News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 491     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

The majority of people are going to be torn between 2a, and 2b. I do find it interesting though, that they chose to include a brimely/sheppard station over a station on birchmount.

Warden to Kennedy is only a ~1.7km gap

Birchmount is less than 1km from a Kennedy Station

Brimley is in the range of 1.3km (from Kennedy) and McCowan about 2.2km.

Brimley is a stretch for inclusion and may be dropped (it is, in fact the only station likely to be dropped), but if retained, is more viable than Birchmount.

You can now see why I mentioned the location of the Scarborough meeting!

That said........I will note, there's a few things they aren't showing you in these slides.........

Like where an east-only extension would have its MSF, and how it would access same.

I've said that bit before, so I feel fine sharing that..............

But I would then add, there are other reasons that one of those alignments is unlikely, and I will again emphasize, nothing you are seeing here is anywhere close written in stone.

Its a bit more than a back-of-the-envelope sketch, but something well shy of 10% design, and any/all options are subject to change.

2B appears to be the likely choice however it will likely not extend east for decades, whereas 2A is more primed to expand east sooner imo
Not sure I agree with this. I think UTSC is a better extension target than Sheppard / Morningside is. A far better one.

Plus any such extension could likely run at grade on the side of the 401.

Expand option 2B east to UTSC?

If 2B were otherwise feasible, you would hit Centennial College Progress Campus first, if you headed further east.

If you went further still, you could hit Centenary Hospital Scarborough

And UTSC is just another another 1.4km down the road.
'

2A can also extend to exact same locations, after departing the Sheppard Corridor at Markham Road.

There is a potential advantage of 2B, from an expansion perspective, subject to other challenges being overcome. The SRT ROW (and same for its extension is available through to Progress), north/east of Progress, new ROW would be required.

2A to UTSC: ~6.1km

2B to UTSC: ~5.9km (from Scarborough Centre Station) *

* this omits the distance from Sheppard south to the existing SRT ROW; when that is added on a net basis (distance greater than Sheppard/McCowan) you get 7.7km.

Last edited:
Just go with 2B. Of course this happened smh. Going out to morningside will force the Eglinton East LRT to Pickering Town Centre.

Also, who is going to explain to the residents of Sheppard/McCowan that condos will be coming in full force to justify the density if 2B was built?

Last edited:
Just go with 2B. Of course this happened smh. Going out to morningside will force the Eglinton East LRT to Pickering Town Centre.

Not even a remote chance of this happening.

Also, who is going to explain to the residents of Sheppard/McCowan that condos will be coming in full force to justify the density if 2B was built?

The upzoning of that intersection is already underway, very big plans.......

Not even a remote chance of this happening.

Rarely disagree with you, but if Concept 3 is chosen, the EELRT will be DOA. Bringing it to Morningside will do nothing since that will be a slower ride downtown or to STC than the subway. It will need a trip generator. Pickering Town Centre makes perfect sense, especially with the transfer Metrolinx caused at Kennedy.

The upzoning of that intersection is already underway, very big plans.......
Glad to hear, it should be a major priority if 2B is chosen. The critics will have a field day if this is another Old Mill or Rosedale.

Rarely disagree with you, but if Concept 3 is chosen, the EELRT will be DOA

I didn't say the EELRT would not be DOA in that scenario. Though it wouldn't have to be.

What I said is, there is zero chance of it going to Pickering Town Centre.

The original vision for the EELRT had it stopping at UTSC, which is the trip generator it is meant to serve.

The northern leg was really about better transit for Malvern. I don't think as proposed it really delivers that.

Last edited:
Confusing. So the thin line represents elevated, and the thick line represents underground?

No.

The thin line is the existing Sheppard subway.

It will not be above ground in the west end at all. * (except, maybe when crossing the valley)

Nor would it be above ground west of Victoria Park in any scenario.

One could debate......under options 2A, and 3 where elevated grade may begin, or may not.........

Option 2B would almost certainly be above grade where it would follow the existing SRT ROW, and on to Centennial College as there is no case for it being underground at that point. East there of......could involve some very animated conversation.

Last edited:
Pickering Town Centre.
Pickering Town Centre.
Pickering Town Centre.
hick-town
Haven't you heard? We are no longer a hick town! We still have our mall carpet, but look out... Bougie and upscale 'shops' here we come!

Sorry, not much work to do today lol...

On topic... I must say @Northern Light I thought there was more to this... I feel like so far, it's pretty much what I expected before the hints. And yes to your points above, more of a very early design...I understand, just eager to see something more.

No.

The thin line is the existing Sheppard subway.

It will not be above ground in the west end at all. * (except, maybe when crossing the valley)

Nor would it be above ground west of Victoria Park in any scenario.

One could debate......under options 2A, and 3 where elevated grade may begin, or may not.........

Option 2B would almost certainly be above grade where it would follow the existing SRT ROW, and on to Centennial College as there is no case for it being underground at that point. East there of......could involve some very animated conversation.
If we were to elevate the extension eastward, we wouldn't be able to being the elevation until Victoria Park. There's no way we could elevate over the 404. Especially with the extension beginning at Don Mills, which is underground. From Victoria Park to McCowan, we're talking about a distance of 5.4km. The line would have to go back underground at McCowan to meet up with the Scarborough extension, yeah? So we're talking about constructing an elevated portion that's probably only going to be about 4km long. What's the point? Because Vancouver does it?

They should look at extending the Sheppard line westward all the way to Rivald Rd. Potential future connection to the Bolton line. Build a transit hub for both TTC & GO on the corner of Rivald Rd. & Sheppard. I'm sure MX can move the Tim Horton's and trucking school that currently inhabit that area.

Last edited:

Back