381     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
I'm pretty sure when it was built, Eaton Co. owned the part (50%) of the Eaton Centre, as well as 250 Yonge St. Between the first and second bankruptcies, though, they sold their interest and did a leaseback, if I'm not mistaken.

Good article. I don't love Sears, but the one that's at Eaton Centre's pretty good. Having said that, I wouldn't mind Simons or Nordstrom to come to Toronto either. No reason they couldn't find another site...

Anyone know where they're going to put the Apple store? I hope it'll have flagship-type status.

Here's the article the PAVED blog alludes to:

Retail: Trading Sears For La Maison Simons?
by Zena Olijnyk
Rumour has it, Quebec retailer La Maison Simons could move into Sears headquarters at Toronto's Eaton Centre.
2005-09-26
For fashionistas, a trip to downtown Montreal isn't complete without a spree at La Maison Simons on St. Catherine Street. Whether to check out end-of-season deals on cool designer threads--a salmon pink Juicy Couture linen jacket marked down to $60 from $250, for example--or to pick up the latest in hip, moderately priced fashions, shoppers can bet the store will be packed.

Out-of-province fans often wonder if the "junior" department store chain, headquartered in Quebec City, will ever expand outside la belle province. The answer, says president Peter Simons, a member of the fifth generation to run the family business since its founding in 1840, is a definite maybe. "You never say never, " says Simons, who admits he's had many offers to venture beyond Quebec. And opportunity could soon open up. Industry watchers speculate whether the Sears Canada location at the downtown Toronto Eaton Centre might become available. The troubled retailer plans to reduce costs by cutting staff and shedding unproductive retail space.

Right now, however, Simons has no specific expansion plans--he's concentrating on internal growth at the chain's seven stores. One reason for looking inward: size. "A Simons store at 80,000 square feet is almost a development," says Simons. "It has to go with a development. That's a little tougher for landlords; there aren't many malls being developed now." Besides, Simons is not a believer in growth for growth's sake; he's more concerned with whether it will deliver above-average return on capital. Simons points to what happened when Quebec department store retailer Les Ailes de la Mode tried to reach beyond its grasp. In August, the Fairweather Group in Toronto bought Les Ailes for $6.2 million; it had been unsuccessful in restructuring after seeking protection from creditors in December 2003.

Sears' largest shareholder, hedge-fund guru Edward S. Lampert, left experts scratching their heads again Monday after Sears announced it had agreed to buy Sears Canada and operate it as a subsidiary.

Sears Holdings already owns 53.8 percent of Sears Canada's shares, but most analysts had predicted that Sears would sell its stake in its Canadian sibling rather than acquire it.

Yet the takeover would repeat a common Lampert tactic: Sears shareholders gain a dividend payment, while the retailer pumps out a sharp improvement in earnings and sheds massive amounts of jobs and costs.

Sears offered $718.5 million for the Canadian company's shares, an 8.7 percent premium over Friday's closing stock price. A major Canadian shareholder, Natcan Investment Management, has agreed to support the deal by tendering its stake of more than 9 percent of Sears Canada's outstanding shares. The deal is expected to close in the first three months of 2006.

Click here for latest stock quote
The deal calls for Sears' shareholders -- Lampert is the biggest single shareholder -- to gain a one-time dividend payment from the sale of Sears Canada's credit-card business to JPMorgan Chase & Co.

In many ways, the Canadian deal aims to achieve the same kinds of cost cuts and cost savings as Lampert envisioned when he engineered Kmart's $12.3 billion buy of Sears Roebuck on March 24.

Sears can wield its larger size to squeeze cost savings from suppliers in Canada, and to use the two retailers' North American distribution network more efficiently.

Lampert will take charge, getting rid of many of Sears Canada's executives and their administrative functions.

And Sears Canada will no longer report its finances in the detailed way it did as a standalone company.

The cost-cutting would make Sears a more viable rival in Canada against competitors such as Wal-Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot, which are growing in Canada but aren't as deeply rooted there as they are in the United States.

"If Sears centralizes lots of Sears Canada's functions, it would save a fortune," said Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a retail-consulting and investment-banking firm based in New York.

Sears could also save money by putting the same merchandise in its Canadian stores as it does in the United States, and vice versa, opening the way for Martha Stewart Living to take a bigger presence in Sears stores here. Sears Canada has sold Stewart's home furnishings for more than two years.

Sears took a similar step in the United States Monday by naming executives to oversee merchandising for both Sears and Kmart. The executives, Peter Whitsett and Dan Laughlin, will report directly to Lampert.

Analysts played a guessing game Monday about Lampert's other interests in Sears Canada: Lampert may want to fend off a rival suitor for Sears Canada; sell Sears Canada's real estate; set up Sears Canada for a merger with fellow Canadian retailer Hudson's Bay, or simply realize a tax advantage.

Lampert long ago declared he was less interested in sales results than in realizing profits.

Indeed, sales at Sears stores open at least a year -- a key measure of retailing strength -- are expected to have declined when Sears reports earnings today. Sears Canada reported in October that its same-store sales in the third quarter dropped 8.2 percent from a year earlier.

