News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 719     0 

Save Transit City Canvass!

Well, I wouldn't have missed it if you had interpreted mine correctly. One good turn deserves another!

My point was to be pro-active in the community instead of sitting idly by showing that I don't really care about this. Sure, I know your disdain for TC fairly well, and there are some things about it I don't agree, HOWEVER, I for one am sick and tired of waiting for nothing. We can always build subways later down the road (not literally), but we can't wait to do nothing is what I'm getting at. It feels good to get out there and actually try to help residents understand what is and isn't being done for transit here.

And I applauded you for being proactive with the community. I wasn't knocking you for that, quite the opposite. All I was trying to say is that it's maybe jumping to conclusions that the new plan that the TTC is working on is going to rip everything down and start from scratch. I really don't think that will be the case. Who knows, the new plan may actually fix some of those things with Transit City that you don't agree with.

I think that the real activism work will start once the new plan is released. Then there will be two very clear options for transit in Toronto.

More broadly, I have to yet to see statements from Ford that Eglinton is dead....well other than saying Transit City is dead. I don't see that line as inferring that Eglinton is dead. This was a corridor that was slated to see a subway before. So I fail to see how even killing Transit City would mean Eglinton would get nothing in perpetuity. My point being, I don't see the value in getting worked up before we see an actual plan that officially kills off Eglinton.

He did not expressly say Eglinton is out. The problem is that he has no money for both Eglinton and a significant extension of Sheppard subway. If he keeps pushing for Sheppard subway, it means redirection of Eglinton funds to Sheppard. If he accepts Eglinton, he must back off on Sheppard.

I don't think there are any active (read: not banned) SOS members who currently live in the City of Toronto, so direct involvement with the community is a little challenging.

So the fact that I moved away from Toronto for work makes my opinion about transit less valid?

He did not expressly say Eglinton is out. The problem is that he has no money for both Eglinton and a significant extension of Sheppard subway. If he keeps pushing for Sheppard subway, it means redirection of Eglinton funds to Sheppard. If he accepts Eglinton, he must back off on Sheppard.

I don't think the TTC (or Metrolinx) are going to budge much on Eglinton. As a result, any significant Sheppard subway extension is out.

The City of Toronto would require 16 MILLION people to justify subways? The New York City proper only has 8 million! What are you smoking? I think you're extrapolating thrown together data to such an obscene extent as to not even be worthy of discussion. It simply doesn't. Make. Sense.

That graph simply boggles my mind. I can't even think of a polite way to put it.
Sorry I wasn't available on the weekend to address these angry comments! Just catching up now...

The density thing is about how much you could pay out of the farebox, versus how much you could get from a taxpayer, any taxpayer.

Looking at the MTA's financial statements, the whole MTA looks like 2.5 billion annually in operating subsidies from city and state government, covering about 44% or more of the annual operating costs, still leaving a 2 billion dollar operating deficit if I’m reading it correctly.

Sorry you got confused. I'll use brighter colours next time.

Last edited:
From his logic, Hong Kong isn't dense enough for subways. Hong Kong would have to quadruple its population, in fact, to have the "required" density.

Hong Kong does in fact achieve the required density. THe stated cutoff is 25k/km2.

Kowloon's density is 43,000/km2. Hong Kong Island is "only" 15,000 but only a third of the island is built upon. HK Island is a bit smaller than the geographic size of "old" Toronto, over twice the population, and 2/3 the island is a nature reserve, or simply too steep to build upon.The urban areas exceed 40,000.

Even the New Territories, the traditional "Backyard" of HK, has a density similar to Toronto; clustered as a series of ~100-400,000 person "new towns" of very high density (Tung Chung on Lantau is planned for 27k/km2) with nature reserves and true rural areas between them. The East and West rail lines that serve them lie somewhere in that fuzzy boundary between metro and commuter rail; both lines run above ground except where tunnelled through mountains and where they terminate in Kowloon.

Even in HK there is no Sheppard-style suburban perimeter line. Everything's radial beyond the heaviest urban concentration.

lafard is correct.

Hong kong has like 60,000 people per square kilometre density in specific points in Kowloon, but on average across the whole territories (much of which is uninhabitable) its like 6000 or so according to google.

Land lease and property developer status of MTR makes their system work, they operate at a slight profit due to the real estate interests, not because of the system.

Plus, their capital investments were all paid by the Brits as a big f-you to China. HK had a lot of reserve cash, the British didn’t want the Chinese getting it, so they dumped it all into massive infrastructure spending right before handover, so Hong Kong citizens got loads of goodies, China got no money, but they also couldn’t complain because of the infrastructure that got built.

Government bureaucracy runs very differently in HK. To oversimplify it, every major department is basically a non-profit entity unto itself with its own property development arm, and all property is owned by the state, and released through land leases in a very controlled way, even permits for redevelopment, etc.

Plus they never had a military to spend money on – it used to be the Brits, now the Chinese are the de facto military, iirc.

It inflates land value like crazy, but it works out well in the big public admin picture.

Regarding the cutoff, L.A. or San Francisco or someone in California figured that out, and I figured it was a good one given their wage system there in hippy dippy highway gridlock Cali.

Singapore paid for their NATIONAL subway through a combination of property development, defense expenditure, and sovereign funds.

Last edited:
Not at all - it's just hard for you to be an on-the-ground advocate for anything in Toronto when you're in Ottawa.

Very true. Although if it's a weekend thing I may be able to do it. But if I can't do that, I'll stick to cyber-advocating, haha (I have been quite vocal on facebook and the like).

Sounds like the next canvass will be in Malvern. Will be interesting to talk to people there and find out what they really think of the various options.

I'm skeptical that a canvass in Malvern could see anything close to the turnout of the canvass at Yonge and Eglinton.

I also see that they are asking people to meet at Malvern Town Centre. Surprising since that is over a kilometre from Sheppard Ave

I'm skeptical that a canvass in Malvern could see anything close to the turnout of the canvass at Yonge and Eglinton.

I also see that they are asking people to meet at Malvern Town Centre. Surprising since that is over a kilometre from Sheppard Ave

That does seem a bit odd to me, especially because Malvern will see virtually no benefit from Transit City (or at least its current version), as the SRT will stop at Sheppard. If the SRT was going all the way to Malvern in this phase, I could see some logic behind it.

EDIT: Overall, canvassing in Scarborough to save TC seems a bit odd to me. I mean, it's the only area of the city that will actually benefit from Ford's plan. If you're looking for some place other than Eglinton to canvass, I would suggest somewhere along Finch West. There hasn't been much talk about the FWLRT, but that neighbourhood would certainly feel it if that LRT was pulled out from under them, especially because there's no alternative being proposed for that area.

Last edited:

Back