News   Jul 25, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 605     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 475     0 

Should e-bikes be licensed?

There are too many self-righteous drivers who are so critical of cyclists but oblivious to the bad driving habits of motorists despite licensing and police enforcement

Agreed, but my point is, we do something about that. We have means of identification, enforcement, and punishment. I challenge anyone here to say with all honestly that our roads and our lives would be better if motorists had in practice the kind of presumptive freedom and irresponsibility that cyclists enjoy.

Most of the liberties taken by cyclists don't put anyone's life in danger.

Most of the liberties motorists take don't either. Is that finally the point? I mean, should we have grades of responsibility for vehicles based solely on their size and the amount of damage they can inflict? So how would this work? It's okay for cyclists to blow through red lights anytime the like; SMART cars can do it 90% of the time or 100% of the time on off-peak hours, Mazda 3s can do it 75% of the time or anytime between 11 pm and 5 am... I mean, does this make sense to you? Or is there actually a principle here that you guys don't want to admit you find inconvenient to have to live up to?

The biggest dichotomy between bikes and other vehicles is third party liability - if we start hearing many stories of huge court wins against people who can't pay up after their e-bike hits a pedestrian then I'd bet a system will be put in place. The fact is that the damages bikes can cause now on the road for the most part are not very large.

My wife got stopped by the police for not stopping at a stop sign... at 3 AM in the morning, with no traffic anywhere. She just did a rolling stop, but I guess a racoon may have been out doing its rounds, so that must have been why she was stopped.

This is very much at the heart of my point. A standard has been set, and it is being applied, and it does make people think, and it does lead people to modify their behaviour to the benefit of us all.

But not everyone. Some of us presume to be effectively and practically above the law, and seem to take pride in that.

You're waging an odd war here. Bikes are already bound by the rules of the road and subject to the same fines that drivers are. If your issue is with the lack of enforcement, then take up that sword and I'll back you on it. But to propose an expensive licensing, registration and insurance (?) scheme for bikes just doesn't make sense. There's no cost-benefit there.

Yesterday I coming out Best Buy and crossing Mavis at Boyer and I saw the cars on Mavis completely block the traffic coming form Boyer Drive, and also block my path across the street. It wasn't unlicensed people on their e-bikes or bikes blocking the road, it was jackasses in their cars who already have licenses. It is laughable that anyone would think that motorists are more responsible than cyclist. And yeah, as a pedestrian I used the road as well. Should pedestrians be forced to get a license for walking as well?

My wife got stopped by the police for not stopping at a stop sign... at 3 AM in the morning, with no traffic anywhere. She just did a rolling stop, but I guess a racoon may have been out doing its rounds, so that must have been why she was stopped.

Oops. Now if only the police would do the same thing for autos... :)

That brings up the point of police actively enforcing infractions to see if we do indeed need to throw extra money or effort at the situation, or just be more diligent.

Last edited:

Back