Speaking of the eaton's centre, I'm always surprised by the dearth of customers at Sears. It's also my impression that there's not much merchandise on display. For the life of me, I cannot see how this can be sustainable for Sears. My guess is that this site will see another change over.

The kids are no longer afraid of going through the tunnel under the former Sears store.
/
the tunnel under the former Sears was somewhat forbidding

I'm not familiar with Gerrard Square, what is this referring to? What was this tunnel and where did it go?

Could Cadillac Fairview buy the DT location and turn it into more mall? Keep the exterior and redo the inside. Eaton centre would be HUGE then...and who doesn't love huge malls?

well, I don't really but I digress here. I recall a shopping centre in Minneapolis that is like this and we saw many smaller versions of this type of deal in Buenos Aires.

"Re DT Sears, anybody walking through those abandoned aisles could tell you that they're not making any money there, even with their bargain lease rates."

The aisles are certainly not abandoned - there's about 1000 people a minute walking through Sears to get to the rest of the Mall, and they're very actively ignoring the merchandise.

*Sears will soon vacate the Eaton Centre as they aren't making any money in that location
*The Bay will close both Queen St and Bloor St, but will combine the two stores in the smaller Sears (old Eaton's) location
*The first few floors of The Bay Queen St will become another "urban mall" and the upper floors will become (get this!) a U of T library / resource centre.

People have been talking about that first rumour for ages.

The second rumour doesn't make sense. Even having lost one floor (the old Two Below, which now houses Old Navy, etc.), the old Eaton's store is about the same size as the Bay Queen Street. And Eaton's was having problem getting customers to the upper floors of that store, and Sears appears to be having an even worse time (and the customers don't even appear to be bothering to check out the merchandise on the first two floors). Not sure why the Bay would go from a building they own into a leased space that hasn't really worked well as a department store in two decades. Sears took over Eaton's insanely favourable lease terms/rates, and they still want to move out. I can only imagine Cadillac is dying to get its hands on that space -- imagine how much money they could make by extending the mall through there with a number of smaller retailers.

The third rumour -- that one makes even less sense. UofT has wads of cash for that much floor space at Yonge and Queen? Not even for business school uses catering to corporate types, but for a library/resource centre.

Sears suffers because who wants to travel all the way downtown to go to a store that you can go to in any mall in any suburb or small town?? This city needs a brand name department store that will draw people.

It was bound to happen: (from The Star)

Sears to close another floor
Toronto, Vancouver stores scale back
Company struggling, target of takeover bid
Jul. 27, 2006. 06:47 AM
DANA FLAVELLE
BUSINESS REPORTER

Sears Canada is closing another floor in its flagship Eaton Centre store in downtown Toronto, the company confirmed yesterday.

It's the second time Sears has downsized the former Eaton store since buying it from the failing T. Eaton Co. in 1999.

Sears, which has been struggling and is the target of a takeover bid, said it's also closing two floors in its downtown Vancouver location. That store was also part of the iconic Eaton's chain.

Both locations will now have a total of five floors each, Sears Canada spokesperson Vince Power said yesterday. A typical Sears store has two or fewer floors, he noted.

The company believes the move will make the stores more productive without hurting sales, Power said.

"We're doing some compacting," he said, noting that in Toronto electronics is moving to the same floor as menswear and two floors of women's wear are being combined on one floor. "Every category will still be represented."

There is no impact on staffing levels in the stores, he added. The plans were announced internally last March, he said. The company has yet to decide what to do with the empty floors.

The move will cut lighting and cleaning costs, he noted.

A spokesperson for the landlord, Cadillac Fairview Corp., said it doesn't comment on tenant matters.

Sears' majority shareholder, Sears Holdings Corp. in the U.S., has made a bid for the rest of the company in order to take it private.

A group of minority shareholders has complained about the offer and asked Ontario's securities watchdog to investigate. A decision is pending.

The company owns 220 stores across the country.

Now I wonder if it'll be a bottom floor (thereby probably making more "mall" to the Eaton Centre) or a top floor, thereby leading to underused and akward office space.

They seem to be gradually closing up shop from the top down. There used to be a 7th floor - for low priced stuff - when it was an Eatons store.

...and from bottoms up too as the B2 (I think it is) floor of the Eaton Centre (where the Old Navy, etc, is) was also part of Eaton's at one point.

The store was originally 9 storeys. When Eaton's first went into receivership, the top floor (7 above) was converted to head office space (Eaton's sold its stake in the 250 Yonge office tower). When Sears opened its eatons store in 2000 or so, it gave up another floor (2 below), which Cadillac converted into mall space. Sears recently closed the 6th floor, and as I cut through the store on my way to grab some food at lunch today, I noticed that they were installing the bedding and linens department on the men's floor (1 below), which was formerly on the 5th floor. God knows where they are putting the rest of the 5th floor departments.

What was a dumpy store (since it became Sears), is now looking even dumpier. And it remains largely empty, but for the cut-through traffic.

Back