News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

it is not appeasement, it is politics - and like it or not, planning is a political exercise. Beware of winning the battle and losing the war.

AoD

This is a case of fairness not appeasement.

Appeasement as a political philosophy was discredited quite soundly a long time ago.

I'm sure the opponents of fair progress would love nothing more than to tar the whole process by associating it with the A-word.

That's why it makes me more than a little suspicious to see Sir Winston Churchill disappear from the grounds of city hall. Is someone trying to send a message?

from Steve Munro comments: http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9890#comments

Question to Steve: On a related note, the Star is reporting that Steven Del Duca is going to replace Glen Murray. Is this a good, bad or neutral thing for the state of LRT in the province?

Answer: Money will rain down on Scarborough, and it will be interesting to see what life remains in the LRT plans even though Metrolinx claims to be still active on them.

It would be interesting if DenfromOakvilleMilton is right after all.

from Steve Munro comments: http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9890#comments

It would be interesting if DenfromOakvilleMilton is right after all.

Yeaah it's raining money & subways in Scarborough!!

make-it-rain-guys.gif

Drake-1.jpg

"We'll take you to the Scarborough Bluffs and drop you off a cliff" - Drake

Yeaah it's raining money & subways in Scarborough!!

make-it-rain-guys.gif

Drake-1.jpg

"We'll take you to the Scarborough Bluffs and drop you off a cliff" - Drake

Ah the old Guild Inn. Wish they could find a more permanent use for it.

On another note, do we truly foresee this shuffle bringing down the SELRT? I should very much like to see Metrolinx get moving on it asap before any more pro-subway movement takes hold.

Is it the job of every councillor in Toronto to get a subway within their ward now?
Don't be surprised to see a lot more lobbying and grandstanding to get a piece of whatever is left of that $15 billion after GO electrification.

I'm not against investigating the cost and viability of the route. I believe the route is a no-brainer in terms of connectivity, just definitely not a priority.

Throw in an assessment for converting the Sheppard subway into an LRT and I'd support Pasternak's motion.

Which would be idiotic. The city has to get over this 'LRT are inferior forms of transportation' bullshit. One is not better than the other, they are just simply different forms of technologies that achieve the same purpose.

With the wider gap spacing of the Sheppard line, the LRT will achieve speeds very comparable to subways anyway.

Which would be idiotic. The city has to get over this 'LRT are inferior forms of transportation' bullshit. One is not better than the other, they are just simply different forms of technologies that achieve the same purpose.

With the wider gap spacing of the Sheppard line, the LRT will achieve speeds very comparable to subways anyway.
Go to Steve Munro's website and look at the Streetcarnage blogpost. That's why people are against LRT. It's not fair at all (look at all the crap that can happen with subways) but it is what it is.

As for this, I guess now we have a Sheppard extensions supporter. In 2001, the city said this route was even less viable then Sheppard East, so there's that.

Speaking of that... Councillor Raymond Cho has just announced his intention to table a motion asking the TTC to investigate a Rouge Park Relief Line ;)

This is really getting nonsense to put it politely. I cannot believe that councillors can put forth these motions and the money spent studying the proposals. Just in time for their re-election

For the record, I was joking about the Rouge Park Relief Line

WHAT?! The people of Rouge Park DESERVE subways. What, do you think they're second class citizens who don't deserve the very best? While you downtowners are drowning in subway stations, Rouge Park has ZERO stations! Rouge Park was promised subways and you need to keep your promise. We need to build for the future, subways last 100 years. There will be tons of condos popping up all over Rouge Park soon, so we should build subways now. We in Toronto are so short-sighted, always building under-capacity, let's do the right thing for once and build a subway for those in Rouge Park. Do you want the people of Rouge Park freezing in the cold winter skating on a frozen river? No, they should be underground in a warm SUBW

I'm not against investigating the cost and viability of the route. I believe the route is a no-brainer in terms of connectivity, just definitely not a priority.

Throw in an assessment for converting the Sheppard subway into an LRT and I'd support Pasternak's motion.

My problem is that:
A. He uses the term "relief line"
B. I strongly have the feeling it's about giving his constituents a trophy subway rather than sound planning or network connectivity

Back