News   Aug 26, 2024
 232     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 376     1 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Safety solution to mix up pedestrians, bikes and cars into "shared spaces."

Even in the Netherlands, this type of bikeway is quite uncommon in the centre of cities. They mostly appear within modernist areas where the traditional street pattern was obliterated, and as access roads to large parking facilities. In this case, it is both.

Inner cities tend to have mostly fietsstraaten (basically bicycle paths that some people can drive on to access some properties), single-direction bicycle paths, and occasionally bicycle lanes.

Yeah. It depends on the city. This is an inner suburb of The Hague where there are some pretty wide avenues and most of the traditional street pattern is still there:

http://goo.gl/maps/G5r2g

Wow, that's some pretty impressive recognition!

Yes, I was just walking away from the Jaarbeursplein bicycle parking garage, toward the northeast.

It's really hard to tell where it is in Maps or Streetview, because the entire area is being re-built. Jaarbeursplein (the square) is much more grand now, and I don't remember that ugly slab building blocking the view of the station either. I think that this is Jaarbeursplein (the street), and the parking garage has been torn down and replaced with a light rail station. The picture is facing northeast.

Thanks. It looked like a plaza near a train station to me, so I went with that. I had no idea about the light rail station being built but while looking into the history of the system there I found out that in the early '80s the rolling stock was built by SIG, who had assembled the first half-dozen CLRVs for Toronto, and it looked like this:

SU_et-5001.JPG

These are still in service, having been renovated in 2000-2001 and again in 2011-12, with new front ends, digital route displays, etc., to look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Qbuzz_5022_als_U-tram,_Jaarbeursplein.JPG

Interesting to think what might have become of the CLRVs and ALRVs had they undergone a similar refresh.

Attachments

• SU_et-5001.JPG
    SU_et-5001.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 328
These are still in service, having been renovated in 2000-2001 and again in 2011-12, with new front ends, digital route displays, etc., to look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Qbuzz_5022_als_U-tram,_Jaarbeursplein.JPG

Interesting to think what might have become of the CLRVs and ALRVs had they undergone a similar refresh.

The sad part is that the C/ALRVs were designed to accommodate a mid-life upgrade to LRT, which never happened. That's why their floor height was so high (to standardize with our subway trains), they could operate as multiple units and be upgraded to pantograph power collection.

Also in that picture of Jaarbeursplein station, the tower in the background looks like it might be in the process of being torn down.

Attachments

• streetcar-4504-09.jpg
    streetcar-4504-09.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 231

Back