Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

While we're on the topic of actual renovations, Andrew Stoeten from the Athletic came out with this piece a few weeks back:

Perhaps that's obvious, given the talk about extending the building's life by 30 years, but what would that even look like?

A source with knowledge of proposals made by an architectural design firm working with the Blue Jays on the project told The Athletic it would be a “dramatic reconfiguration.” For example, one consideration is to rotate the entire field clockwise. In this scenario the Flight Deck would now sit along the left field line, and when the roof is open the CN Tower would be in view as backdrop for fans sitting behind the plate. The giant video scoreboard that's now in centre would remain, helping to break the too-symmetrical cookie cutter nature of the current setup. To that end, the fence line in this reconfiguration could change to have a bit more “real ballpark” character, and the area that would become right field might become an open concourse — something that is perhaps made possible by the fact that there is still room on that side of the building to expand its footprint to the east. (The source adds that, were they to do this, much would need to be done to reconfigure the roof for sunlight/shadow reasons, but tells me that there is a solution for this.)

Rotated field or not, not only does reconfiguring and upgrading the building's seats seem to be a given (having all seats actually face the action on the field would be a huge improvement), but openness seems the order of the day, whether that be more patio spaces like the ones at Petco Park in San Diego, or simply by widening concourses by expanding the building outward and removing seats. Interestingly, the source adds that another large part of the plan involves making the Dome a destination that can generate revenue during the offseason. This doesn't mean more Monster Truck rallies, but by making the Dome a destination people go to when the Jays aren't playing. For example, one of the things that was pitched was to open/run local restaurants throughout the 200 level to give the ballpark a more “Toronto” feel.

Essentially, Rogers is considering the possibility of rotating the entire field clockwise in order to open up the eastern areas facing the CN Tower. It would also be interesting to see how renovation proposals may incorporate the potential Rail Deck Park.

While we're on the topic of actual renovations, Andrew Stoeten from the Athletic came out with this piece a few weeks back:

Perhaps that's obvious, given the talk about extending the building's life by 30 years, but what would that even look like?

A source with knowledge of proposals made by an architectural design firm working with the Blue Jays on the project told The Athletic it would be a “dramatic reconfiguration.” For example, one consideration is to rotate the entire field clockwise. In this scenario the Flight Deck would now sit along the left field line, and when the roof is open the CN Tower would be in view as backdrop for fans sitting behind the plate. The giant video scoreboard that's now in centre would remain, helping to break the too-symmetrical cookie cutter nature of the current setup. To that end, the fence line in this reconfiguration could change to have a bit more “real ballpark” character, and the area that would become right field might become an open concourse — something that is perhaps made possible by the fact that there is still room on that side of the building to expand its footprint to the east. (The source adds that, were they to do this, much would need to be done to reconfigure the roof for sunlight/shadow reasons, but tells me that there is a solution for this.)

Rotated field or not, not only does reconfiguring and upgrading the building's seats seem to be a given (having all seats actually face the action on the field would be a huge improvement), but openness seems the order of the day, whether that be more patio spaces like the ones at Petco Park in San Diego, or simply by widening concourses by expanding the building outward and removing seats. Interestingly, the source adds that another large part of the plan involves making the Dome a destination that can generate revenue during the offseason. This doesn't mean more Monster Truck rallies, but by making the Dome a destination people go to when the Jays aren't playing. For example, one of the things that was pitched was to open/run local restaurants throughout the 200 level to give the ballpark a more “Toronto” feel.

Essentially, Rogers is considering the possibility of rotating the entire field clockwise in order to open up the eastern areas facing the CN Tower. It would also be interesting to see how renovation proposals may incorporate the potential Rail Deck Park.

Would it be 'opening it up' in the sense that there's a large concourse, or would they actually be replacing some of the concrete with glass so people could see outside?

Would it be 'opening it up' in the sense that there's a large concourse, or would they actually be replacing some of the concrete with glass so people could see outside?

I would guess a bit of both. I think the key concept with any renovation is to let more natural light into the place.

Rotating the field would be a huge undertaking. There are deep cutouts in the concrete floor for the infield dirt and pitchers mound (in fact the pitchers mound is on a hydraulic lift which would have to be removed at minimum or possibly relocated if they intend to have the mound on a lift in the new config).

I think there are lots of other things that can be done to improve the stadium before even entertaining the thought of rotating the field.

I don't really see what the value of rotating it would be anyways...as ballparks go the viewing angles are pretty superb as is.

I'm not so sure I'd use the word "superb". There are some bad sight lines. But I think in this scenario, the main draw would be the CN Tower and surrounding buildings as the backdrop when the dome is open. As it is now, you just have this big, dark, metallic backdrop. If you could have the CN Tower and sky as your backdrop, it would be like Busch Stadium with the Gateway Arch.

Last edited:
Had free tickets to the game last night and was reminded why I don’t go to games until they start to open the roof. Even with a decent Friday night crowd there is just no ambience or atmosphere with the roof closed. On the plus side, I discovered that Skydome wifi is strong enough to support streaming the Raptors game.

Rotating the field would be a huge undertaking. There are deep cutouts in the concrete floor for the infield dirt and pitchers mound (in fact the pitchers mound is on a hydraulic lift which would have to be removed at minimum or possibly relocated if they intend to have the mound on a lift in the new config).

I think there are lots of other things that can be done to improve the stadium before even entertaining the thought of rotating the field.

According to the article I read, the field rotation idea has actually been conceptualized by a design and engineering firm. Whether they actually go ahead with the plan depends on how much Rogers is willing to spend. Shapiro has prepared various tiers of renovations, all relative to the overall cost.

The basis of rotating the field would be to create a new CF area wherein the east end of the Dome would be opened up to connect with the rest of the CN Tower/Aquarium spaces. Some sort of new fan entrances and spaces would be created.

Tampa are going with a translucent roof on their new stadium - will remain an enclosed dome

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1016750422076411904

Dhw5HCvXUAMaArf.jpg

Dhw5HOTXkAIiOgt.jpg

Back