Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I met Ed Sprague in a hotel bar a few years back, after a few beverages he didn't hold back his dislike for Cito Gaston. Ed had nothing positive to say about the guy. Which surprised me.

Maybe Cito had told him to stop juicing.

The new paving stones around the stadium is nice. It would be great to see it extended on the south side along Bremner (the former concrete pavement remains on the City-owned property). It would be great also if the new jersey barriers around the stadium, per new security protocols, were spruced up with wrapping such as those along the King St. Pilot project. The wood planter boxes are nice and do soften the landscape, but they take up a lot of real estate when there's a lot of foot traffic before and after games.

I can't imagine Cito encouraged it. If so, he owes Cito a debt of gratitude. :p

The new paving stones around the stadium is nice. It would be great to see it extended on the south side along Bremner (the former concrete pavement remains on the City-owned property). It would be great also if the new jersey barriers around the stadium, per new security protocols, were spruced up with wrapping such as those along the King St. Pilot project. The wood planter boxes are nice and do soften the landscape, but they take up a lot of real estate when there's a lot of foot traffic before and after games.

The planters are definitely well done.

The Dome exterior hasn't aged all that well. I feel like a re-cladding is what will ultimately be necessary.

Carter runs a golf tournament here every year. Im sure theres plenty of opportunity for people to witness his jack assedness, if he were one.

But it's coming back.

It's funny that the only statue in front of a ball park is of an old white guy who happened to own the team, yet didn't care for the Jays, or baseball in general? Meanwhile most of the people who actually made a mark and fondly remembered by fans are Latino or Black.

While some player statues would be fitting, I'd say that characterizing Ted Rogers as someone who didn't care for the Jays is unfair. Not only did he seem to care, he greenlit a huge contract for Delgado as soon as he took over, along with increased spending in general.

Rogers has actually been a fantastic owner.

A statue of Roberto Alomar spitting in John Hirshbeck's face would be a fitting gesture toward Rogers re their undignified renaming of the SkyDome.

Personally, I think the only players worthy of a statue outside of the Dome are Dave Stieb and Joe Carter. Alomar was probably the most God-gifted talent the Blue Jays organization has ever had (honourable mentions to Paul Molitor and Josh Donaldson), but his lack of humility and decency (namely, the incident I cited above) rubs me the wrong way. I would much rather honour Joe Carter. He is one of those guys that you can't help but fall in love with the second you meet or are introduced to him. The man is full of class and is one of the most extroverted, friendly and all-around good people I have ever witnessed in professional sports or elsewhere. I liken Alomar and Carter to Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark. Gilmour was the more gifted, graceful athlete, but Clark was the heart and soul of the Leafs for a decade. He was such a clutch player and always gave his all whenever he stepped onto the ice. Watching him play got into your blood and filled you with a joy unlike anything you could ever imagine.

As for Joe Carter; he was no slouch in the statistics department. He always hit for poor average, but he was reliable for 30 home runs and 100 RBI each season. Alomar was a more complete player, but Carter undergirded those early 90s Jays teams with more than just his solid play. His presence was contagious and surely inspired his fellow teammates to be their best and to not acquiesce in the face of defeat or when hopes were diminished. What could possibly be more appropriate than a statue evoking Carter's legendary 1993 World Series, walk-off home run? Not only is that the most defining moment in Blue Jays history, it is probably the greatest in the entirety of Major League Baseball. I can't think of anything that can match it. Additionally, whatever the future holds for the Jays -- whether they win more World Series, down the road -- I can't imagine anything will ever parallel Carter's famous home run. It is a timeless event that will likely stand above all others in Jays' history in perpetuity. I think it is a no-brainer to depict this crucial moment in the team's history in a tangible way. It is a classic moment that will live on forever.

Here are some potential photos that a statue of him could be modeled after:

AP Photo/Mark Duncan

Perhaps a depiction of him being hoisted up by his teammates and fist pumping the air, after he crossed home plate?

Your comments about Alomar are pretty unfounded considering him and Hirshbeck made amends after the incident and are now good friends: https://www.si.com/vault/2015/07/09/106342560/roberto-alomar--john-hirschbeck

Joe Carter's statistical accomplishments are generally way overblown by casual Jays fans to the point where some have made the claim he should be a Hall of Famer. He was simply a good but not great player who benefited greatly from the supporting cast of players around him.

I agree that his walk-off HR is perhaps one of the most captivating moments in MLB history. I can watch video of that moment over and over again and I still get chills from watching it.

Reactions: syn
Your comments about Alomar are pretty unfounded considering him and Hirshbeck made amends after the incident and are now good friends: https://www.si.com/vault/2015/07/09/106342560/roberto-alomar--john-hirschbeck

Joe Carter's statistical accomplishments are generally way overblown by casual Jays fans to the point where some have made the claim he should be a Hall of Famer. He was simply a good but not great player who benefited greatly from the supporting cast of players around him.

I agree that his walk-off HR is perhaps one of the most captivating moments in MLB history. I can watch video of that moment over and over again and I still get chills from watching it.

Carter was definitely overrated, in hindsight anyways. The focus on HR and RBI masked the fact that he wasn't a huge factor, overall. His 1991 season was very good (4.7 WAR) and he declined consistently after that. His WARs in 1992 and 1993 (2.5 and 2.0) were only 6th among position players on the team. In 1994 he was basically replacement level, and below replacement level for the rest of his career. He's not remotely close to Hall of Fame player, though his HR was the biggest in Jays history.

aba06477a87e81fa2accbd315f6115c4

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/two-nutballs-scaled-rogers-centres-icy-roof-fix-hole-005645017.html

Last edited:

Back