News   Apr 19, 2024
 466     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.5K     2 

Running passenger trains on the CPR mactier sub?

D

dan e 1980

why not?

this division started out as the Toronto Gray & Bruce Railroad (TG&BR) a very long time ago, i think it was 1854. it started as a passenger service, there were many stations along the line. it wasn't really a transit line like in a GO sense, it covered a long distance but you can kinda say that its stations were spaced out like in a GO transit sense.

i was just reading tonight that south of vaughan, the mactier sub is under used. i have noticed too that there seems to be less trains than from the time i was a kid. the section is already double tracked.

my question is, why doesn't go transit start running trains on this section - at least on one track?

i know GO wants to double track the georgetown corridor, why not use one of the CP tracks on the macteir line all the way up to weston?

another question i have, do the CPR tracks go to union station or do they end at the west toronto diamond? i'm pretty sure that when the TG&BR started out, the track went to union but alot could have changed since then.

MacTier is the CP mainline for trains going over the top of the Great Lakes to Western Canada and CP definitely won't be selling one of those tracks to CN. If GO decides to start a Woodbridge and Bolton service then they would run on those tracks then but not before. Switching from CN to CP tracks or crossing lines is problematic which is why the GO is spending a lot of money putting in underpasses where lines cross the CN mainline just north of Steeles and at the diamond where the CN Georgetown crosses the CP line. Unless CP sells the track to CN or GO from the Toronto Juntion to Weston the trains entering the track and exiting the track would need to call for approval. South of the diamond the MacTier subdivision does not exist as far as I know. I think south of the diamond they are using the land which used to have MacTier sub tracks for Railpath which is a linear park and bikepath.

Railpath

South of West Toronto Diamond, CPR's tracks change from the Mactier to the Galt Subdivision, which is west of the CN tracks. Those tracks are now owned by GO.

Uh, I'm assuming you know enough to know that GO can't just run trains on whatever tracks it wants, right?

Service to Woodbridge and Bolton via the Mactier is in GO's long-term plans, and the corridor is identified in the City's Official Plan. I've said it before, and I'll say it again but rail operations in the corridor between Weston and Union need to be majorily re-organized to get the level of service desired.

thanks for the info guys.

south of the diamond where thy wanna make railpath, are they gonna have to remove abandoned railway track? does any part of the original TG&BR narrow gauge track still exist?

i assume they removed track long ago to recycle it.

service to Woodbridge and Bolton via the Mactier is in GO's long-term plans

that's good to hear. i wonder what will be done since there would be redundant service in the corridor all the way up to weston?

Uh, I'm assuming you know enough to know that GO can't just run trains on whatever tracks it wants, right?

i know. they have to make an agreement, there's safety conditions, etc.

Switching from CN to CP tracks or crossing lines is problematic which is why the GO is spending a lot of money putting in underpasses where lines cross the CN mainline just north of Steeles and at the diamond where the CN Georgetown crosses the CP line.

i know. the problem is that the corridor north of church street in weston gets narrow. you might be able to fit one more track in there (maybe) but to fit any more, there would have to be an overhaul of that section. i was thinking that if GO shared the west most CP track, it could branch off of it where the CN &CP fork away and continue out west.

tight fork

when are they gonna start the diamond grade seperation? will they allocate room for future expansion? up to how many tracks?

I think south of the diamond they are using the land which used to have MacTier sub tracks for Railpath which is a linear park and bikepath.

cool. i just hope it doesn't destroy the railway charm, grit, etc.

that's good to hear. i wonder what will be done since there would be redundant service in the corridor all the way up to weston?

Redundant? Most passengers go to or from Union to points in the 905. The Georgetown line stops at Bloor but the number of people using that station is quite low. The Milton line goes right past the same location and doesn't even bother to stop. Most passengers aren't going to Weston station or Bloor station so there really isn't any redundancy since the Georgetown and Bolton lines would server totally different markets. When they put in the line to Bolton Weston would probably continue to be served only by the Georgetown service since the cost of installing a platform on the MacTier tracks the Bolton route would be running on would be a waste of money.

when are they gonna start the diamond grade seperation? will they allocate room for future expansion? up to how many tracks?

Not sure. I know it is budgeted but I have no idea where it is in the process.

When they put in the line to Bolton Weston would probably continue to be served only by the Georgetown service since the cost of installing a platform on the MacTier tracks the Bolton route would be running on would be a waste of money

that's what i mean by redundant. i don't think they can have two weston stations side by side. that would be crazy.

they could... maybe put stations along the bolton line but in different spots - kinda stagger them. maybe a station at wilson, eglinton, etc.

some old news....

For Immediate Release:
July 9, 2003 &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

MEDIA CONTACT:
Nick Tunnacliffe
Commissioner
Planning
Region of Peel
905-791-7800, Ext. 4349

Peel Urges Ontario Government to Consider Go Train Service for Bolton

(Brampton) - Peel Regional Council wants GO Transit to consider a commuter train service to Bolton. Regional Chair Emil Kolb will be urging both GO Transit and Ontario's Ministry of Transportation to begin a feasibility study on this service.

Kolb and Region of Peel's Council anticipate that a GO Train service on the Canadian Pacific Rail line, with stations at Bolton and Vaughan, will attract a large number of commuters from Brampton and Caledon. The service will help manage urban growth, ease traffic congestion in Peel and take some pressure off the Georgetown line.

"There is a lot of planning work required before introducing train service on the Bolton line," said Nick Tunnacliffe, Commissioner of Planning. "We want Ontario's Transportation Minister Frank Klees and GO Transit Chair Gordon Chong to initiate a study for a Bolton service without delay."

Recognizing the need to protect property designated for the site of a future Bolton train station, Council has authorized staff to start negotiations with property owners. The Real Estate Team will begin the process with an "Option to Purchase" agreement.

Back