Sheridan College (MCC, 4s, Rounthwaite Dick & Hadley Architects) COMPLETE

I believe when he said that, he meant harder to hide the overall garage. One storey of parking garage poking over the top of retail is less intrusive than 7 storeys over top.

I believe when he said that, he meant harder to hide the overall garage. One storey of parking garage poking over the top of retail is less intrusive than 7 storeys over top.

Parking doesn't need to look like parking. See the Trump thread.

It also could have been mis-worded, as there is seldom a 10 level garage built anywhere when the building it's serving is only 4 or 5 stories itself.

It will probably be in 2 sections with 5 levels each, etc... maybe one level underground and 4 above. Wouldn't be hard to wrap it with a more eye friendly exterior and/or retail along one side facing the street.

There's nothing in any of the plans that looks anything close to 7+ levels(assuming some underground).

The building render in that article is a lot nicer than the original sketches hinted at. Much less 'suburban campus' than many worried about.

There is a large hidden above ground parking garage right here in Mississauga City Centre for the Citygate towers. But I think we can agree that the developers of Trump and Citygate had a lot less room to work with than Sheridan College does?

Above-ground parking structures aren't automatically urban poison. It's not like Mississauga Centre currently has an atmosphere like the Annex that would be ruined by a huge parking structure. Large parking structures can replace acres of surface parking lots, which is always good. They can be built with relatively attractive materials and facades and can be hidden by retail and vines...and anything else, but that would require creativity. Not that anything similar would possibly get built, but Marina City in Chicago shows off the cars and looks really cool.

I assume that the proposed 10-storey lot would be a centralized facility accommodating a big chunk of Mississauga Centre's parking needs and permit some of the surface lots next to Square One to be redeveloped...but this may end up being excessive if every other project is built with parking and if/when transit is beefed up.

Last edited:
I assume that the proposed 10-storey lot would be a centralized facility accommodating a big chunk of Mississauga Centre's parking needs and permit some of the surface lots next to Square One to be redeveloped...but this may end up being excessive if every other project is built with parking and if/when transit is beefed up.
Once the additional phases of the school are added, the 350~ parking spots won't even be enough for the school. A lot of students ill come by transit, but there are always a number who might be driving in from a short distance out of town, not to mention the building staff, teachers and professors.

If the lots around Square One are going to be filled in with development as planned, we'd better get used to multi-level parking structures as there are going to be a whole bunch more of them. Any decent sized city's central business area (or "downtown" ) has garages - you just have to plan them right and design them in a way that they don't just look like decks of concrete. You could put in a dozen garages around MCC with retail or services around the ground level and it would work just fine.

The 10 storey parking structure will have a heck of a lot more than 350 spots...350 spots would be completely ridiculous to build. That 350 number refers to "two municipal parking lot," wherever those might be (edit - I think those 350+ spaces are the surface lots that will be eaten up by future phases, so once future phases are added, those 350 spots won't exist).

Last edited:
Above-ground parking structures aren't automatically urban poison. It's not like Mississauga Centre currently has an atmosphere like the Annex that would be ruined by a huge parking structure.

Yeah, MCC has so much surface parking already, it is not like a little more will have a huge negative impact. But then again there is no positive impact either. I always figured that the city should be trying to improve MCC and urbanize it, not maintain the status quo. But that's just me.

I think if the city made a serious effort and investment to improve the transit system and take the pressure off parking, then it would have to waste as much money on giant parking garages. And at the same time the problem of high car traffic volumes and overly wide roads, which building more parking garages does not solve.

But judging from the recent controversies at Hurontario/Eglinton and Clarkson, it seems that the city does not care much about transit anyways. So we are stuck with these shitty parking garages that add nothing to MCC.

There certainly is a positive impact...a large parking structure would permit more surface lots to be redeveloped, and sooner. Mississauga won't be built out for decades, if it ever happens. If one parking structure can kill four blocks of parking lots, there's nothing to lose. The parking structure can also be redeveloped one day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the parking garage as a positive. As I said, all major urban cities have parking garages, and many of them.
This is a great development for the city, and it's about time something like this came to the City Centre. It is going to change things in a big way for this area.

from the Dec 24 issue of the Mississauga News....

College contract awarded

Julia Le
Dec 24, 2009 - 9:56 AM

1a71c40b43b8ae5b896693aed09b.jpeg

Ready to build. On hand for the official groundbreaking ceremony for the new Mississauga campus of Sheridan College were, from left, Mississauga-Erindale MP Bob Dechert, Sheridan College President and CEO Dr. Robert Turner, Mayor Hazel McCallion, Ward 8 Councillor Katie Mahoney, Minister of Labour Peter Fonseca, Ward 4 Councillor Frank Dale and Michael Cloutier, Chair of the Sheridan College Board of Governors. Staff photo by Rob Beintema

The contract to build the first phase of the new Sheridan College campus in Mississauga has been awarded to the Bird Construction Income Fund.
The company has started the design work for the $46-million facility and construction is expected to be completed by mid-2011. The building of the 150,000-sq.-ft. campus will begin in February.

Officials broke ground for the campus in the city centre last Tuesday. Some 1,700 students will attend classes when the school opens in the fall of 2011.
It's expected the campus will accommodate 1,200 business students. In addition, there will be 560 spaces for new Canadians who are being retrained to enter the workforce.

When phase two of the campus is built after 2011, there will be room for 5,000 students.

The provincial and federal governments chipped in $31 million towards the cost of the new campus while Sheridan College is on the hook for $15 million.
Meanwhile, the City will lease the land to Sheridan and will operate two municipal parking lots there.

From the Downtown21 presentation:

A better quality render:

sheridanrender.jpg

(I don't get how they are showing left turn lanes approaching the roundabout)

A concept for Square One Dr as it bisects the campus. Not sure if they are planning on doing this (it's not show in any renderings):

sheridanflushstreet.jpg

Back