News   Apr 25, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Sherway Area Study

Interesting. Wiping out an entire Smart Centre can only be seen as a good thing.

Too bad there's no mention of an LRT/streetcar along Queensway or a subway extension from Kipling. Just looks like they'll move the bus 'terminal' up to the Queensway.

Too bad there's no mention of an LRT/streetcar along Queensway or a subway extension from Kipling. Just looks like they'll move the bus 'terminal' up to the Queensway.

I thought a better way might be an LRT from Long Branch, up Browns Line to Sherway, then follow a more or less 427/East Mall-ish alignment to hit the Dominion Lands/Cloverdale (connecting with a BD extension) to the new condos. It'd hit multiple nodes/redevelopable sites.

AoD

Interesting. Wiping out an entire Smart Centre can only be seen as a good thing.

+1

Smart Centres/Power Centres are like the anti-christ of urban planning.

I think that Staff weren't allowed to propose any significant new transit infrastructure, given the state of the city's finances. Which is too bad, because either of those would be good ideas.

I thought a better way might be an LRT from Long Branch, up Browns Line to Sherway, then follow a more or less 427/East Mall-ish alignment to hit the Dominion Lands/Cloverdale (connecting with a BD extension) to the new condos. It'd hit multiple nodes/redevelopable sites.

AoD

Interesting, I've never heard this proposal before. I'm not as familiar with Brown's line as Queensway. Why not do both? All of southern etobicoke could be hemmed in with transit. Especially if they both connect to Bloor-Danforth extensions.

How does the current land ownership affect this plan? Is Smart Centres on board or will the city need to expropriate? How are their preferences incorporated into the process?

How does the current land ownership affect this plan? Is Smart Centres on board or will the city need to expropriate? How are their preferences incorporated into the process?

The city does not need to expropriate since it is not redeveloping the land or compelling it to be redeveloped, just setting out the vision in the long run. There may be OMB cases involving the specifics of any plans (ROWs, other infrastructure, density, height, whatnot) down the road.

AoD

I hope this is the most appropriate thread for this, if not, the mods will correct I’m sure)

The final report on a Secondary Plan for the Sherway Gardens area is on the agenda of the next Etobicoke-York Community Council.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.EY9.1

It roughs in a Transportation terminal near the Queensway, but treats this as a non-subway hub. The report notes that a subway extension is not a realistic possibility for quite a while, and proposes limits to cap development to a scale that can be serviced with non-higher order transit. The recommendation is that these limits be revisited if a subway extension reaches the real “to do” list for the city or province.

This seems quite sensible, and in a sane world ought to put the question of a Line 2 extension to rest. However, this being Etobicoke, and close to Ford Nation, I predict that the local Councillors will a) seize the opportunity to demand a subway and b) reject the interim development cap..... the premise being that if the area is developed beyond what lower order transit can handle, it forces the case for the subway regardless of whether that’s good planning or a sensible priority.

It’s “Humber Bay deja vu all over again”, I suspect.

- Paul

I hope this is the most appropriate thread for this, if not, the mods will correct I’m sure)

The final report on a Secondary Plan for the Sherway Gardens area is on the agenda of the next Etobicoke-York Community Council.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.EY9.1

It roughs in a Transportation terminal near the Queensway, but treats this as a non-subway hub. The report notes that a subway extension is not a realistic possibility for quite a while, and proposes limits to cap development to a scale that can be serviced with non-higher order transit. The recommendation is that these limits be revisited if a subway extension reaches the real “to do” list for the city or province.

This seems quite sensible, and in a sane world ought to put the question of a Line 2 extension to rest. However, this being Etobicoke, and close to Ford Nation, I predict that the local Councillors will a) seize the opportunity to demand a subway and b) reject the interim development cap..... the premise being that if the area is developed beyond what lower order transit can handle, it forces the case for the subway regardless of whether that’s good planning or a sensible priority.

It’s “Humber Bay deja vu all over again”, I suspect.

- Paul

This thread may be most appropriate.

From the OPA:

Back