how the response of absolutely would be an appropriate response in an affirmative manner. The Subway example is a perfect example of what I mean. The person could have been surprised by the fact that they have the option of a toasted sandwich. This would invoke a happy, yet surprised positive response from myself as I would also see myself responding with a chipper "absolutely!"

Back